PDA

View Full Version : Is expired film stored in freezer still good?

badbluesman
8-Jun-2010, 22:31
I have two boxes of 5x7 T-MAX 400 film that were part of a special order placed in 2002. The expiration date on the boxes was 2005. These boxes are unopened and have been stored in a freezer ever since I received the film. Before I received my share of the order it may have been sitting somewhere for a week or two. Also I had to move it from one freezer to another on one occasion. On another occasion, I took it on a winter shooting trip for one week and did not use the boxes in question (afterward I put them back in the freezer). So the film has only been out of the freezer for perhaps two-to-three weeks total.

Does anyone out there have experience shooting expired film that has been stored in a freezer? Obviously I will test it before shooting anything important. But it would be helpful to hear any relevant experiences. Thanks in advance.

dsphotog
8-Jun-2010, 22:45
I've used B&W film frozen A LOT longer past date, no problem.

Lachlan 717
8-Jun-2010, 22:51
The big risk is with colour film and colour shifts once passed expiry date.

Within reason, B&W should be fine for quite a while if frozen, especially if it is still in a sealed foil envelope.

I'd just test one on a "typical" shot (typical such as landscape if you do landscapes, building if you do Architecture, a person if portraits are your thing) and see the result.

jennym
9-Jun-2010, 02:57
I have used a lot of outdated transparency film without any problems to date. I usually check a couple of sheets before committing to a big trip. I don't have any experience with outdated B&W film though.

Good luck!

Jenny

rfesk
9-Jun-2010, 04:15
I am sure you are fine. I have film from the same production run.
The worst that happens is that fog increases slightly but I wouldn't even expect that at this point.

SamReeves
9-Jun-2010, 08:30
I've used ancient color neg and transperency film that has been frozen for a long time. No color shifts on my end. Defrost your film and enjoy it!

Andrew O'Neill
9-Jun-2010, 08:33
Yup. No worries that I can tell. I'm still using some b/w film that expired in 2000.

Kuzano
9-Jun-2010, 09:16
I'm still using frozen film.. color and B/W from the 90's. No problems. In fact, as mentioned before, the problem with expiration date on film not frozen is color shift, whereas I have always understood B/W maintains fairly well, as long as not cooked.

D. Bryant
9-Jun-2010, 13:06
I'm still using frozen film..

I usually let mine thaw! :)

Don Bryant

Arne Croell
9-Jun-2010, 13:24
For b/w film the main theoretical effects of age are loss of film speed, reduced contrast, and a higher base fog. The former two can easily be remedied by a little testing and adjusting your EI and development time. Having said that, I have used TMX that was 8 years past its date that had NOT been frozen parallel to fresh film and developed them together. No difference between the two.
Higher speed films are affected a bit more, but in your case I would start to check and adjust maybe around the year 2025..

Kuzano
9-Jun-2010, 18:47
I usually let mine thaw! :)

Don Bryant

Whoops... got me! Yes... thaw first. :confused:

John Bowen
10-Jun-2010, 05:31
Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee shoot Super XX with an expiration date of 1996. The film exhibits increased base fog, but for contact printing they just "print through the fog." They still make wonderful photographs with this old film.

Martin Aislabie
17-Jun-2010, 17:53
Local background radiation is the main problem with Fogging of frozen film.

There really isn't much you can do about it except move.

However, if like most of us, you live in a low background radiation area, then film stores very well frozen, although I have never seen anything like official figures how much it buys you - but it IMO it is easily 3 times the manufacturers life expectancy

Martin

jnantz
17-Jun-2010, 21:11
i've been using expired 5x7 tri x ( 1990s ) as well as expired tmx / tmy
( all purchased around 01' ) ... no problems. all used and processed
within the last 3 weeks ...

it is all free-range / shelf stored ... wouldn't worry about the exp date.