PDA

View Full Version : Rubylith Equivalent?

xmishx
8-Jun-2010, 09:39
I'm using my garage for a darkroom to process Wet Plates. I've got a window with 6 panes I was going to cover with rubylith. However, it seems the city of Portland does not have any in stock... I could buy a roll of the stuff and wait a week, but all I need are 6 sheets of 9x12. Is there any equivalent from Rosco Gels I could use instead? Or something else more accessible?

Thanks,

Ted

erie patsellis
8-Jun-2010, 09:46
Ted,
worst case, find a small signshop and buy some red vinyl, you can either stick it to the windows or use it on the paper backing. If you want to go all out, see if they have soem translucent vinyl. (more expensive, and the non transluscent vinyls aren't opaque anyway.)

ic-racer
8-Jun-2010, 22:17
I have used Roscolux #27: Medium Red with conventional silver printing papers.

eddie
8-Jun-2010, 22:36
i use red glass. works fine.

why not just use your darkroom safe lights? that is what i did. i use the Thomas safe lights. super bright and wet plate safe. these lights are far far superior to one window in your garage for sure....super bright.

e

Jan Pietrzak
9-Jun-2010, 06:56
Ted,

Try a craft shop, or a flower shop. They should have some clear plastic wrap/cellophane. I try to get this stuff around the holidays when I see it. It make for cheap gels.

Jan Pietrzak

Andrew O'Neill
9-Jun-2010, 08:41
They should have some clear plastic wrap/cellophane

I was thinking along this line, too. I found some at a local dollar shop. Came in rolls. Cheap. Found the same at local craft store. Expensive.

Jan Pietrzak
9-Jun-2010, 11:06
Andrew,

I wait until after the holidays and get it, red/green, orange/yellow, and all the pastels after Easter, and lots of red after Valentines day. Cheap filters if you want the Holga look from your Hasselblad. Lots of fun.

Jan Pietrzak

xmishx
10-Jun-2010, 11:36
Thank you for the feedback... I also heard the Lee filter #106 and it's Rosco equivalent works just fine as well.