PDA

View Full Version : wild weather in Yosemite

ignatiusjk
29-May-2010, 13:50
I just returned from a photo trip to Yosemite and WOW was the weather weired.It had rain for the most part the trip then it would be sunny for about 30 min then the clouds would come out and ruin and photos.Then on Thursday night it poured down and when I got up in the morning there was SNOW!!! The snow was higher up in the valley but how wild it was to see snow in May.The snow pictures should be nice I'll try to post some of the photos.

gd whalen
29-May-2010, 18:41
Honestly, it sounds to me you got perfect weather for landscape photography.

Jim Noel
29-May-2010, 21:54
Now you can honestly say you have experienced Yosemite in the spring. At lest you didn't get snowed in.

Sideshow Bob
29-May-2010, 22:18
Almost the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, a little rain then snow one night.
Gale

ignatiusjk
30-May-2010, 12:15
Honestly, it sounds to me you got perfect weather for landscape photography.

Not really, I thought I would get some "detail " type of shots but it was just too dismal looking.It wasn't the photogenic type of dismal it was just dismal.

Drew Wiley
31-May-2010, 20:27
Just be glad you weren't up in the high country. Strong seasonal transitions around Memorial Day are not unusual in the Sierra, with strong snow or thunder storms
being typical about half the time. But this year the El Nino pattern has made things
particularly wild. Last year it snowed right through June. This makes things
exceptionally pretty in the high country, but with especially dangerous runoff, then
an absolutely horrendous mosquito crop in July.

tgtaylor
6-Jun-2010, 10:51
Things really turned wild today: The valley is under a flood watch!

Brian Ellis
6-Jun-2010, 15:31
Sounds like you took a wrong turn and ended up in Central Oregon.

Preston
6-Jun-2010, 15:39
Here's a note from our Tuolumne County local news (mymotherlode.com) posted this morning:

"Warm temperatures and melting snow are causing the Merced River to flood at Pohono bridge.

As of 8am, the river was 10 feet high. This means that minor flooding is occuring at Lower Pines campground, North Pines campground, Chapel Meadow and Cooks Meadow.

The river is expected to rise to 10.5 feet high by tomorrow morning. That could affect Northside Drive.

The river is now closed to all rafters and other types of flotation."

tgtaylor
6-Jun-2010, 15:40
Is it flooding up there too?

J Ney
6-Jun-2010, 21:47
Seems like it is everywhere... I was up in the Kern River area on Saturday and a number of the campsites north of Kernville were flooded.

Jim Graves
8-Jun-2010, 16:10
Yup ... here's a photo from Monday, 6/7 of a classic Falls shot across the meadow ... you can see how high the water is in the meadow ... and note the amount of water in the falls ... spectacular Spring for the Falls this year.

MumbleyJoe
17-Jun-2010, 15:08
I was there the week of June 7-11 and we had pretty ideal weather the most of the time... no rain, hot, but typically some clouds. I could have done with just slightly more 'drama' in the skies, photographically. I was just happy to make it over Tioga and not get trapped out there after.

I guess we were there during the technical 'flood' period - all the spots I'd scoped out along the Merced to shoot from (back in March) were gone - completely washed out. And not one photo of Vernal Falls, because just a little beyond the footbridge the 'mist' was really a downpour - the water everywhere was roaring!