PDA

View Full Version : October Open House in New Hampshire

Bruce Barlow
25-May-2010, 08:14
I’ve been invited to be one of 25 artists on the Fall Foliage Art Studio Tour here in southwestern New Hampshire on Saturday and Sunday, October 9 and 10. Sounds like an excuse for a party!

I’ll open my “studio” to visitors, with traditional prints on display (“Brooks Jensen” or “inventory reduction pricing”: $25 each for 5x7 or 8x10 mounted black and white prints), but that doesn’t feel like enough, so here’s an invitation to photographers who might like to visit. We’ll have good food, lots to photograph on my land (147 acres of New England woods and rock walls, on what is traditionally the peak fall foliage weekend here). I’ll also have maps to nearby places to photograph. Come try an 8x10, or try large format. I’ll have cameras and film (2 - 8x10s: Norma and Alice, my Sinar and Ritter, and 4x5 Baby Wista). Have a look at my darkroom and “studio” space. Maybe we can induce visitors to pose for a large format portraits. Moses, my African Gray Parrot, is excited, too.

I’ll have a video/CD sale:
“Camera Repair in the Field with Richard Ritter” DVD video, normally $24, on sale for $15.
“The Richard Ritter Ultra-Large Format Camera Owners Manual” DVD video, normally $15, on sale for $12.
“Finely Focused: Mechanics and Creativity in Large Format Photography,” 309 pages on CD-ROM, normally $25, on sale for $20.
“Swanzey Rural Character,” the award-winning documentary, $5.

Richard Ritter’s on board to be here. I can probably convince him to bring over one of his ULF’s for folks to put hands on. He thinks he may have an 11x14, too.

Come hang out, swap stories, compare cameras, try something new, but mostly, have a good time. Eat, drink and be merry. Hope to see you. And if anyone has more ideas for what we could do, let me know.

Brian Ellis
25-May-2010, 08:47
Wish I could be there. How come when I lived on the East coast everything like this was on the West coast, so now I'm on the West coast and everything like this is on the East coast?

Bill Kumpf
25-May-2010, 09:48
Good toys, good food and good people. Sounds like a major event. I am envious of those who can make it.

Good luck and enjoy.

kevin4x5
25-May-2010, 10:25
I will be there sounds like a great time and great people

Bruce Barlow
26-May-2010, 03:32
Wish I could be there. How come when I lived on the East coast everything like this was on the West coast, so now I'm on the West coast and everything like this is on the East coast?

Wish you could be, too. I had several fine conversations about you with dear friend Ted Harris. It's not lost on me that I hope this will be similar to a get-together at Ted's just a few days before he passed on. We'll be channeling him in some way, I'm sure. That's comforting. I miss him.

Remember, to paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright: "God turned the country on its side and shook it, and everything loose fell to the west coast." Hmm. Must have been before my time...

What the heck, take a trip east! Peak fall colors!

Michael Graves
26-May-2010, 05:04
It's a little to early to commit for certain, but I would certainly love to come over from Vermont.

Eric Biggerstaff
26-May-2010, 07:01
Let me think, fall in New England, great food, great people, great photographs and great places to photograph - sounds, well, great! Wish I could be there and I hope you get a huge turnout!

John Bowen
26-May-2010, 07:14
OK, room booked (nothing like paying leaf-peeper rates). Now I just have to keep the rest of my calendar free.

If you are planning on attending and need a room, better book real SOON. Hotel Rooms become quite scarce in VT/NH this time of year.

Bruce Barlow
26-May-2010, 14:54
Wow! Mr. Bowen is coming! That makes it special already.

And, for the unfamiliar, Mr. Bowen has both a Richard Ritter 7x17 and an 8x10, both of which I suspect will accompany him.

Now, Mr. B, we need to figure out where we go after the weekend, since you're here... Route 100 in Vermont may be calling us!

John Bowen
26-May-2010, 19:49
Now, Mr. B, we need to figure out where we go after the weekend, since you're here... Route 100 in Vermont may be calling us!

The key word in your sentence is AFTER.....I booked my reservations to be there BEFORE the show..... Those damn last minute income tax filers will have my on my way back to Virginia once the show closes. I'm planning on arriving on Tue and exposing film on Wed, Thur and Fri. Hope you can join me. Of course there are some Honey Hill rocks calling me on Sat/Sun...

Looking forward to seeing and showing some new work, printed on Lodima.

Bruce Barlow
27-May-2010, 05:08
SAys Mr. Bowen: "I'm planning on arriving on Tue and exposing film on Wed, Thur and Fri. Hope you can join me. Of course there are some Honey Hill rocks calling me on Sat/Sun...

"Looking forward to seeing and showing some new work, printed on Lodima."

Ya mean yer gonna make be organized in advance! Egad! A first! OK. I'll be ready in advance so that we can go play. Richard?? You, too!

I'm thinking, based on your bringing work, that I'll carve off some space for visitors to put up work, on maybe a rotating basis or some other unmanageable way. Don't know how much, because it's supposed to be my "show," and as a first-timer I feel obliged to respect that, but on the other hand, it's my party and I'll do what I want to.

Bruce Barlow
18-Jul-2010, 05:43
Events are coming together for the Open House. I have a gallery area with about 26 linear feet of display space and excellent lighting. That space will be available for guests to show their work on a rotating basis, so bring prints! I’ll have enough room in the adjacent area for my work.

The subtitle might be “The Richard Ritter Camera Extravaganza,” because we’ll have, at least, 3 Ritter 8x10s, 2 Ritter 7x17s, and whatever else Richard has lying around. We’ll have them all on tripods with lenses for folks to touch. I’m trying to figure out a way for people to make 8x10 exposures, too. Stay tuned, and if anyone has ideas other than resurrecting Polaroid, please pass them along.

More to come, and if anyone has other ideas, let me know.

Bruce Barlow
16-Aug-2010, 11:33
Subtitle: The Richard Ritter Camera Extravaganza!

John Bowen
16-Aug-2010, 14:45
Looks like Richard has been busy

Michael Graves
16-Aug-2010, 16:49
My eye should be completely healed by then, so count me in for Saturday, the 9th. Save a couple of prints for me, Bruce. It'll probably be afternoon before I get there. I'll bring a Toyo 810M with me.

fuegocito
17-Aug-2010, 07:05
hey, just saw this. I might be able to make the drive up from Holyoke with my Ritter 810...

Robert

Kirk Gittings
17-Aug-2010, 08:12
wish I could be there!

Ron McElroy
17-Aug-2010, 19:18
Subtitle: The Richard Ritter Camera Extravaganza!

You are making me drool Bruce. Wish I could get up there.

Bruce Barlow
17-Sep-2010, 12:48
Using the Richard Ritter method of film holder marking (watch your copy of "Camera Repair in the Field with Richard Ritter" if you don't remember), I think I have a way for folks to make LF exposures and keep track.

That means we'll set up Norma with her 5x7 back in Fine Focus Workshop's Cone Exercise. I'll send folks a proof, but we keep the negs. We may add them to the Alumni Gallery.

Baby Wista will be set up to make portraits. Negs may be negotiable for the cost of film and postage. Otherwise, a contact print.

Folks new to large format may have a camera to cuddle (refer to "Finely Focused") and learn how to use.

Still working on the menu. Brownies for sure.

Sounds like a circus to me. It's even OK if it rains. Got it covered, literally and figuratively.

John Bowen
17-Sep-2010, 15:01
Now Bruce,

Has yours truly EVER been to NH in October when it hasn't rained???? :-)

kevin4x5
17-Sep-2010, 16:33
Bruce
I can't wait it should be a good time and a circus I can stop on the way up to my house on Friday night to help you if you would like or to test the brownies
Kevin

Bruce Barlow
21-Sep-2010, 10:34
Shoot, man, EVERYBODY wants to test the brownies!!

Thanks for the offer. Instead, if you wanted to get here earlier than the official 10:00 start time, I could use help setting up. But only if that works on your life. It's entirely manageable.

Wayne Aho
21-Sep-2010, 11:09
Hi Bruce,

Don't forget we have 4 covered bridges in town, and a few more within a half hour drive.

I might just bicycle over!

Wayne, near the cresson bridge

Bruce Barlow
21-Sep-2010, 14:43
Hi Bruce,

Don't forget we have 4 covered bridges in town, and a few more within a half hour drive.

I might just bicycle over!

Wayne, near the cresson bridge

Fine Focus Workshops has three prohibited subjects: Covered bridges, Lighthouses, and Kitty Cats...

Instead of bicycling, would you be interested in doing a wet plate demonstration or two? Certainly, please strap on some wet-plate examples and bicycle over. The tough part will be the last 1/3 mile...

Nathan Potter
21-Sep-2010, 15:15
Bruce, wrong attitude! I think FFW should focus on covered bridges and lighthouses but capture images that are different and innovative about them. That's a challenge.

As far as kitty cats - well in TX they're for target practice.

Boy I'd like to join you in cow hampshire but not likely.

Best regards, Nate Potter, Austin TX.

kevin4x5
21-Sep-2010, 16:05
Shoot, man, EVERYBODY wants to test the brownies!!

Thanks for the offer. Instead, if you wanted to get here earlier than the official 10:00 start time, I could use help setting up. But only if that works on your life. It's entirely manageable.

I can stop over earlier on Saturday Maybe it would be coffee and "The Brownies"

John Bowen
21-Sep-2010, 17:25
I can stop over earlier on Saturday Maybe it would be coffee and "The Brownies"

If I get there 1st it will be coffee :p

Bruce Barlow
22-Sep-2010, 04:03
So far, the hardest work you guys a volunteering for is chewing... Or swallowing coffee...

Nate, with all the NICE stuff we have to photograph within 5 miles of my house, we can safely stay away from covered bridges. And lighthouses are, fortunately, too far away.

My cows won't be there yet. They'll still be in the summer pasture. So much for Cow Hampshire.

If you want to see that challenge addressed by an immensely talented teenager, visit the Town of Swanzey web site:

http://www.town.swanzey.nh.us/

Yeah, he HDR'ed them, but they work small.

I'm giving him space at the Open House, if he can come up with real prints. We'll be offering his award-winning documentary, too. $5.

John Bowen
22-Sep-2010, 04:46
So far, the hardest work you guys a volunteering for is chewing... Or swallowing coffee...

You mean you have harder work in mind for us v'teers than chewing or swallowing???? Maybe we need to form a union and picket for better working conditions :eek:

What ever you need a hand with, just ask.....

You'll be able to recognize me from the rest of the croud, I'll be wearing the "will work for brownies" sign :)

RichardRitter
22-Sep-2010, 06:29
Don't worry forks are involved in the work.
And the bull will keep you busy.

Bruce Barlow
22-Sep-2010, 08:02
Sure is a lotta bull now in this thread.

kevin4x5
22-Sep-2010, 08:08
You mean you have harder work in mind for us v'teers than chewing or swallowing???? Maybe we need to form a union and picket for better working conditions :eek:

What ever you need a hand with, just ask.....

You'll be able to recognize me from the rest of the croud, I'll be wearing the "will work for brownies" sign :)

You will be able to recognize me too I will be sitting under the tree with a full belly of brownies

Bruce Barlow
3-Oct-2010, 05:53
For those coming, here are directions from the Tour's web site.

http://0101.netclime.net/1_5/1ac/2f8/1a1/MAP.pdf

And here's the web site: http://sitekreator.com/fallfoilage/main_page.html

There are some pretty fine artists on the tour (and then there's me...). The Swanzey folks (nearby) are all top-drawer. I know one photographer is bringing his wife, staying at a local fine B&B, and planning on a romantic weekend. Good idea. Takes the pressure off, if ya know what I mean.

Unlike eddie, we won't have any noodie models draping themselves over the rocks. Uh oh. May have just cut attendance in half with that announcement,

Working on the menu today. "Good chow for all!" the man says.

Ian Lascell
8-Oct-2010, 10:02
Bruce, this sounds like a lot of fun. I'm going to drive up tomorrow morning and hang for a while. I'd love to meet some fellow LF photographers. I've got my film holders all loaded as well in case the opportunity for shooting arises. Weather is supposed to be great down here. I hope that extends up to NH as well. My brother lives in Lebanon and he said the leaves are peaking there right now. I'm looking forward to it.

Bruce Barlow
8-Oct-2010, 13:19
I have a sheet with directions for places to photograph nearby. Then again, there's my land, which is also quite lovely.

No shortage of snaps to cruise for.

The lamb stew is made. It's delish. Bread will bake tomorrow morning, and I may get to the brownies tonight, and if not, tomorrow while the bread is rising.

It will be an early morning. Official hours are 10-5 both days.

Ian Lascell
11-Oct-2010, 12:00
Bruce, thanks for hosting this great event. You've got a great setup there and lots of nice work.

I enjoyed meeting everybody else who attended and especially seeing all of the recent work you shared. It is great to see everybody working with their own styles, methods, and formats. Very inspiring.

Richard, your cameras and your photographs are both fine art. Bravo.

Bruce Barlow
11-Oct-2010, 15:23
Ian, it was a treat to meet you and have you join us. You were mixed in with some of my favorite people on the planet. I had a great time!

Thanks to Richard and John Bowen for curating my 75-print show, to Kevin Carey for all kinds of help Saturday morning, to Robert Triffen for bringing a case of great potato chips from Pa, to Mike P. for his help, and to Michael Graves and his family for being wonderful customers. Thanks to all my friends who showed up and, I hope, had fun.

We'll do it again next year.

Jeremy Graves
12-Oct-2010, 07:22
Bruce,

Sorry to have missed this event this year. I'll mark my calendar for next year. Looking forward to it already.

Michael Graves
12-Oct-2010, 08:53
My son wasn't able to go with us because of his job. So what does he do???? He confiscates one of the excellent prints that I purchased.

The sacrifices I make for my children!

Ian, it was a treat to meet you and have you join us. You were mixed in with some of my favorite people on the planet. I had a great time!

Thanks to Richard and John Bowen for curating my 75-print show, to Kevin Carey for all kinds of help Saturday morning, to Robert Triffen for bringing a case of great potato chips from Pa, to Mike P. for his help, and to Michael Graves and his family for being wonderful customers. Thanks to all my friends who showed up and, I hope, had fun.

We'll do it again next year.

c.d.ewen
12-Oct-2010, 09:01
Bruce:

It broke my heart to miss your soiree, but it was closeup weekend for the big house on Sunapee and I couldn't be a work shirker. Wish you were closer, so I could have slipped away for a bit. Maybe next year.

Charley

Bruce Barlow
12-Oct-2010, 09:06
Sacrifices, Michael, yeah. I had to sacrifice myself by using Amanda (Richard's 5x7) to photograph two beautiful young women that son Evan was photographing, too. His pictures are absolute killers. Mine are undeveloped as yet - had to go to the dump this morning. I hope to get to them this afternoon.

The things we have to do for our offspring. Sigh.

Bruce Barlow
12-Oct-2010, 09:13
A couple snaps.

John Weinland, Fine Focus Workshop alum, shares mighty fine new work.

Two views of the display space, one with the beloved food table.

kevin4x5
14-Oct-2010, 13:35
Bruce
You put on a great show. It was great to meet every one and to play with Richard's cameras. It was my pleasure to help you I wish I could have done more. Your's and Evan's photo were amazing. I wish I had that "$20.00 to buy them all" HA HA
Can't wait till next year.
Kevin