PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate focus hood

archer
23-May-2010, 03:00
I discussed this topic on APUG and thought it may be of some interest to some of you here. Focusing cloths have always been a pain for me. The constant climbing under and out of and messing my hair and having the cloth blow in front of the lens at the wrong time, the heat and the vulnerability, especially for a woman, to be able to be aware of her environment while under the cloth etc. So I designed a focus hood that is perfect for me. Have a look.
Denise Libby

Heroique
23-May-2010, 09:42
Say, your darkcloth looks like an effective GG protector, too!

...The constant climbing under and out of and messing my hair...

I’m curious why so few darkcloths address the disheveled-hair thing. Yours sounds like it does. Is the material static free? ;)

I’m still thinking about designing a darkcloth to fit my own needs, too.

Currently, I use an Adirondack-style windbreaker, tightening its waist (w/ cinch cord) around the camera back, and slipping my head through the zippered neck. When I use a loupe, I zip-open the V-neck a little more so I can fit my forearm inside. My other arm operates the camera. Depending on movements, I might have to switch arms. A little clumsy, but I’ve gotten used to it. The windbreaker is light-weight, light-tight, breathable & water resistant. So if it rains, I wear it. Or I might slip it over my camera in hostile environments.

Working around these limitations is helping me design the ultimate darkcloth in my mind.

Nathan Potter
23-May-2010, 09:44
Denise, that's neat. Velcro attach to the back I presume? The view end just mates to your face at maybe a foot from the GG? If it's velcro attach to the back how do you avoid jerking the camera when removing to take the image?

Thanks for showing.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

vinny
23-May-2010, 11:01
Denise, Is that an Iston 4x5 you have there? I had one just like it, my first lf camera. You don't see them that often.

jb7
23-May-2010, 11:41
I've got a design for the ultimate focus hood too-
that's three in this thread already...

Very good-
I like the folding thing-

cdholden
23-May-2010, 12:13
There was also this one:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=62050

Eric Woodbury
23-May-2010, 15:24
What is it that makes it hold its shape? Is there a hole at the bottom to get a loupe in there and hold it?

Very nice. Some good ideas. Thanks for the pix.

I have one that I velcro'd to the back of my 5x7. Controls on the outside, face on the inside. Film holder slot on the outside.

Blair Ware
23-May-2010, 17:07
I just bought a Sinar and they have an amazing system which allows you to attach a standard/WA bellows to the back of the rear standard and then plug a binocular attachment with a flip out magnifier to the back of this bellows... pure genius as it allows the viewer to dynamically go between full frame and critical focusing with the flip of a lever. It's so good, i am trying to figure out how to make it work on my non-Sinar cameras.

erie patsellis
23-May-2010, 17:31
well, the obvious answer is to stop putting it off and get a Sinar, you won't regret it whatsoever.

Heroique
23-May-2010, 19:23
What is it that makes it hold its shape?

It does look like magic.

Could be a brisk wind. ;)

Or maybe it’s puppet strings?

sun of sand
23-May-2010, 19:34
he'll have to do that

bobpin
23-May-2010, 21:39
I discussed this topic on APUG and thought it may be of some interest to some of you here. Focusing cloths have always been a pain for me. The constant climbing under and out of and messing my hair and having the cloth blow in front of the lens at the wrong time, the heat and the vulnerability, especially for a woman, to be able to be aware of her environment while under the cloth etc. So I designed a focus hood that is perfect for me. Have a look.
Denise Libby

This hood need to be removed when film holder is going to be inserted, right?

archer
24-May-2010, 01:31
Thank you all for your comments and questions. First; the face frame of the hood is attached to the camera with Velcro and the frame is hinged in the center so it may be swung open to insert the film holder without removing the hood. This also makes it simple to access the entire GG with a loupe for focusing. The material from which the hood is made allows it to remain fairly erect and still allows you to compress the hood with your face while holding a loupe through the face opening and accessing the entire GG if you prefer not to use the hinged opening. The hood never needs to be removed from the back for loading film or focusing with a loupe and the hinged design makes it equally convenient in either vertical or horizontal position. The material is black vinyl-neoprene covered with a silver-gray ballistic nylon scrim and is very supple and completely light proof and it may be sewn or glued with automotive weatherstripping adhesive. Vinny, yes the camera is an Iston, that my late son, who knew nothing about cameras, bought for me for Mother's Day twenty years ago, just because he thought it was pretty. Though I have several other LF cameras of much better quality and greater functionality, it remains, even with all it's limitations, my favorite camera for obvious reasons. The draw cord opening can be adjusted for any size face and adds some structural rigidity to keep the hood somewhat erect. I hope I have answered all your questions. Thank you again for your interest.
Denise Libby

Uri A
24-May-2010, 13:27
"Though I have several other LF cameras of much better quality and greater functionality, it remains, even with all it's limitations, my favorite camera for obvious reasons."

nice :)