PDA

View Full Version : Where did the Old Masters go?

Michael Graves
20-May-2010, 04:55
Over the past two weeks, I have been into several bookstores. Two B&N, on of the larger Borders, and three or four of the larger local shops. I could get more
David Hamilton I wanted along with half a dozen wannabes shooting topless teenies. Self-absorbent photographers specializing in self portraits were in abundance as well. But the books I was looking for, such Karsh and Weston are non-existent. No Minor White or Wynn Bullock either. They don't appear to be out of print, but they don't seem to be available locally either. I don't want to mail order because some of the reproduction quality is missing in many editions. I want to see what I'm shelling out fifty or sixty bucks for. Chain stores and the Internet are killing our local businesses.

Denis Pleic
20-May-2010, 05:25
I want to see what I'm shelling out fifty or sixty bucks for.

That's what the forums (fora?) are for. Ask first, then mail order...
The Onlike Photographer (Mike Johnston) has regular book recommendations, and I admit I've purchased several books he recommended. Never regretted a single purchase, and I can say I'm also picky when it comes to reproductions.

So, go ahead and ask. Someone's bound to have the edition you are about to buy, and will surely provide feedback re print quality, etc...
I've long ago given up on the chance to be able to leaf through a book before buying. Being in Croatia didn't help, either :)
Although I must admit I was floored when I found Ctein's "Digital restoration..." in a local (small-town) bookstore. Might be because it has "Digital" in the title :)
But, I did see e.g. two Annie Leibowitz hefty (and expensive) books... Plastic-wrapped, no peeking inside...

Steve M Hostetter
20-May-2010, 07:00
Over the past two weeks, I have been into several bookstores. Two B&N, on of the larger Borders, and three or four of the larger local shops. I could get more
David Hamilton I wanted along with half a dozen wannabes shooting topless teenies. Self-absorbent photographers specializing in self portraits were in abundance as well. But the books I was looking for, such Karsh and Weston are non-existent. No Minor White or Wynn Bullock either. They don't appear to be out of print, but they don't seem to be available locally either. I don't want to mail order because some of the reproduction quality is missing in many editions. I want to see what I'm shelling out fifty or sixty bucks for. Chain stores and the Internet are killing our local businesses.

Hi Michael,

Try half price books

Steven Barall
20-May-2010, 07:19
I feel your pain. If you should find yourself in NYC at any time, make sure to stop in at The Strand Book Store on Broadway and 12th St. The photo book section on the second floor is really good. Good luck.

Brian Ellis
20-May-2010, 09:00

I think you're stuck with mail order for the kinds of books you're talking about. You might stumble on a few things here and there in local stores but if you want any big selection I think it likely has to be on line. I'd start on Amazon and then move on to big book stores like Powell's in Portland, OR that have a big collection of used books of all kinds, then to smaller specialty stores like Photo Eye in Sante Fe. But the prices may shock you. I have some of these kinds of older books, such as Minor White's "Mirrors Messages Manifestations," and see them listed at Photo Eye for $250 - $300. I of course don't know exactly which books you're talking about but many of the books by people like Weston, White, Karsh, etc. are out of print.

Daniel Stone
20-May-2010, 09:20
my neighborhood B&N has the same problem too. When they first opened 2 years ago, they had easily over 100 photo-related titles, most of them about the famous "old masters". Now they only have a few titles, most about how to photoshop your grandma's wrinkles out, or more topless, self-indulgent teenies.

truelly disturbing IMO. even if they don't want to carry the bulk of their online catalog in the store, they should at least have an honest-to-God SELECTION, rather than just one sort of books.

the Annie L. books are bound up tighter than a drum, here to :), no peek-a-boo's...

-Dan

Doug Howk
20-May-2010, 11:49
As mentioned earlier, Mike Johnston's blog is good for book recommendations. Another more eclectic photo book blog is 5B4 (http://5b4.blogspot.com/). Used bookstores, even some of the smaller local ones, can be good source for old masters.

Michael Graves
20-May-2010, 12:03
You guys are pretty much confirming what I already suspected. I am in Bridgeport, CT today and tomorrow and intend to hit a couple of stores here. The adventure continues.

drew.saunders
20-May-2010, 13:01
The SFMOMA's store has a good photography section, as one would expect. I presume the NY MOMA would have a reasonable selection as well.

John Kasaian
20-May-2010, 16:31

Hopefully they are on the remainder tables---that way I can afford 'em!:D

Drew Wiley
20-May-2010, 17:56
Yeah, the chains are pretty pathetic. Around here there are still a few large independent bookstores like Black Oak Books or Cody's which have an excellent
selection of photo books, including rare out-of-print things.

jnantz
20-May-2010, 18:06
Hopefully they are on the remainder tables---that way I can afford 'em!:D

yeah ...

i used to do all my photo-book shopping at a 2nds bookstore
nothing from what i remember cost me more than 10$ ...

Drew Wiley
20-May-2010, 18:13
Oooops - I forgot that Cody's recently went out of business. You can thank Amazon for that.

Brian Ellis
20-May-2010, 18:14
One good place I forgot about when I posted my earlier message is here. http://www.proshopforphotographers.com/ I haven't been there in about 6 years but when I was there then they had a great selection of photo books. I bought a couple of Harry Callahan's books that I don't think you'd see on the shelves of many book stores.

andrewh
8-Jun-2010, 09:54
I feel your pain. If you should find yourself in NYC at any time, make sure to stop in at The Strand Book Store on Broadway and 12th St. The photo book section on the second floor is really good. Good luck.

I second Steven's suggestion...

Stay away from the big-box book stores (B&N, Borders, etc.) if you're looking for fine photography and art books. They have the worst selection of art and photography books. They don't make their money from selling books, but from coffee and cheesy non-book gift items.

Should you be visiting New York, for starters, Strand Book Store is a definite must (I recently bought a hard-bound retrospective catalogue of Harry Callahan from The National Gallery of Art, in mint condition for $25.00), as well as the ICP (International Center for Photography) bookstore, Aperture Foundation (in Chelsea), MoMA book store, and a little-known secret, Dashwood Books (www.dashwoodbooks.com) on Bond Street, among others. They all have great selections -- sometimes hit-and-miss due to inventory changes.

Also look at the Steidl website (http://www.steidlville.com/), a German publisher with a phenomenal publishing program of modern masters and contemporary photographers (quality is very high), and Photo-eye (http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/index.cfm?catalog=DQ407), a distributor of different publisher's photo books.

The books are out there (many are collector items, for a few dollars more), you just have to dig around a bit.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Ole Tjugen
8-Jun-2010, 10:47
Old Masters never die, they just stop developing

Scott Davis
8-Jun-2010, 11:55
In a way, I miss A Photographers' Place. They did have an AMAZING selection, with prices to match. Their service though, left something to be desired. I remember being in there once and the clerk decided that someone couldn't afford a book he was asking about, and refused to show it to him. The gentleman bought a less-expensive book, then paid for it with a black Amex. There was nothing in that store he couldn't afford.

Michael Graves
8-Jun-2010, 12:49
An update...Last weekend I was in West Lebanon, NH and my wife wanted to visit an antique shop we drove past. I just love those places (he said, tongue in cheek, lying through his teeth), so we stopped and went in. One of the booths had about two dozen monographs of different photographers. I walked out with David Plowden and intend to go back with more money so I can get the Eugene Atget and Minor White volumes.

Robert Hughes
8-Jun-2010, 18:22
"Masters, Schmasters! Buncha muddy, gray on gray, boring prints. My 13 year old can take perfect pictures with her digital camera - and they're in color!" :D

John Powers
9-Jun-2010, 06:13
An update...Last weekend I was in West Lebanon, NH and my wife wanted to visit an antique shop we drove past. I just love those places (he said, tongue in cheek, lying through his teeth), so we stopped and went in. One of the booths had about two dozen monographs of different photographers. I walked out with David Plowden and intend to go back with more money so I can get the Eugene Atget and Minor White volumes.

When you find a dealer like this one ask about a regional association of such dealers. There is one that covers OH, western PA, eastern IN. They have an annual book fair in Akron, OH with 50-60 dealers that bring a selection to town. Dealers from outside that region also come (NY, IL, VA). If you follow the association they have fairs like this all over the region on different weekends. Usually there are one of two who specialize in photo books of quality and several who bring a few good photo books. The dealers want you to look through those books, talk to the dealer and buy. Most of the dealers know what the others carry and can direct you if you know what you want. I always spend way over budget at these.

John

Frank_E
9-Jun-2010, 06:23
I know my suggestion is not exactly "on topic" but it addresses the same issue
the challenge is finding bookstores with a well stocked photography section that enables you to browse new and old tiltles on photography
fortunately Toronto has a reasonable number of both new and used book stores that feature photography, however despite that fact, the approach I describe below still works for me

here is a technique that my wife (a compulisive library user) taught me
about once a month I go into the on line catalog of the Toronto Regional Library system and explore their "new additions" section. The new additions are divided up into sections and photography is found under "arts and humanities". They typically surface over 250 new additions in arts and humanities every month and I usually have a selection of over 30 photography books of various types (ie portfolios, exhibition catalogs, new how to books etc) to choose from. It is a good way to see if a book is worth buying if it never makes it to the book store.

Don Dudenbostel
10-Jun-2010, 19:55
I feel your pain.

I travel to Atlanta often and go to the Borders near Lenox Sq. They have a huge selection of photo books and this past weekend had a good selection of old masters. Ofcourse the have plenty of the new wave of junk and my favorite a book on how to " photograph absolutely everything". I wish that book had been out 43 years ago. I could have shot to the top in just one weekend. ;) I have to say it, what a load of BS.