PDA

View Full Version : Darwin CA

Gil Todd
18-May-2010, 14:07
Over ten years ago I visited Darwin California, Inyo County, and not only photographed the town itself but the Darwin Mine area near the town. I am considering another trip to this area but the photographic opportunities there may have changed. I was wondering if anyone in this group have recently been in the area and could advise me whether access to the closed mine site is still available.

Thanks.

Tori Nelson
18-May-2010, 17:56
The mine you are referring to is no longer available to photograph. The mine changed hands (again) sometime in early 2008 and the new owners pretty much threaten to shoot trespassers on sight. I don't know if the new owners have renamed it but the most recent name that I know of for the mine is Quintana Minerals Corporation. Apparently they are trying to clean it up and make a go of it.

It's really a shame because it was a great place to photograph. The last two caretakers were really pretty nice about letting select people shoot there. If you were polite, didn't look like you were there to kill them, and slipped them a few dollars for their troubles then you could pretty much have the run of the place. The last time I shot there was March of 2007. John, the first caretaker I had met, had died but his friend had taken over. After a little conversation he agreed to let me and my friends spend the day shooting our 8x10's.

You could always try to get in if you're going to be in Darwin anyway. Things tend to change around there from year to year so why not give it a shot (NO pun intended).

williamtheis
19-May-2010, 07:18
I've (unfortunately) lived the last 20 years in the shadow of Darwin and never made it there...