PDA

View Full Version : New to large format

roadmouse
18-May-2010, 03:33
Greetings from the Netherlands!
I'm new to large format photography, but it's been gaining my interest.

Recently bought and cleaned an old Ica Ideal 249. I can't wait to try and shoot some film with this beauty! All I need now is to find some 9x12 film holders that fit this camera. :)

Vick Vickery
18-May-2010, 08:38
Welcome to group therepy! :) There are several regular posters from your neck of the woods...maybe they'll be able to help you find some 9x12 holders in that part of the world...of course, there's always mail-order!

Charles Hohenstein
18-May-2010, 15:53
Welcome.

georg s
18-May-2010, 16:03
Welcome and good luck finding the needed holders. I have a „Tropen-Kamera“ from the late 20s/early 30s and I haven't figured out what kind of holders it needs...

FlyKLM
24-Jun-2010, 09:11
Hello Roadmouse, I too live in the Netherlands and have been using a Linhof Technika for about 3 years now. Wish you success with the ICA camera. I have a very old Linhof from about the 1920's which which may use the same film holders. These are thin metal cassettes in two parts, some are a little rusty and some in mint condition. I havn't tried them yet and will need to cut some film down when I do.

roadmouse
25-Jun-2010, 02:08
Thanks FlyKLM! Unfortunately the Linhof cassettes won't fit my ICA. I have tried several different 9x12 film holders. But no luck so far.
I'm not ready to give up though! Although it might be better to save my money for an old Linhof instead :)

Steven Tribe
25-Jun-2010, 03:06
I enclose a drawing of the side view of the most common types of 9x12 plate/film holders. They show the slight variation in lengths and the edge designs. ICA is type C.

ICA is usually recognisable (at least, those actually made by ICA) as they have the trademark star. I have a number of 9x12s but no ICAs. I'll look through my "stock" to see if I have one you can use to get started.

roadmouse
25-Jun-2010, 03:15
Thanks Steven! That is very useful information!

There is not much information found on these camera's. So this is a big help :)

Steven Tribe
25-Jun-2010, 03:23
Yes I do have one you can have. I found that it is identical with the later Zeiss-Ikon 9x12 film backs! Which means that if you want more - just look for Zeiss Ikon holders with the code 665/7 - these are quite common. Confirm that you would like it sent through a PM (Personal message). Will post a few photos in about 10 minutes.

IanG
25-Jun-2010, 03:35
Hello Roadmouse, I too live in the Netherlands and have been using a Linhof Technika for about 3 years now. Wish you success with the ICA camera. I have a very old Linhof from about the 1920's which which may use the same film holders. These are thin metal cassettes in two parts, some are a little rusty and some in mint condition. I havn't tried them yet and will need to cut some film down when I do.

I have some Linhof fit holders 4 I think, in quite good condition as well as a Rollex 6x9 roll film back, these don't fit any of my 59x12 cameras.

Would be willing to swap them with anyone next time I'm back in the UK, for other holders or bits for my 9x12's.

Rusty 9x12 holders clean up very easily, it's usually just surface rust which doesn't pit the metal surface.

Ian

Steven Tribe
25-Jun-2010, 03:47
A few more photos. The first shows the, rather faint, identification on the plate glass holder. The second compares the ICA holder with the later Zeiss-Ikon replacement (they included the former ICA company after their formation in 1926). The 3rd photo shows both types open - note the velvet light seal which sometimes needs to be replaced. On the left is a glass 9x12 plate. On the right is a 9x12 film adaptor which fits into these film holders so you can use modern 9x12 sheet film. When you buy other ICA/Zeiss-Ikon film holders, make sure that they have these inserts present.

roadmouse
25-Jun-2010, 04:07
Thanks again Steven!!!

The pictures look very promising. I'll compare the pictures, and see if I can post some more details/pictures of the back. I think i'll start looking for these film holders.

I'll let you know when I find out more. (it might be a few weeks, I'm currently moving homes)

Thanks again for the help! :)

Peter

Steven Tribe
25-Jun-2010, 06:00
As I said, I can send you one of these ICA holders free of charge. So PM your address (or wait until your move is complete!). I'll find one where the velvet seal is OK and the dark slide is not bent. It will be without cut film insert (they fit ALL 9x12 folders) but it is possible to mount film if you use a temporary plastic/stiff card to compress the tensioning spring for glass plates. Now back to trimming the hedge!