PDA

View Full Version : The "Official" Storyville Photographer

tgtaylor
8-May-2010, 09:32
Can anyone recall his name?

Back in the 70's when the movie "The Sting" brought back and popularized Ragtime, a collection of his work was published by Dover I believe. I bought a copy but lost it over the years.

"Storyville" was the red light district of New Orleans.

Colin Graham
8-May-2010, 09:34
EJ Bellocq?

lenser
8-May-2010, 12:00
Bellocq is indeed the right person and you might reference the movie "Pretty Baby" which seems to have been gleaned from him as a character.

Bob Salomon
8-May-2010, 12:21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Bellocq

tgtaylor
8-May-2010, 20:18
Yes, Bellocq is the guy alright. Thanks a lot everyone for your reply and a double thanks to Bob for the Wiki link. Very informative.

From what I understand, Storyville, a large section consisting of about a square mile bounded by Rampart and Claiborne Ave, sat vacant for 20 or so years after it was closed by the Feds ~ 1919. Then in the '40's it was bulldozed and the Iberville Public Housing Project was erected where it was located. There are a few original buildings remaining, at least when I was last there in the mid 70's, including part of Lulu White's place and a couple other places.

Man, what a mistake it was to bulldoze it. Can you imagine the "theme park" it would have made for the City?

Thomas