PDA

View Full Version : New from PA - My Grandfather's Camera

wegotallama
4-May-2010, 11:35
HI All,
I am looking for a studio camera like the one my grandfather Charles S Terwilliger used. I have been told it may be a Century Studio #4. All we have of him are two photos of him ( this one with his camera) and a couple postcards and Ping Pongs he made.

He passed away when my father was five years old, so we know nothing about him. He worked in Scranton Pa and Philadelphia - Olsen and Terwilliger and New Idea Studio Postcards and Ping Pongs.

Does anyone have any thoughts..ideas...suggestions?

Thanks!

Steven Tribe
4-May-2010, 11:43
You have come to the right place.
Whilst you are waiting you might like to check the catalogue for the Century Studio cameras, which you will find in the Eastman Profession 1927 catalogue at the Cameraeccentric website. The 4a (with stand) is the first camera illustrated!.

wegotallama
4-May-2010, 13:49
Thanks Steve!
Sure looks like it. Any ideas as to what lens he'd have been using and is film still available?

Steven Tribe
5-May-2010, 01:14
This is the model that was made when Kodal Eastmann had taken over Century (founded in 1900!) - so there may be some modifications compared with the 4 in your photo.

It is basically a 10x8" based studio camera - often with the option of taking two 8x5" photos on the same sheet of film. I have the 10a model (the next one down in the 1927 catalogue). Another option was a back which accepted 5x7" film. As this was the most important working tool for studio photographers, many had special film backs built to suit their clients needs ( and their pockets! ).

The lens in the photo has the look of a petzval, but not a particularly long/large one. Perhaps he was using a 5x7 or even smaller film size.

Film is readily available. Colour is problematic - both availability and processing. Some people use these camera for pre-photo industry, do-it-yourself, alternative processes.

When you are allowed entry into the for sale/wanted section here you will find that there are a few people who have rescued local studio cameras - almost out of a sense of duty! As you can imagine, transport, can be a problem.

There are plenty of general articles/discussions/photos on Century Studio cameras if you use the search facility to find them.

Nathan Smith
5-May-2010, 05:37
How about a Century 8A?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=61921

Bruce Schultz
5-May-2010, 06:37
I have a Century just like that, a No. 7, with a lens, and an identical stand. I want to keep the stand, but I'd sell the camera for what I have in it, $300 with a kodak lens, plus another $50 for shipping inside the continental U.S.

Vick Vickery
5-May-2010, 08:57
Welcome to group therepy! :) Looks like you're already getting some good info here.

Steven Tribe
5-May-2010, 12:29
Bruce! We like to be nice to the new "member" but making an offer in the "introductions" section is something that just isn't allowed although I sure you meant to be helpful! There are quite a few who can offer him/her a set when the "probation" time is served and posting in the for sale/wanted section is possible. Having just collected a 10a and semi-centenial stand from Sweden to Denmark - logistics must be an important part of the purchase decision!

genekag
19-Dec-2010, 11:54
Have you found a camera yet? If not, I have a 4A century studio camera with a Taylor Horton Cooke Lens. The camera comes with the stand and all other paraphernalia. Give me an offer.

wegotallama
19-Aug-2012, 09:10
Hi All!

I have been out of touch for a long time and am catching up with the world....just sent our daughter off to college and am now an empty nester. Still looking for a camera - guess I have to go tho the proper forum. Thanks again glad to be back

wegotallama
19-Aug-2012, 09:13
Have you found a camera yet? If not, I have a 4A century studio camera with a Taylor Horton Cooke Lens. The camera comes with the stand and all other paraphernalia. Give me an offer.

Do you still have it?

pbryld
19-Aug-2012, 10:52
You might want to send him a PM or an email.