PDA

View Full Version : Phototherm Sidekick 4x5 tank

NicolasArg
3-May-2010, 07:56
Hi,
A local lab here, has a functional Phototherm sidekick and they offered me to use it to process my 4x5 slides and BWs. It lacks the accessory 4x5 unit that is mentioned on phototherm site. I've mailed phototherm several times but had no response, nothing, nada, just and automatic email indicating my message was received.
Is it possible to find this accessory elsewhere? There is little info on the web. What would be needed to process sheet film? Just the tank and the holders?
Thanks in advance!

IanMazursky
3-May-2010, 09:14
Hi Nicolas,
Phototherm does not really respond to emails (i don't think they receive them) but if you call them, you can order it.
They are very nice and helpful. The number is (609) 396- 1456
I have a SSKRGH here and 3 4x5 tubes. They allow you to process up to 4 sheets at a time.
I would recommend using Tmax RS dev instead of the Tmax Dev they recommend.
You would have to do testing to determine times though. The 4x5 tube will fit in the 4 roll tube.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

NicolasArg
3-May-2010, 13:16
Thank you Ian for your kind answer. Today I've found a dealer for South America, I'll write them and if everything else fails, will try to call Phototherm.
I was hoping for online catalog, paypal and email ordering... can see they are truly traditional in the marketing department.
Thanks again!

IanMazursky
4-May-2010, 00:44
Hi Nicolas,
No problem, good luck with the dealer.
Phototherm as i remember was an offshoot form their regular business, Cytotherm.
They primarily make plasma thawing units. Since the decline of the photo business in general, im happy that they have continued support for the Phototherm line at all.

One thing i did notice about the 4x5 holders, around the area where the film is held in bubbles tend to form.
That leaves small areas of undeveloped film where the bubbles were.
I sanded those areas down and it helped a lot.

NicolasArg
4-May-2010, 11:16
OMG...... Phototherm answered me! And they work with all the major Credit cards!
I'll update later :)

PViapiano
5-May-2010, 09:15
I always find Phototherm to be extremely responsive. Their tech (Jerry?) is great and probably one of the best service oriented people I've come across.

I need a 4x5 insert for my machine, too...

NicolasArg
5-May-2010, 10:45
Well, I've decided to go the email route to a successful (I hope) end. A nice representative answered my email yesterday indicating they still manufacture the piece. Now I'm waiting for the price and the payment requirements

IanMazursky
5-May-2010, 11:27
Phototherm has always been great to me. I cant thank them enough for the years of support.
I only wish that more manufacturers would be like them.

NicolasArg
5-May-2010, 11:43
And from what I've seen, the sidekick is a pretty impressive machine. The lab that has it, used it for commercial batch processing of several roll formats in the 90s with great results. Now it's been used mainly for small stuff since they are almost completely digital.
I appeared there one day with several 4x5 sheets and asked them to develop them. The owner was so impressed with the fact that someone is still shooting film, he offered me to use it for my developing if I find the 4x5 holders.
It's certainly a great advantage, as I usually have to send my film to Buenos Aires.