PDA

View Full Version : World Wetplate Day - May 1

goamules
27-Apr-2010, 07:42
This Saturday is the second annual World Wetplate Day.

If you do collodion, shoot a plate to remember Archer, and to spread the good times to this generation of photographers! Last year we had a book published to generate funds to improve Archer's gravesite:

http://www.wetplateday.org/

The Southwestern contingent isn't doing a public shoot (we couldn't get the Center for Creative Photography as we'd planned) nor a big party like at Eddies, but rest assured we're shooting Saturday. Hope to see your results online too.

cdholden
27-Apr-2010, 12:18
My silver and fixer baths aren't scheduled to ship until early June. Do you think the world could reschedule this about 6 weeks later so I can participate?

goamules
27-Apr-2010, 12:19
Sure, we'll do that! Or....you can have Tennessee Wetplate Day at your house!

BarryS
27-Apr-2010, 12:31
My silver and fixer baths aren't scheduled to ship until early June. Do you think the world could reschedule this about 6 weeks later so I can participate?

You mean the boxes with the plexi inserts? If so, use some trays, fancyboy. :)

cdholden
27-Apr-2010, 13:31
I thought I'd waste less chemical mess, so yes, I opted for fancyboy boxes. As for hosting a shindig, my name isn't eddie and my garage doesn't have near enough camera gear to be called a studio. I would be willing to host such an event at a local park if enough interest is there. I'd also need a collodion clue if I were to consider such a thing. To date, I have exposed a total of 4 plates. I'm not one to ask questions about troubleshooting wet plate issues.
I'm good with beer and food. Is anyone willing to pony up the technical support for attending/co-hosting something like this in Tennessee? I'd also consider southern Kentucky or northern Alabama. Obviously May 1 is a bit soon, but later in the summer would definitely be a possibilty.
Anyone?

BarryS
27-Apr-2010, 13:36
Haha--no the boxes are great, but in a pinch you can make some plates with your silver and fixer baths in trays. You don't have to host a shindig either--it's just a nice day to shoot a few plates and honor Archer. I'll be in my studio (sorry Eddie) shooting some plates with a friend or two, and remembering the honorable man that freely gave us the collodion process.

eddie
27-Apr-2010, 15:54
you BOTH should be here!

chris. didnt we shoot some plates when you were here? use your bathroom as a darkroom. that is what i used to do. might as well try it. gotta take the plunge one day....:)

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
27-Apr-2010, 16:11
Odd that World Wet Plate Day and May Day have been scheduled together.

cdholden
27-Apr-2010, 19:44
you BOTH should be here!

chris. didnt we shoot some plates when you were here? use your bathroom as a darkroom. that is what i used to do. might as well try it. gotta take the plunge one day....:)

Yes. My 4 exposed plates were at your house. Thanks again! Besides the learning experience, it was fun too.
In addition to needing a few more things to complete the kit, I really need to spend more time at home. I'm becoming quite the road warrior bouncing between Nashville/Knoxville/Chatanooga. When I get home for a night or two, family obligations take priority over my fun.
I'm aiming for mid-June for my plunge into wet plate.

Kirk Gittings
27-Apr-2010, 20:30
Odd that World Wet Plate Day and May Day have been scheduled together.

Its an analogue/pagan conspiracy.......

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
27-Apr-2010, 20:34
and the Marxists too...

goamules
27-Apr-2010, 20:44
May 1 is the day Archer died. His birthdate is unknown.

The proceeds from last year's book and donations are being used to improve his grave at a ceremony this year on 1 May:

http://archerceremony.eventbrite.com/

Patrick Dixon
5-May-2010, 05:01
May 1st is also the day that Aryton Senna died ... in 1994.