PDA

View Full Version : Books on Pictorialism

csant
24-Apr-2010, 06:55
Richard K. recently mentioned the book on Pictorialism "Truth Beauty: Pictorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845 -1945" - I recall some other people mentioning other books on the topic in threads I now cannot find again. Then there is "Impressionist Camera: Pictorial Photography in Europe, 1888-1918"…

Pictorialism (meaning the movement) is something I am rather interested in. What books would people recommend? I am interested not only in a broad perspective, but in informative descriptions and (last but not least!) good quality reproductions. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Merg Ross
24-Apr-2010, 09:21
Though specific to a particular region, you might find interesting: "Pictorialism in California 1900-1940". My friend Dennis Reed co-authored the book, and many reproductions from his excellent photography collection are included. Not only are the well known represented (Mortensen, et al.), but also lesser known photographers who were producing fascinating work. The book is well researched and contributes to the history of the movement in California.

Mike Anderson
24-Apr-2010, 09:54
I just got "After the Photo-secession - American Pictorial Photography 1920-1955" by Christian A. Peterson. I've just skimmed it, strikes me as a good overview.

I also got what Merg recommended: "Pictorialism in California." I like that Anne Brigman - she's a babe.

...Mike

John MacManus
29-Apr-2010, 10:20
Besides the "TruthBeauty" book mentioned, my favourite book on Pictorialism is another exhibition calalogue "Impressionist Camera: Pictorial Photography in Europe" published by Merrell 2006 [ISBN 1 85894 331 0] for The Saint Louis Art Museum. The 81/2X11 inch reproductions are super and the text from England, France, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Russia is very informative.

Recommended ... J

Michael Gordon
29-Apr-2010, 17:06
Check out "Photo-Secession: Stieglitz and the Fine-Art Movement in Photography" (Dover Pictorial Archives) by Robert Doty. You're not going to find any images online (I could not) but you can peak up a cheap copy through Amazon. I recommend it for the collection.

Thebes
8-May-2010, 12:53
I just got "After the Photo-secession - American Pictorial Photography 1920-1955" by Christian A. Peterson. I've just skimmed it, strikes me as a good overview.

I just got this for about the price of a song (plus shipping) used on Amazon. I've only read 1/4 of it so far. Good book, though not a superb one. Its certainly an excellent buy right now!

Mike Anderson
8-May-2010, 14:55
I just got this for about the price of a song (plus shipping) used on Amazon. I've only read 1/4 of it so far. Good book, though not a superb one. Its certainly an excellent buy right now!

I just got "PHOTO-SECESSION Stieglitz and the Fine-Art Movement in Photography" by Robert Doty. Interesting, this (admittedly) narrow view. But for $7 + $4 shipping from Amazon used section. You can find some great deals from the Amazon affiliates used section. Although we shouldn't talk about it too much or the prices will go up.:)

...Mike

sanking
8-May-2010, 18:24
In addition to the works already mentioned I would recommend the following books.

William Crawford, The Keepers of Light. Great section on the importance of photograpic syntax. 1979

John Taylor, Pictorial Photography in Britain and America,1900-20. 1978

A. J. Anderson, The Artistic Side of Photography, 1910

Paul L. Anderson, Pictorial Photography: Its Principles and Practice. 1917

Margaret Harker, The Linked Ring, 1979.

Anthony Bannon, The Photo Pictorialists of Buffalo. 1981

Peter Bunnel, A Photographic Vision: Pictorial Photography 1889-1923

The work by Bunnel, who was Professor of Photograhy at Princenton, was published in the 1970s and is very significant in that it initiated a new perspective on Pictorialism that countered the modernist positions that had held sway since the late 1920s.

Sandy King

Peter De Smidt
8-May-2010, 19:37
Some of William Mortensen's and George Dunham's writings might be useful, in particular The Command To Look. Monster's and Madonna's and The Model would also be worth checking out.