PDA

View Full Version : Tetenal E-6 Date Codes

Lawrence Ober
19-Apr-2010, 15:36
I just received a 3-bath 5L Tetenal E-6 kit from B&H. How does one read the date code? There does not appear to be any straight forward date codes on the packaging. The box has "922105" stamped on the inside, the First Developer is "91.71.04" and the Color Developer is "91.80.20". I can't decipher anything meaningful from these numbers. Any suggestions?

Greg Blank
23-Apr-2010, 17:30
Hey there Lawrence;

Most chemical companies don't use date coding, instead they utilize batch coding. Since the company I work for distributed that Tetenal I can tell you it is normal that separate components don't have corresponding numbers. Also give the amount of Tetenal B&H moves per month its unlikely you have dated chemistry. Even during the recession business has been brisk so its been moving in a normal time frame from our warehouse.

If there is a justifible reason you suspect you have dated chemistry feel free to contact me at Omega Satter.

gblank@omegasatter.com

I just received a 3-bath 5L Tetenal E-6 kit from B&H. How does one read the date code? There does not appear to be any straight forward date codes on the packaging. The box has "922105" stamped on the inside, the First Developer is "91.71.04" and the Color Developer is "91.80.20". I can't decipher anything meaningful from these numbers. Any suggestions?

Lawrence Ober
24-Apr-2010, 06:35
Thank you. I know that the Kodak date stamps either the components or boxes in the case of kits. It's been a few years since I've used any color processing products but I thought Tetenal used to date stamp the boxes. In any case, the contents aren't visibly off color. I was just curious as I have occasionally received short dated chemistry fro B&H over the years despite their overall high volume.

Greg Blank
25-Apr-2010, 22:04
You are welcome, One should always test chemicals before doing important rolls. I make my own snip tests with a grey card on 35mm film shooting the whole roll and then rewinding the film back into the cassette. When I am ready to process, I pull about five frames out of the cassette and run them first to make sure my time, temperature etc is acceptable.

Thank you. I know that the Kodak date stamps either the components or boxes in the case of kits. It's been a few years since I've used any color processing products but I thought Tetenal used to date stamp the boxes. In any case, the contents aren't visibly off color. I was just curious as I have occasionally received short dated chemistry fro B&H over the years despite their overall high volume.

Lawrence Ober
26-Apr-2010, 04:13
I wrote Tetenal technical support and received the following answer:

"please read the code in the following way:

First figure (From the left): Year
Next two figures (Also from the left): Week"

I assume they mean this is the date of manufacture. Therefore, the kit I recently received was made in May 2009.

tmbg
27-Apr-2010, 07:14
By the way, I have a tetenal 5L E6 kit, and I know I'm supposed to throw the stuff out and mix fresh at some point, but the first pint I mixed just keeps developing sheet after sheet with no signs of exhaustion. I have been through probably 30 sheets of 4x5 velvia through the initial pint of chemistry, and they still look great!