PDA

View Full Version : Microtek M1 question

Cesare Berti
18-Apr-2010, 19:41
I bought a used M1 pro last week to repalce my ailing Epson 4870. I plan to use it mainly with 4x5 and 5x7 film. One accessory missing from the scanner was the 8x10 glass carrier. I assume that it is similar to the main holder but I'm not positive. Any thoughts on whether buying a piece of glass cut to the size of the main holder opening would work as well?

I sent Microtek an email enquiry about buying a glass holder but so far no response.

BarryS
18-Apr-2010, 19:56
Cesare- The glass carrier is very similar to the other holders, but the frame for the glass extends a little lower in the carrier. If you have a piece of glass cut for the insert holder, the top surface will be above where the normal focus is for either the EDIT carrier or the glass carrier. The question is whether the range of the autofocus will accommodate the higher plane of focus. I don't know the answer, but glass is cheap, so I'd have a sheet cut with smoothed edges and test for focus with a 4x5 *properly* placed in an EDIT carrier vs. on top of the glass.

Cesare Berti
19-Apr-2010, 13:25
Microtek responded, the have a sales office in California. A replacement glass holder is $65. Now that I've got the scanner working (with the Siverfast software) I'll probably spring for the holder.

Just a side note, are they all this noisy? A real symphony of whirrs & whines, muy Epson 4870 could be considered silent running by comparison.

Cesare

BarryS
19-Apr-2010, 13:37
Heheh--yes it sounds like an ancient torture device. :) That's the autofocus control and also the reason it weighs so much. I'll trade the noise for the autofocus--it seems to do a good job.

Cesare Berti
19-Apr-2010, 13:46
Thanks Barry, when I first played with it I was sure something was loose inside. It was not a confidence builder.