PDA

View Full Version : Scott Kelby on CS5

John Brady
12-Apr-2010, 05:24
Just saw this today from Amazon. I think if I was a plug in manufacturer I would be a bit concerned. This is the most robust upgrade I have seen from adobe in a long time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1WBCBFFURXZSI

www.timeandlight.com

D. Bryant
12-Apr-2010, 09:02
Just saw this today from Amazon. I think if I was a plug in manufacturer I would be a bit concerned. This is the most robust upgrade I have seen from adobe in a long time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1WBCBFFURXZSI

www.timeandlight.com

Kelby sounds like a DJ. Too bad Adobe didn't have a bug release to fix the features that didn't work.

Don Bryant

Ken Lee
12-Apr-2010, 09:13
He really does sound like a DJ !

When will we see the rebates, special trade-in allowances, and coupons ?

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/sideshowbarker.jpg

BarryS
12-Apr-2010, 09:52
This [trivial] photoshop feature --WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE! :)

PViapiano
12-Apr-2010, 16:20
Photoshop became bloatware several versions ago...

JohnnyV
12-Apr-2010, 16:41
64-bit for Mac and Content Aware Fill is worth the upgrade for me... even though Content Aware Fill was in Gimp first!

Brian Ellis
12-Apr-2010, 16:44
This [trivial] photoshop feature --WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE! :)

I had to laugh at that one too. I kind of like my life the way it is. And now it's going to change if I buy CS5? What kind of sales pitch is that?

Marko
12-Apr-2010, 21:02
I had to laugh at that one too. I kind of like my life the way it is. And now it's going to change if I buy CS5? What kind of sales pitch is that?

At least he's not screaming... yet. ;)

He's not pitching Photoshop, by the way. No need for it, it will sell on its own. He's pitching his tutorials and "we" (as in consumers) are more likely to buy them if they're about something life-altering rather than something trivial.

But the irony is, he's right - Photoshop has already radically changed our lives, one little "trivial" feature after the other, over the last ten years or so. Or else we wouldn't be having a few "discussions" like this every week. :)

z_photo
13-Apr-2010, 05:12
Almost as annoying as his writing style

Jim Ewins
13-Apr-2010, 18:59
Just what I need another upgrade that I'm still trying to master in 5 years.

neil poulsen
14-Apr-2010, 06:37
. . . But the irony is, he's right - Photoshop has already radically changed our lives, one little "trivial" feature after the other, over the last ten years or so. Or else we wouldn't be having a few "discussions" like this every week. :)

e.g. The healing brush.

PenGun
20-Apr-2010, 15:33
The only reason one would need to master Photoshop is if you did digital image manipulation for a living.

Most of us just need to master a tiny subset of it's features to deal with our images. I just twist B&W and and only for my printer. This is not to say that there are not valuable tutorials that are useful but really if the image is good 'levels' is 90% of the battle.The web stuff is trivial, Gimp is just fine.

I do get a kick out of the large group of guys making a good living off the ignorance of the digital SLR guys though.

Greg Blank
20-Apr-2010, 20:00
Anything you can learn is good, I think curves substantially beats levels for tonal adjustments- from what I see. If I was just using levels I'd be doing Photo Shop elements. But I use batching, actions and a separate plugin that allows me to generate complete websites using the batch actions functions and PSD files, in short that saves me many many hours of work coding. I am setting up files for prepress as CMYK, not that you can't do that in other programs but PS has it all and it intrigrates well with the Data Color device I use for calibration.

I've been toying with the idea of CS5 extended. Or even upgrading to the full graphics CS5 suite from PS3.

The only reason one would need to master Photoshop is if you did digital image manipulation for a living.

Most of us just need to master a tiny subset of it's features to deal with our images. I just twist B&W and and only for my printer. This is not to say that there are not valuable tutorials that are useful but really if the image is good 'levels' is 90% of the battle.The web stuff is trivial, Gimp is just fine.

I do get a kick out of the large group of guys making a good living off the ignorance of the digital SLR guys though.

PenGun
21-Apr-2010, 03:38
Anything you can learn is good, I think curves substantially beats levels for tonal adjustments- from what I see. If I was just using levels I'd be doing Photo Shop elements. But I use batching, actions and a separate plugin that allows me to generate complete websites using the batch actions functions and PSD files, in short that saves me many many hours of work coding. I am setting up files for prepress as CMYK, not that you can't do that in other programs but PS has it all and it intrigrates well with the Data Color device I use for calibration.

I've been toying with the idea of CS5 extended. Or even upgrading to the full graphics CS5 suite from PS3.

As I said I just use it for my B&W scans. Curves I use more for colour but whatever floats your boat.

I'm sure you can "batch" Photoshop to do a series of actions to images but I would like to know about a plugin that makes websites. I used to do website backends at one time and having stuff just assemble it's self was my whole purpose. Those were the good ol' days of perl against Apache. Still useful, but php is enough for most anything.

I really just use Photoshop for it's killer spot tool. Cinepaint will work well too for my simple needs. I keep Win 7 around for my games so it's easy to add Photoshop.

mdd99
26-Apr-2010, 14:20
Just what I need another upgrade that I'm still trying to master in 5 years.

10 for me.