PDA

View Full Version : LF around Portland, OR, USA

Bruce Watson
6-Apr-2010, 13:19
I'm likely going to have a trip to Portland, OR in the near future. I'll probably be leashed to Portland and can make day trips from Portland for a couple of days, maybe as many as four. Don't know yet.

I'll have my LF kit with me -- full backpack. So hiking is fine. Given that I'm perfectly willing to work for it, what are the top attractions around Portland for the LFer?

I'm most interested in nature, and I'm more of a mountains type than a beach type. So I guess I'm looking for the Oregon version of Yosemite. I'm thinking the Columbia River Gorge area should be worth a visit for example. But clearly the people in Portland and Oregon in general know more about their area that I do. So what say you good LFers in Oregon?

Kirk Keyes
6-Apr-2010, 13:59
Head up the Gorge. Take I-84 east out of Portland, and then take the Corbett exit and drive up to the top of the hill to the town of Corbett and then turn left and head east on the Old Columbia River Highway. You'll get to Crown Point first, then stop every mile or so when you see a pull out and a waterfall. Stop and hike around Latourell, Multnomah, and Wahclellah Falls.

You can pretty much ignore the Washington side, and when you get to Cascade Locks, head back to town.

That will take most of a day to do it justice, so do what you can.

Brian Ellis
6-Apr-2010, 17:44
Head over to Cannon Beach from Portland, about a 1 1/2 hour drive, maybe in time to get to the Ecola Point lookout (at the north end of Cannon Beach) at sunrise for one of the nicest vistas on the coast looking south along the ocean and buttes/mountains/hills to the east. When you're through photographing there get back onto Highway 101, stop to photograph Haystack Rock on Cannon Beach a couple miles south of Ecola Point (if you don't mind photographing something that's been photographed a million times by a million tourists but still an impressive hunk of rock). Then back onto 101 to Hug Point about 5 miles south of Cannon Beach. In order to photograph Hug Point you have to be there no sooner than about an hour before lowest tide or you can't set up your tripod because of the waves. So check out a tide table before you leave and time your visit there accordingly.

Take the short walk down to the beach from the Hug Point parking lot and head north on the beach. When you get around the edge of the first cliff nearest the ocean, just a couple hundred yards from the beach access point, you'll come to a lovely cove with a small waterfall, caves, cliffs, and rocks. You can spend a lot of time just in that one small area. When you're through just walk north along the beach for as long as you feel like it, making sure you don't get so far down the beach that when you return you can't get around Hug Point because the tide has come in. Fortunately there's plenty of cliffs, rocks, tide pools, etc. in the larger cove immediately north of Hug Point so you can spend plenty of time in that one area without going much farther north.

After finishing there get back onto 101 and head down to Oswald West State Park. I'm not sure of the distance but it isn't very far, maybe 15 - 20 minutes as best I recall. Park at the large Oswald West day-use parking area at the Highway 101 bridge over Sand Creek and take the half-mile trail that leads to Smuggler's Cove and Cape Falcon. The trail goes through an old growth forest and winds along Sand Creek, which is itself a nice area to photograph if it's overcast or drizzling. You'll come to a junction with the Oregon Coast Trail. Head left on that trail to Smuggler's Cove and right to Cape Falcon. It's only a short distance over a suspension bridge to Smuggler's Cove and about a two mile hike to the tip of Cape Falcon.

If conditions are good and you're as inspired as I am by this part of the Oregon Coast you should have a great day. The only caution is that the coast can be very windy this time of year so I'd suggest bringing a smaller camera with you in addition to your LF camera just in case the wind is too strong. Also some rain gear.

Depending on the tides, you may want to do Oswald West before Hug Point. Also, Hug Point is best in late afternoon if the tides cooperate.

Drew Wiley
6-Apr-2010, 19:54
I don't live in OR but my wife is from Portland and I have plenty of family there too,
and I lived some summers as a kid at Tillamook on the OR coast, so have opportunity to explore and photograph. Just remember your rain gear, including a
waterproof darkcloth. You've got the Gorge, Mt Hood, Rose Gardens in town, no
shortage of things to shoot. There's also some beautiful farm and vineyard country
both in the Willamette Valley and on the Washington side of the Columbia. Really way too much to see on a short trip. And plenty of Cascade peaks both to the south
and north (including Rainier and St Helens). Hood River Valley is also nice. But if it
were my first trip there, I'd concentrate on a single area, like the Gorge.

Monty McCutchen
6-Apr-2010, 23:30
Bruce

I go to Portland 5 or 6 times a year for work and bring a LF camera with me often when I go. I believe it is one of the most photographic cities and areas in the US. If you want an really enjoyable hike that is somewhat strenuous but not outrageously so, take the three mile or so (don't quote me on that) hike back to Punchbowl Falls. I think it is one of the most beautiful in the Gorge. Not a deep drop to the falls but a beautiful one nonetheless. The hike is not all that friendly to knees though! If you like high desert country then cross over at/near the Dalles and take one of the roads up into Washington towards Yakima. Much starker than the Goarge but it has a beauty all its own--like I said, if you like high desert. In town the Japanese Garden up in Washington Park is spectacular. I have been working on a series there for the last several years.

Hope you have a good trip and hope you post some images when you get back.

Monty

John NYC
7-Apr-2010, 15:08
I lived in Portland for many years. All good suggestions so far.

I would second Oswald West, but I would hike up above it (heading south) to where the hills go straight down into the water. Stunning.

I'd also recommend finding a hiking trail that will allow you to drive halfway up Mt. Hood, hike up for a few miles and then be able to look down south over the Cascades. Stunning!

Finally, a sleeper of a place is Mt. Adams and the part nearby.

Have fun. I would wait as late as possible for your trip as it can still be typically drab weather until summer gets in full swing. Weather in Portland is like 8.5 months of dreary and 3.5 months of PERFECTION! And I do mean perfection.

Bruce Watson
7-Apr-2010, 17:58
All good information. I had a feeling it was the Gorge and the Coast. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything "major" as it were. If anyone has more suggestions, please let's hear 'em.

And yes, I will bring some rain protection. At least for the camera kit. :D

Eric Brody
8-Apr-2010, 08:34
I agree with all the advice about the Columbia Gorge, I spend much of the year hiking and photographing there. If I had just a few days here, that's where I'd go. Eagle Creek is a magical trail, exit 41 on I-84, a relatively easy hike and one of the most beautiful in the gorge. The hike in, some photos, and hike out will take a significant portion of the day, unless you photograph and hike much more quickly than I do. The Punchbowl is 3.8 miles round trip with just 500 feet of elevation. Look at www.portlandhikers.org for more detailed info on the trails. Wahclella Falls is only a mile each way, relatively flat, and is lovely if your energy level is a bit lower. Or you can do what lots of tourists do, drive the Scenic Highway, off at Bridal Veil, don't slow down and aim your point and shoot through the car window at each of the beautiful waterfalls :)

Our rocky beautiful coast is wonderful as well, it's just a longer, but pleasant, drive on US 26 from Portland, about 90 minutes to Cannon Beach/Ecola and then 20-30 minutes south to Hug Point and Oswald West.

Depending on weather, time, and your desires, also consider looping around Mt Hood. Going up the Columbia on I-84 and through Hood River on OR 35, good brewpubs in Hood River , and up over the mountain will give you a series of views hard to find in North Carolina.

Bring rain gear for yourself and your camera, plenty of film, and hiking poles. I am fortunate to live in a beautiful state. In 30 years here, I've only just begun and I'm a retired bum with lots of time on my hands. Let us know where you go and how the trip went upon your return.

Eric

Eric Brody
8-Apr-2010, 08:36
Also, not to frighten you, just good common sense, leave NOTHING of value in your vehicle if you park at a trail head. I've never had a problem in 30 years, but have occasionally seen broken window glass.

Eric

tom north
20-Apr-2010, 12:21
Bruce,

Head north on I-5 to Mt. St. Helens. It's a 1.5 hr. drive. Go all the way to Johnson Observatory, park, hike about 1/4 miles to the east and you will find yourself looking straight into the mouth of Mt. St. Helens volcano. This is the wildest thing you will ever see.

Best

Tom

domaz
20-Apr-2010, 14:35
Since you are a backpacker and like mountains you might consider climbing a ways up or around Mt Adams. Just take I-84 to Hood River, cross the bridge and head up to Trout Lake,WA. There are lots of trails around Mt Adams which are quite beautiful. Alternatively follow the Climbers trail on the south side of the mountain to Lunch Counter. From the far west part (climbers left) of Lunch Counter you will have a great view of Mt St Helens and the whole landscape to the West of the mountain. You will also have distant views of Hood and the rest of the Oregon Cascades. Lunch Counter is a great place to setup camp and then you can climb Adams the next day if your feeling ambitious.

Eric Brody
20-Apr-2010, 18:08
Sorry Tom, check the Mt St Helens website, Johnston Ridge is closed until May 16! It is beautiful but only if you can get in, and if it's foggy, well...

Eric

Rakesh Malik
27-Apr-2010, 14:59
Bruce,

Head north on I-5 to Mt. St. Helens. It's a 1.5 hr. drive. Go all the way to Johnson Observatory, park, hike about 1/4 miles to the east and you will find yourself looking straight into the mouth of Mt. St. Helens volcano. This is the wildest thing you will ever see.

Best

Tom

It's the Johnston Ridge Observatory, and watch for snow and ice on the road. The last time I checked (over the weekend), the forest service indicated that the Spirit Lake Highway is open up to the Hummocks trailhead, so you might have to hike the Boundary trail (it branches off of the Hummocks trail) in order to get to the Johnston Ridge Observatory. It's not a terribly difficult trail, though the footing is a bit uncertain since a lot of it is pumice.

If you're more ambitious, you can attempt to get a climbing permit, rent some snowshoes from REI or similar, and head on up to the summit.

Bruce Watson
27-Apr-2010, 16:18
Head up the Gorge. Take I-84 east out of Portland, and then take the Corbett exit and drive up to the top of the hill to the town of Corbett and then turn left and head east on the Old Columbia River Highway. You'll get to Crown Point first, then stop every mile or so when you see a pull out and a waterfall. Stop and hike around Latourell, Multnomah, and Wahclellah Falls.

You can pretty much ignore the Washington side, and when you get to Cascade Locks, head back to town.

That will take most of a day to do it justice, so do what you can.

I did this. Excellent suggestion, I especially liked the view down east up the gorge from the first viewpoint. I came back to that on the way back to Portland and caught some decent light. Maybe. Won't know until I see the film on the light table.

Bruce Watson
27-Apr-2010, 16:22
Bruce

I go to Portland 5 or 6 times a year for work and bring a LF camera with me often when I go. I believe it is one of the most photographic cities and areas in the US. If you want an really enjoyable hike that is somewhat strenuous but not outrageously so, take the three mile or so (don't quote me on that) hike back to Punchbowl Falls. I think it is one of the most beautiful in the Gorge.

Managed to get out and do this hike as well. Excellent! Punch Bowl fall is indeed beautiful. Well worth the effort! Good thing I had my steel shank hiking boots though -- those little pointy rock would be killer in running shoes!

Bruce Watson
27-Apr-2010, 16:25
Head over to Cannon Beach from Portland, about a 1 1/2 hour drive, maybe in time to get to the Ecola Point lookout (at the north end of Cannon Beach) at sunrise for one of the nicest vistas on the coast looking south along the ocean and buttes/mountains/hills to the east.

On my way out I did manage to sneak in a couple of hours at the coast -- all at Ecola Point. Fabulous! One of the best beach views I've ever see. I managed to get there near dusk on a stormy day. The light was nicely dramatic, the fog and haze and clouds were excellent!

Nice tip. Wish I'd had more time. Weeks more. Sigh...

Thanks for all the tips people!

Jan Pedersen
27-Apr-2010, 19:15
Nice tip. Wish I'd had more time. Weeks more. Sigh...

Good reason to come again soon. Look forward to see some work from your trip.

jan

stevebrot
27-Apr-2010, 20:41
...I managed to get there near dusk on a stormy day. The light was nicely dramatic, the fog and haze and clouds were excellent!...

The best time to be at Ecola from my experience. I am glad that you had a good and fruitful visit. Next time you are in the Columbia River Gorge, you will have to take the short hike to Ponytail and on to Triple Falls. In summer, McNeil Point on the west side of Mt. Hood is fairly accessible and stunningly beautiful. Good views are also available by car at Cloud Cap Chalet and Timberline Lodge. Two hours to the southeast brings you to Smith Rocks with climbers and dramatic rock formations.

There is so much here...you've simply got to come back!

Steve