PDA

View Full Version : DIY Custom Bellows Kit available now for any format.

svarzaru
1-Apr-2010, 21:30
The "DIY Custom Camera Bellows Kit" is available now at www.diycamerakit.com (http://www.diycamerakit.com/product_info.php?cPath=295&products_id=1) for any format (2x3, 4x5, 8x10, 11x14, 5x7, 8.5x6.5, etc).

JRFrench
1-Apr-2010, 22:03
Aw what happened to the trial :( I might buy a kit tho.

svarzaru
2-Apr-2010, 06:42
The trial is closed now. You are welcome to buy a kit ;-)

jon.oman
2-Apr-2010, 07:06
This is great! I'm planning to build an 8x10 inch field camera.....

Jon

DanJones
2-Apr-2010, 07:37
Anyone in the group, who took part in the tests, able to give us their take on on the kits?

svarzaru
5-Apr-2010, 09:24
A 4 min "quick review" video of the building process is available now at this link (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9CBE9CBB9806F2BD) (first video). Please note that the kit is offered with a "100% money back guarantee". If did your best to make it and it didn't come out as you expected, I will refund your purchase price.

Erik Larsen
6-Apr-2010, 07:32
that is too cool! gives me an excuse to build another camera.
good luck with it.
Erik

manish.koirala2
6-Apr-2010, 08:16
I am interested because I want to build a 8x10 camera. I was reading this forum for a while but I don't have a camera and want one now ;) I want to know if I should make bellows first and then build camera or first build bellows then make camera. Some people say build camera around bellows.

I went to your website and it says parts will be available. I will need hardware. Are you selling hardware?

svarzaru
7-Apr-2010, 22:10
I am interested because ....

Opinions are divided, you are the one that needs to decide. I will offer hardware at some point, but right now the bellows and the ground glass kits are the only items available.

Joe Smigiel
8-Apr-2010, 08:14
I'm assuming you are using some sort of computer program to design the bellows pattern. Is it possible to obtain just the pattern printout at a reduced cost? I already have liner material and fabric for the outer cover and have experience in building (square) bellows.

I'm interested in a replacement for an 8x20 Korona and would like to have a bellows that extends to ~ 48." Is that possible with your system?

svarzaru
8-Apr-2010, 13:33
I'm assuming you are using some sort of computer program to design the bellows pattern. Is it possible to obtain just the pattern printout at a reduced cost? I already have liner material and fabric for the outer cover and have experience in building (square) bellows.

I'm interested in a replacement for an 8x20 Korona and would like to have a bellows that extends to ~ 48." Is that possible with your system?

Yes, I did mean to offer a "pattern only" kit, I just didn't get around to figure out a price structure. Yes, I wrote a computer program for designing the bellows. The size is not a limitation, though I would have to outsource printing the patterns for an 8x20. Such a kit would include the patterns for a paper model, a pattern for the stiffeners and a pattern for the liner and cover. Could you please send me an inquiry through the website so I can keep track of it? I could let you know when I figured it out.

photodoc
11-Apr-2010, 09:29
Can you tell me what material is used for the covering and does it totally block infrared light?

svarzaru
11-Apr-2010, 15:02
Can you tell me what material is used for the covering and does it totally block infrared light?

I have not tested the material for infrared light yet so I cannot answer that question. The material is a poly-cotton blend on the outside with a rubber core.

ruckusman
29-Apr-2010, 21:50
Hi Sorin,

I know this partially off topic, and it's great to see that you're generating income with the bellows and ground glass.

Have you considered making backs and ground glass holders in different sizes as a step to the whole camera production, as well as possibly the components for film holders.

In most cases, the cost and rarity of these cameras and parts, prevent people from trying less common formats.

From what I've seen of the whole camera prototypes - your accuracy and design skills are exceptional. Then you could also provide the bellows patterns/kits and ground glass kits to suit.

Assembling film holders isn't difficult, cutting the parts to fine tolerance is.

For example I've an older Arca Swiss monorail. Attaching a different format back is incredibly simple, with the movements, swing, shift and tilt, in the base.

Sinar, Horseman, Toyo and other monorails may be as easily adapted.

I was another forum member post an Arca 4x5" to 8x10" conversion with a back and ground glass holder he got at a swap meet IIRC.

I'd love 4"x10" and even 7"x17" backs and holders for my Arca, but both parts are rare, expensive and backs not usually available as separate items.

just a thought...

Glenn

svarzaru
22-Jul-2010, 06:34
The DIY Bellows Kit will only be available for a couple of weeks from now because I will be out of the country at least until January, possibly more. If you were planning on ordering a kit, you should place it now. The DIY Camera Kit will be delayed as well until I am back.

jon.oman
5-Sep-2010, 06:57
I believe he is out of the country until January, so he is not taking orders at this time.

Jon

goamules
7-Dec-2010, 07:36
Time to resurrect this post, January is approaching and I asked on the DIY Bellows website if he is going to start selling kits again. No answer. So I thought I'd ask here: anyone know if these kits will soon be available again? I have two cameras to do.

svarzaru
7-Dec-2010, 10:13
Unfortunately I will out of the country until April-May.

goamules
7-Dec-2010, 20:05
OK, looks like I need to look for another solution for my cameras with shot bellows. Thanks.

Curt
7-Dec-2010, 20:13
The website is too hard to navigate; I should be able to select 11x14 bellows; I couldn't even find the kits and prices right away and came away without finding the sizes and prices.

Curt

goamules
8-Dec-2010, 11:34
It's a moot point now. The owner of the business won't fill orders until April or May 2011, if then. I've already been waiting about 6 months because the last word was he'd start selling in Jan. I can't wait forever, I'll have to shop elsewhere. But it looked like a great kit while it lasted.

Brian C. Miller
8-Dec-2010, 18:20
Uh, oh, don't click on the DIY camera kit link at the start of the thread. Somebody has compromised the host, and Kaspersky gave me a lot of Java trojan alerts.

12/8/2010 5:16:34 PM Malicious HTTP object <*address removed*>: detected Trojan program 'Trojan-Downloader.Java.OpenConnection.cd'.

Curt
8-Dec-2010, 23:01
Is Kapersky software an excellent product for security alerts and will it get rid of invaders once you have them?

Scott --
10-Dec-2010, 10:38
(1) Disappointing to hear that your kits will be unavailable for so much longer.
(2) When I go to the site, I get a warning page on my browser that says the site appears to host malware and may present a threat to my computer. Just sayin'.

Brian C. Miller
12-Dec-2010, 03:03
Is Kapersky software an excellent product for security alerts and will it get rid of invaders once you have them?

Yes, Kaspersky (http://usa.kaspersky.com/) is quite good. I found out about it from a radio interview with David Mitnick. I've been told that ESET (http://www.eset.com/) is faster, but I haven't tried it. I have had problems with both McAfee and Norton, so I don't use them anymore. So far I haven't had any problems using Kaspersky.

Scott --
15-Dec-2010, 13:22
Okay, anyone recall what the cost on one of these kits for 4x5 was? I can't get into the webpage, and have a project that, should the price of this kit be good enough, may make due with patches until April-May. Sorin, I think, is a decent guy, who will deliver when he's back in pocket, unlike that Kapono guy...

svarzaru
15-Dec-2010, 14:04
It seems like the site was compromised, I am restoring it now from a backup. The price for a 4x5 kit was around $40. The largest kit I was able to offer was 8x10 because my printer is unable to print larger then that (for the patterns).

Sorry if the kit being unavailable is causing problems, but I am pretty sure I mentioned I will be out of the country until at least January.