PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Master Technika 2000 Fresnel Lens

zoneVIII
25-Mar-2010, 06:06
I just bought used MT2000, I've found that the fresnel place in back of GG, so it has scracth badly, my Ebony place the fresnel in front of GG (inside) so it has not scratch, I could focus in ebony without darkcloth, but in MT so dim if I'm not used darkcloth.
Anybody knew that I could buy another fresnel lens for MT and place it inside like ebony, Thanks anyway

Haryanto

Bob McCarthy
25-Mar-2010, 06:14
The fresnel should be behind the GG if focusing accuracy matters to you. Ebony redesigned the latest camera moving the fresnel to the rearward position.

The Linhof superscreen is usually found with a clear cover over the fresnel. If you go w/o it, you better use a soft loupe.

bob

zoneVIII
25-Mar-2010, 06:18
I should replaced the fresnel, is the linhof screen dimmer than ebony?

Thanks Bob

Bob McCarthy
25-Mar-2010, 12:50
I think that may be a difficult question, I've never viewed through an Ebony side by side with a TK2K. I can say with certainly that the Linhof superscreen is brighter than the standard Linhof GG.

The Linhof is a one piece screen like the Beatty with frosted surface on one side and fresnel on the back. Since the ridges are exposed to the loupe, many use covers.

If not, be very careful and do not use a hard edged loupe.

bob

Bob McCarthy
25-Mar-2010, 12:56
I believe I initially confused Ebony with Chamonix (which does have the fresnel on the wrong side of the GG (my opinion)).

I thought the fresnel was behind the Lens like a Technika!!

If its a 2 piece It should have the fresnel groves inward.

bob

Bill_1856
25-Mar-2010, 14:37
If you can afford an Ebony and a MT2000 you can certainly afford a Maxwell screen for it. That will solve your problem.

zoneVIII
25-Mar-2010, 19:03
Bob, it's 2 pieces, one glass is inward and the plastic with texture in outward direct to loupe, My friend has a TK3K has the same pieces and placement.

Bill, where can I find Maxwell screen

Thanks

zoneVIII
25-Mar-2010, 19:04
Bob, it's 2 pieces, one glass is inward and the plastic with texture in outward direct to loupe, My friend has a TK3K has the same pieces and placement.

Bill, where can I find Maxwell screen

haryanto

Thanks

Bill_1856
25-Mar-2010, 19:37
Try the following for Bill Maxwell -

Telephone - (404) 244-0095

email - maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net (reported as not current)

Maxwell Precision Optics
P.O. 33146
Decatur, GA
30033-0146

zoneVIII
25-Mar-2010, 19:48
Thanks Bill

Regards Haryanto

Bob Salomon
25-Mar-2010, 20:04
To place the fresnel inside the gg the camera has top be sent to the service center to reposition the shims or else your focus plane will be off.

Bob Salomon
25-Mar-2010, 20:05
I think that may be a difficult question, I've never viewed through an Ebony side by side with a TK2K. I can say with certainly that the Linhof superscreen is brighter than the standard Linhof GG.

The Linhof is a one piece screen like the Beatty with frosted surface on one side and fresnel on the back. Since the ridges are exposed to the loupe, many use covers.

If not, be very careful and do not use a hard edged loupe.

bob

The Super Screen, which has been discontinued for almost 20 years was a one piece screen. The Linhof gg and fresnel are two seperate pieces.

zoneVIII
25-Mar-2010, 22:53
Thanks Bob,

zoneVIII
26-Mar-2010, 00:28
Thanks Bob,

Bob McCarthy
26-Mar-2010, 01:27
The Super Screen, which has been discontinued for almost 20 years was a one piece screen. The Linhof gg and fresnel are two seperate pieces.

Guess they stayed in stock for a while. I bought one from Jim at Midwest a few years back for my TK2K.

20 years you say!!

bob

Bob McCarthy
26-Mar-2010, 07:08
Guess they stayed in stock for a while. I bought one from Jim at Midwest a few years back for my TK2K.

20 years you say!!

bob

anyway to the point, I thought the fresnel rings were inside facing on the linhof if a two piece system was deployed. The OP had scratched/damaged rings implying they were outward facing.

So either it was a Superscreen or equivalent one piece screen w/o a protective cover glass

or

A two piece GG & fresnel with the fresnel installed backwards.

I hope I am of some help to you OP'er. I seem to be muddying the issue.

bob

Bob McCarthy
26-Mar-2010, 07:14
And lastly, if it were my camera I'd follow the advice to install a Maxwell with coverglass.

Never seen a better system for the Technika.

bob

Bob Salomon
26-Mar-2010, 07:46
anyway to the point, I thought the fresnel rings were inside facing on the linhof if a two piece system was deployed. The OP had scratched/damaged rings implying they were outward facing.

So either it was a Superscreen or equivalent one piece screen w/o a protective cover glass

or

A two piece GG & fresnel with the fresnel installed backwards.

I hope I am of some help to you OP'er. I seem to be muddying the issue.

bob

The correct orientation for a modern Linhof is the gg on the bottom with the grain surface resting directly on the shims and the fresnel on top of the gg held in place with the Fresnel Holding Clips which are standard on all modern Linhof 45 cameras. The fresnel is placed with the ring side facing the gg and the back, smooth side, facing the eye.

BTW, the Superscreen was made by Fresnel Optics in Rochester, NY (whose name is now the same as their parent company in Germany). Beattie/was owned by the same company and the technology of the Super Screen and the Beattie Screen were very similar since they came from the same source. The cover glass for the Superscreen came from a supplier different then anything Beattie might have offerd as we bought them from a scientific float glass supplier and had them silk screened by a shop in Caldwell, NJ who is long out of business.

zoneVIII
26-Mar-2010, 08:23
No Bob, You didn't muddying the topic. You are very helpfull thanks a lot.

Bob Salomon: my friend has MT3k the soft glass face outward, n the hard one inside