PDA

View Full Version : Good guide for large format portraits?

sully75
23-Mar-2010, 11:50
Hi All,

Learning LF (5x7) after years working with EOS digital cameras. I have a good rhythm and style (for me) with the digital camera, but don't use a tripod, and usually end up taking 50 or so pictures.

Is there a standard guide/book about using the large format camera for taking portraits? I see a lot of advice on doing landscapes but I'd like something that explains the mechanics of DOF, how to pick a spot for the tripod, etc, for the LF camera. For instance, I'm often times walking around the subject with the camera up to my eye. Obviously that's out. Are you lifting the camera up on the tripod and moving it while looking through the ground glass?

Thanks
Paul

sully75
23-Mar-2010, 11:57
PS I know the "how to get the subject to relax" thread is similar but I'm more interested in the technical aspects of how to set up the shot.

Frank Petronio
23-Mar-2010, 12:21
I bounce between the two but they are very different ways of working. You can warm up with the digital and get your approximate framing done with it - usually you need to have an inkling of premeditation before deciding what/how to make your photo. A lot of it comes from milage, like you just have to start and mess up a few times.

A handheld rangefinder 4x5, like a Crown Graphic, will work but you need good light and cooperative subjects. Don't start with fidgety kids! But nowadays I try to do everything from a tripod w ground glass focusing -- it is more controlled, I get more consistent outcomes.

I figure I need someone who can hold their position in the plane of focus for at least 30 seconds to get precise focus on the ground glass, setting the shutter, and making the exposure. Most willing adults and teens can do this when they want to, but it takes their attention to do it, which is why you see so many stiff awkward pictures.

Robert Hughes
26-Mar-2010, 12:44
...usually end up taking 50 or so pictures.

Is there a standard guide/book about using the large format camera for taking portraits?

Yeah, load both sides of a film holder. That way, if your first picture doesn't turn out the way you like it, you can take another. :p

William McEwen
28-Mar-2010, 11:24
You'll learn to approximate what you want with your eyes, then put the camera there.

I move the camera more than I move the person.