PDA

View Full Version : Ironbridge - West Midlands UK

IanG
18-Mar-2010, 13:08
A few Worcestershire/Shropshire/Birmingham based LF users are getting together in Ironbridge, Telford on Sunday the 28th of March.

The area's very varied so there's plenty to shoot, I know the area reasonably but we may be joined by a local LF resident. All welcome, there's at least couple of excellent reasonably priced places for lunch or an evening meal and there's an extra hour of light as it's the first day of British Summer Time.

It's bring a camera, and if you want to bring a few prints, but lets say six MAX.

If interested please PM.

Ian

John Orrells
19-Mar-2010, 08:58
See you there, will be nice to meet other LF'ers
John

IanG
19-Mar-2010, 09:27
5 confirmed so far John, and I've just packed the 90mm f6,8 Angulon I use here (Turkey) on my Crown Graphic so you can give it a try.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/Uploads/ironbridge.jpg

OK not strictly LF but a 6x17 shot of the Iron Bridge

Ian

Lachlan 717
20-Mar-2010, 04:13
5 confirmed so far John, and I've just packed the 90mm f6,8 Angulon I use here (Turkey) on my Crown Graphic so you can give it a try.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/Uploads/ironbridge.jpg

OK not strictly LF but a 6x17 shot of the Iron Bridge

Ian

Nice shot, Ian.

Makes me wish that I wasn't flying out of the UK tomorrow night...

Hope that you have a great day!

Keith Tapscott.
20-Mar-2010, 04:24
I would like go there Ian, but unfortunately, I will be at a Wedding that particular weekend. :(

Steven Tribe
20-Mar-2010, 05:15
For non-UK readers, the iron bridge at Ironbridge is the first structural use of cast iron anywhere and was built in the summer of 1779.

Patrick Dixon
21-Mar-2010, 10:08
It's the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.

IanG
22-Mar-2010, 05:54
For non-UK readers, the iron bridge at Ironbridge is the first structural use of cast iron anywhere and was built in the summer of 1779.

Only problem is that's a century after the Foley's Iron works which were very extensive across North Worcester Shire, Staffordshire, the Forest of Dean and Kent :D

The Ironbridge Gorge suffered transport problems it was very late with canals & railways and depended on the river which became unnavigable, the consequence was abandonment of areas which haven't been redeveloped since.

This is great from a photographic point of view as there's still much of interest left.
(I'm an Industrial Archaeologist as well as photographer).

Ian

Steven Tribe
22-Mar-2010, 11:18
Perhaps, "Still existing" would have saved my sentence! Only quoting from an, apparently, believable write-up which included details of the contruction method and a repeat exercise from bi-centenial 1979. It is probably cast steel rather than cast iron anyway! Pity the "Crystal Palace" has gone - but there must be other examples of Paxton's work around somewhere?

Patrick Dixon
22-Mar-2010, 14:33
AFAIK, there were older works making wrought iron, but Ironbridge (Coalbrookdale) was where iron was first smelted using blast furnaces. The Ironbridge is definitely iron, and was the world's first.

Ironbridge is a World Heritage Site.

Steven Tribe
22-Mar-2010, 14:54
This is fun! Blast furnaces reduce the carbon content in pig iron - producing eventually steel. But perhaps someone could take a sample from the bridge so we could get the carbon content checked?

IanG
23-Mar-2010, 06:52
AFAIK, there were older works making wrought iron, but Ironbridge (Coalbrookdale) was where iron was first smelted using blast furnaces. The Ironbridge is definitely iron, and was the world's first.

Ironbridge is a World Heritage Site.

Over 2,000 years out :D the first Blast Furnaces where in the 5thC BC.

The Coalbrookdale Works was supposedly the first Blast Furnace to use Coal (coke) rather than Charcoal which meant production could be greatly increased as charcoal was often in short supply as furnaces used large quantities.

In fact Coal had been in use a century before in Blast furnaces but not in large quantities, and there are direct family and employee connections between the earlier companies and Abraham Darby. I studied Industrial Archeology with one of the founders of the Iron Bridge Gorge Museum Trust and spent a few weeks at the Ironbridge Institute.

Ian

Pete Watkins
23-Mar-2010, 15:36
Just to throw a bit of chaos into all this. An old Black Countryman told me in the pub one night that a bloke named Dud Dudley first invented a method of smelting iron using coal instead of charcoal but the charcoal burners chased him out of town (God only knows which town) and the technology was forgotten until Abraham Darby re-invented it. Great story, nice pub and good English ale.
Pete.

IanG
24-Mar-2010, 05:01
Just to throw a bit of chaos into all this. An old Black Countryman told me in the pub one night that a bloke named Dud Dudley first invented a method of smelting iron using coal instead of charcoal but the charcoal burners chased him out of town (God only knows which town) and the technology was forgotten until Abraham Darby re-invented it. Great story, nice pub and good English ale.
Pete.

9:30am Saturday 28th, Pete and any others who want to join us, Old Station car park which is at the Ironbridge corner of Ladywood Road, eastern side of the River. Drive south through Ironbridge village itself stay by the river to the New Bridge and double back to the car park (maybe 2 miles).

Dud Dudley did indeed invent the method of smelting iron with coal (http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/agenoria/research/dud_dudley/dud_dudley.htm), and in the Foley's Stour Valley Ironworks (http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/agenoria/research/foleys.htm) account for 1665-70 there's purchases of Pitcole Iron from his former works.

Ian

Pete Watkins
24-Mar-2010, 05:33
Ian,
Sundays the 28th. I'm at Statfold Barn Railway on Saturday. I'm sure that you mean Sunday but I'm easily confused at my age.
Help.
At least my old mate wasn't totally in fantasy land when he mentioned Dud Dudley.
Hope to see you on SUNDAY????
Pete.

John Orrells
27-Mar-2010, 14:39
see you all tomorrow (sunday)
John

John Orrells
28-Mar-2010, 11:13
cheers all for an interesting day!
John

Pete Watkins
28-Mar-2010, 12:21
Thanks to everyone, especially Ian. I really enjoyed it.
Best wishes,
Pete.