PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacles Natl Mon wildflowers

Ivan J. Eberle
17-Mar-2010, 11:13
Anyone been there in the last week or so?

Ivan J. Eberle
17-Mar-2010, 13:53
Well, I'm going now. It's a balmy 80˚ there.

Vaughn
17-Mar-2010, 13:56
At least you are relatively close! West side or east side?

Ivan J. Eberle
18-Mar-2010, 06:09
West, it's ~2 hours from me.

The flowers aren't yet putting on a spectacular display, but everything's Kelly Green. (Great day to visit ydty).

Johnny Jump-ups and Shooting Stars are out in some numbers. It'll probably be a couple of weeks yet until they're at peak.

Note to self: buy a 75mm or wider lens (or bring the Nikon loaded with Ektar and an 17mm-35mm).

90mm on 4x5 suddenly doesn't seem so wide anymore.

Ivan J. Eberle
25-Mar-2010, 12:20
Went again yesterday. Indian Paintbrush, Yellow Primrose, and California Poppies are coming on, and the Shooting Stars are still profuse. Probably peak in another week.

Drew Wiley
25-Mar-2010, 18:58
Where the wildflowers are getting spectacular is on the other side of the state, namely the lower Sierra foothills. There's an impressive poppy bloom in the lower Kings River, but whether it will match last year's "once-in-a-lifetime" bloom remains to be seen. I'll know in a couple of days. Similar weather conditions (El Nino), which causes the early and mid-Spring flowers to pop up all at once due to the delayed
warm weather. Redbud should be starting up by now too.

SamReeves
29-Mar-2010, 09:35
I'm hearing Highway 25 might have a bunch of flowers south of Tres Pinos. It might be worth checking out this week.

Ivan J. Eberle
7-Apr-2010, 06:17
East side two days ago: deciduous oaks have very bright green leaves this week. Storm dropped 7/10" rain on Monday, and the lichens looked hydrated. Wildflowers are really coming on: Chia and Indian Paintbrush, Fiddleneck and more. Fields along Hwy 25 and East 146 have bush lupine that's profuse.

Ivan J. Eberle
27-Apr-2010, 08:43
We've been getting periodic late storms so the wildflowers, ferns, moss and lichens are really holding up nicely. Grass is still green. Stonecrop in the hanging gardens off the rock faces along Balconies trail the is blooming and pretty spectacular.