PDA

View Full Version : Canham 45's screen

Songyun
13-Mar-2010, 15:15
Does anyone know what was the screen on Canham 45 metal camera? I remember it has two piece with the back one as cover glass. Is it maxwell's glass or made by other company?

Gem Singer
13-Mar-2010, 15:29
Keith Canham told me that all of his Fresnels are made by the same people who make them for Maxwell.

You can call him on his cell phone and ask him directly: 480-250-3990.

jmcd
13-Mar-2010, 15:41
The screen on the DLC is plastic with fresnel on one side and frosted on the other, protected by a cover glass.

If that doesn't suit you that pair can be removed—the camera is designed so that a regular ground glass will also register properly.

Songyun
13-Mar-2010, 15:47
Keith Canham told me that all of his Fresnels are made by the same people who make them for Maxwell.

You can call him on his cell phone and ask him directly: 480-250-3990.

Thanks!

Kevin M Bourque
14-Mar-2010, 10:15
In speaking to Bill Maxwell, he implied (although did not state directly) that he supplied the screens for Canham. They're darn good, where ever they come from.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
14-Mar-2010, 10:29
This may be relatively recent, since the Fresnel which came with my older Canham, one of Keith's original run, was awful with all sorts of weird focus shift. I pulled it out, but if the new ones are better I would love to replace it!

Kevin Crisp
14-Mar-2010, 12:14
What a coincidence, I was talking with Bill Maxwell last Thursday. And I did ask this question, since the Canham set up looks identical to the Maxwell ones. He didn't confirm it, but changed the subject a little and did suggest that there would be no improvement in changing out a Canham screen. I had tried that question once a couple years ago and he only said the Canham was a fine screen and I wouldn't see an improvement with his lower level screen.

I was ordering Bill's mid-level screen for a Graflok back (costs more than the Crown Graphic) in hopes that I actually can use just the pop up hood on trips.