PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Cutplate Tank Film Holders?

ARCHIVIST
12-Mar-2010, 16:53
I am using Johson Cutplate tanks to process my 4x5 - have done for over 25 years.

To process 4x5 you must put the film into a metal frame holder that sits into the tank - six per tank, but I generally only process four sheets at atime.

Recently I was given two more of these tanks but with no holders.

Would any of you have some of the original Johnson 4x5 holders for the Cutpalte tank that you would be willing to sell? In fact incomplete tanks / parts would also be welcome.

Regards
Peter

IanG
14-Mar-2010, 06:45
Is that the Johnson tank sort of long/rectangular with a round filling hole at the one end, and with adjustable film holders - up to 5x4 ?

If so I can look out for you when I go to a large camera fair next month.

Ian

Steven Tribe
14-Mar-2010, 07:52
While you are there Ian - could you look out for the Nebro ditto? It might be the same as the Johnson design - but it has rounded ends. Made for glass plates - but the instruction booklet says " for 4x5 film insert the adaptor in the slots". I have success with tubes but it would be nice to have bulk development possibilities once in a while. I thought camera fairs were a thing of the past - is there a yearly schedule posted anywhere?

IanG
14-Mar-2010, 08:17
Steven, somewhere I have some Neville Brown adverts I'll check what they look like :D

Ian

IanG
16-Mar-2010, 04:25
In fact incomplete tanks / parts would also be welcome.

Regards
Peter

There's one here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-JOHNSON-NEBRO-CUTPLATE-DEVELOPING-TANK-5X4_W0QQitemZ190379204897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM?hash=item2c537c2121)

Ian

ARCHIVIST
16-Mar-2010, 12:46
Is that the Johnson tank sort of long/rectangular with a round filling hole at the one end, and with adjustable film holders - up to 5x4 ?

If so I can look out for you when I go to a large camera fair next month.

Ian

Yes, that is the one.
Thank you Ian that would be great - very much appreciated.
They are generally worth about US10 per box. From memory there should be six in a box.
But even just one would help.
Identifying them as the correct Johnson out of their box is the problem though.

Regards
Peter

ARCHIVIST
16-Mar-2010, 12:53
Sorry Ian, forgot to say thanks for the link to the auction.
I was watching that one but as soon as one appears with its box the price doubles - must be the pure collector mind set.
I am sure that these 'must be boxed' collectors throw the item away and just keep the box.

Regards
Peter

Steven Tribe
17-Mar-2010, 06:11
Well actually I bought it for the contents rather than the box! This was something of a mistake on my part! I'll explain:

I have had a Nebro/Johnson for a very long time! Mostly because it has the extra 9x12 cm posibility. This too, was complete with box and instructions (never used).
I was convinced that there was something missing - an adaptor for cut film. So it has been stored away and I have continued with Ilfochrome drum development. Your original mail reconfirmed my belief that something was missing - which is why I was active yesterday. I have re-read the instructions, turned over the two bakelite end pieces - and discovered that the six curved grooves for cut film are on the reverse side of the two end plates!!!
OK I can probably use two of these tanks. Do you have the instructions and the relevant pages that show the cut film guides? I could post?

Steven Tribe
17-Mar-2010, 07:00
Update. I enclose the parts in a nebro/johnson adjustable plate/sheet developer from the original instructions. The wavy lines holders system do not work with 4x5 and 9x12 - which gives the original posting a lot of sense. The metal holders are illustrated as item 12. Whether these were included in the original box is very doubtful - probably an accessory. There were two sizes corresponding to 4x5 and 9x12.

ARCHIVIST
19-Mar-2010, 02:04
Update. I enclose the parts in a nebro/johnson adjustable plate/sheet developer from the original instructions. The wavy lines holders system do not work with 4x5 and 9x12 - which gives the original posting a lot of sense. The metal holders are illustrated as item 12. Whether these were included in the original box is very doubtful - probably an accessory. There were two sizes corresponding to 4x5 and 9x12.

Now you know why I am looking for more 4x5 metal film holders.

The curved grooves are only good for smaller format film such as 21/4 x 31/4 which can be loaded with the long side in the grooves.

The metal holders were sold separately. This was due to the tank being multi format. The frames would not be of use for someone with 6x9 sheets for example.

I understand that they were sold in boxes of six but when I've found a box of them it usually only contains five???????????

Regards
Peter

IanG
19-Mar-2010, 02:28
Peter, now I know what they look like I'll keep an eye out for them when I visit the Wolverhampton camera fair next month.

Ian

Steven Tribe
19-Mar-2010, 03:48
Having fiddled with my nebro set for some time, I am not convinced that the wavy grooves system couldn't be made to work with the larger sheet film. I think that loading the separate holders sounds like a tiresome activity. I will try to alter the position of the ridge which is on the 2 end slot pieces in bakelite so the slack between the end pieces is about 1mm. The present design means that 4x5 sheets can just fall out. The present ridge needs to ground away and 2 stainless screw set in on both sides - only one end piece needs to be changed. I'll report back when I have tried out the system to see if the sheets stay put during operation. If not, the screws can be moved back to the original position.

ARCHIVIST
19-Mar-2010, 21:29
I find I can load six metal film holders for the Johnson tank in about 90 to 120 seconds.