PDA

View Full Version : Tripod & Head for International Travel with Field 4x5

JJJetel
12-Mar-2010, 16:33
Well, I know I'm going to get a collective groan here.

However, any responses I could get would be amazing.

The situation is as follows - Trip to Ireland for roughly 2 weeks. Going to be hiking, climbing, in water, in the air, etc.

I've a Toyo 45A. I was looking for rugged, stable, but still portable.
I'll probably have just a 150 Schneider and a 300 Caltar.

So I'm looking for some sticks that are quick, light-ish, and can take a beating + time in the water.
The head, I'm not as sure about, I've been using a 3039 and find it alright. But it is time for an upgrade.

Any other suggestions as to backpacks and tripod carrying accessories would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all are well,

Thanks in advance.
-JJ

JJJetel
12-Mar-2010, 16:34
Also, I'm thinking around 20 holders and the ever useful CE Changing tent.

jeroldharter
12-Mar-2010, 17:50
This one is easy: a Feisol 3443 tripod (2.3 lbs) plus a ball head.

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-tournament-class-foursection-tripod-ct3442-with-tripod-p-31.html

I use an Arca Swiss Z1 ball head:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469077-REG/Arca_Swiss_801103_Monoball_Z1_sp_with.html

The tripod legs can be inverted 180 degrees so that the ball head nests inside the legs for protection and compactness when travelling. The whole setup will weigh less than your camera and is more than enough to support a Toyo 4x5 and 300mm lens. If you really want to save some weight, you might substitute a Nikkor 300M for the Caltar also.

JJJetel
12-Mar-2010, 18:07
The Feisol looks great, I would have never known... I'm thinking the center column isn't too bad an idea either.
As for the head, I feel like I might be too anal retentive for a ball head. I was looking at the manfrotto 410. But hey I'm easily persuaded.

Thank you so much Jerold!

Robert Skeoch
12-Mar-2010, 18:17
I would take a Berlebach 8023. It folds up small for flying but give you plenty of height because of the three leg sections plus centre column. For a head I would go with the Gitzo GH2780with quick release. I would also buy a plate with the 3/8 thread for a bit more support.

You can't go wrong with this combo.

Rakesh Malik
14-Mar-2010, 21:21
I got one of the Feisols from Really Big Cameras over the summer, and it's now my main tripod -- I no longer carry my Gitzo on longer hikes due to weight. The Feisol's been with me on some pretty tough trips, and it's also had its feet in the water a number of times, and so far the only thing that's gone wrong is that I lost one of the pads covering a foot (which now that I'm thinking about it, I should ask Kerry about replacing :)).

I use it with a Really Right Stuff BH-40; the only downside to this setup is that the BH-40 is just wide enough that the legs can't fold around it, so I can't take advantage of the 180 leg flip without removing the ballhead. This hasn't been a limitation for me so far. The only limitation I've experienced is that with the standard center column, the tripod doesn't get very low. I'm planning to get one of the short center columns to rectify that, and possibly also one of the rotating adapters. The center column is also pretty robust, it looks to be close to the same diameter as the legs, and telescopes so that it offers a surprising amount of height. Though I wouldn't use it that way in windy conditions, I wouldn't hesitate to use it that way if I needed the height and I could keep the setup out of the wind. (I'd probably also hang my backpack on it, it comes with a hook for that purpose.)

His reputation is such that this is probably redundant, but if you call or e-mail him, Kerry will answer your questions and make sure you get the right tripod. The one I got is a 4-section traveller type.

Bill_1856
14-Mar-2010, 21:39
The Tiltall weighs 6# with head. Frequently on ebay for less than $100 (get a used one made by Leitz, not a new Chinese one).

jp
15-Mar-2010, 14:10
I like the tiltall too. I have an old Leitz one. I use it with my 4x5 speed graphic and 300mm 2.8 DSLR under all conditions.

http://www.f64.nu/photo/tmp/tripod.jpg

The new ones aren't bad. A friend has one. You can get them new for $100 with a carrying bag. The new ones convert into a monopod as well.

JJJetel
15-Mar-2010, 14:25
You folks really sold me on the Feisol.
I emailed Kerry over the weekend and we worked it out.
He was just as described, quite helpful.

Feisol CT-3442
+ Center Column (I'm 6'3)

For the head I'm still thinking the Manfrotto 410.
I'll deal with the weight and inability to utilize the legs folding up.
Just waiting for the right Ebay auction.

Thank you so much for the suggestions everybody!

Matus Kalisky
17-Mar-2010, 03:20
I got the Feisol Tournament (4 section legs) for exactly this reason - and indeed I had no problem flying to New Zealand in 2009 and back keeping it in my carry-on luggage. I only removed the head (not to bother the security guys on airports) - I got not a single question about the tripod.

I got also the center column, but try to minimize the usage (and leave it home often) as of course it has impact on the overall stability of the setup once extended more than a few inches (which is to be expected). I had a look - it seems that anti-rotation legs are just coming out - what is a nice option to have.

I got the screw-on spikes - very practical outside on stones or slippery surfaces.

For the head I got the Photo Clam PC33NS (both from reallybigcameras.com - Kerry was VERY helpful with my choice, we exchanged quite some emails before I finally decided) and it holds my Tachi 4x5 just perfectly while being incredibly light and reasonably well made. The quick release system could hardly be better - used it from DSLR up to 4x5 with 400mm tele lens. Kirk or RSS may have the edge, but it is hard to beat the Photo Clam for the price.

Ed Richards
17-Mar-2010, 06:58
If you just want to level the camera, get a Gitzo CF leveling tripod and skip the head. The legs appear to be sealed, so you could put the lower section in water. Since I got this, I have only used the movements on my 3-way head when I wanted to shoot a ceiling. I think it will give up to 15 degrees of tilt on the column, which would let you point the camera off axis.

Aahx
17-Mar-2010, 10:04
With my Feisol 3472 (with center column removed), I use either my Photoclam Multiflex head (copy of Arca Cube), or when weight is really a concern I put on my Acratech GV-2 ball head. I went with the 3472 for the extra height while still maintaining the stability from not using a center column. The 3472 with the GV-2 is a very light combo, though the Multiflex is a joy to use when I don't mind the added weight (day trips).

Frank Petronio
17-Mar-2010, 10:09
Of course the other tactic is to forgo the nicer CF tripods and just buy $100 used metal Leitz Tiltalls and #2 and #3 series metal Gitzos on eBay. I wouldn't call them disposable, they are solid, quality tools, but if one should get lost, damaged, or stolen then no great loss.

You could even send one on ahead to your destination and sell, trade, or donate it you leave.

Lenny Eiger
18-Mar-2010, 10:29
I have a 4 leg section carbon fiber Gitzo I am trying to sell. I used it with my Ebony, which is a similar weight to your camera.... That would be the ultimate for me.... I got another one just like it that's only a three leg section.

I also have a NovoFlex Classic 5 BallHead that's beautiful. A little pricey, but the machining is exquisite...

Lenny