PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Shropshire uk & a question

John Orrells
12-Mar-2010, 11:05
Hello to everyone in the LF community. My name is John and I am In Shropshire uk. Im Active with 35mm, digital, MF (67) I have been thinking the next step would be LF, not wanting to spend too much on my first camera I have obtained a Crown Graphic. My original idea was to use Fuji Quickloads and send to the lab for processing. As it looks like Fuji have or about to discontinued Quickloads I will have to use standard darkslides. My problem now is it practical to get straight sheet film lab processed, if so what do you put the film in to post it.

Vick Vickery
12-Mar-2010, 11:19
Welcome to group therepy, John! Your question comes up periodically around here and is pretty easily answered: Yes, you can get it processed and the best way to take it to the lab is to get an empty film box somewhere (from your lab???) to put the exposed film in. Be sure to ask the lab to return your box also. Most of the folks around here who shoot B&W process it themselves, but there are still plenty of labs on this side of the pond that will handle sheet film, expecially color. If your favorite lab (or whichever one you find to do sheet processing) can't supply you with a couple of empty film boxes, there are light-tight emvelopes sold by the retail/mail order stores that will do the job; or maybe one of the other folks from the UK who posts here could be talked into giving you a box if you ask nicely! :)

Sevo
12-Mar-2010, 11:19
Easy, just put it back in the original boxes. If you are short on empty boxes to start with, ask the lab - they'll have plenty to give away (if they have not, they are not the proper choice to have sheet film processed).

Sevo

Pete Watkins
12-Mar-2010, 12:09
John,
For B&W you're best developing the film yourself. Patterson Orbitals are Gods gift to 4x5 & 5x7 users (this includes 1/2 plate). Only one sheet of 8x10 at a time though.
For colour I use Palm Laboratory in darkest Birmingham. www.palmlabs.co.uk
L.F on a budget is a compromise but totally possible and a wonderful challenge, I love it.
Best wishes,
Pet

Paul O
12-Mar-2010, 14:46
Hi John
You might want to check out our UK-based forum too - www.lf-photo.org.uk

John Orrells
13-Mar-2010, 11:36
Thank you everyone for your replies, very useful.

Steven Tribe
13-Mar-2010, 12:07
Perhaps you could do some shots of the iron bridge at .... Ironbridge, as a starter!
From when UK technology ruled the world (before my time).

Patrick Dixon
13-Mar-2010, 12:10
For C41/E6 processing I use either Peak Imaging or Genie Imaging. For B&W I process myself in a Patterson Orbital 1-4 sheets at a time.

I'm happy to post you an empty 4x5 box and some duff sheets to practice with if you'd like, or I'll be in Shrewsbury in a couple of weeks if you want to collect.

Dominique Cesari
13-Mar-2010, 13:15
All friends round the Wrekin !

John Orrells
13-Mar-2010, 15:46
Perhaps you could do some shots of the iron bridge at .... Ironbridge, as a starter!
From when UK technology ruled the world (before my time).

When I get my act together I will take a picture of the bridge just for you :)

John Orrells
13-Mar-2010, 15:50
For C41/E6 processing I use either Peak Imaging or Genie Imaging. For B&W I process myself in a Patterson Orbital 1-4 sheets at a time.

I'm happy to post you an empty 4x5 box and some duff sheets to practice with if you'd like, or I'll be in Shrewsbury in a couple of weeks if you want to collect.

That would be brilliant, perhaps nearer to your trip we could make arrangement to meet,
thanks!

Pete Watkins
13-Mar-2010, 16:32
Steven,
British lens technology still rules the world. The name to look for is Cooke.
John, Palm Labs in Brum are superb for colour neg and E6.
Pete.

IanG
14-Mar-2010, 09:46
John, I have a pack of 5x4 B&W film you can have, and there's a few LF users meeting up sometime soon and I was going to suggest going to Ironbridge, no dates been set yet, I only booked a flight to the UK (next Saturday) yesterday.

We haven't set a date yet but we are North Worcestershire/Birmingham based, and maybe one from Telford.

I can give you some tips etc on the quirks of Crown (& Speed) Graphics I have 3 :D

Ian

John Orrells
14-Mar-2010, 11:27
John, I have a pack of 5x4 B&W film you can have, and there's a few LF users meeting up sometime soon and I was going to suggest going to Ironbridge, no dates been set yet, I only booked a flight to the UK (next Saturday) yesterday.

We haven't set a date yet but we are North Worcestershire/Birmingham based, and maybe one from Telford.

I can give you some tips etc on the quirks of Crown (& Speed) Graphics I have 3 :D

Ian

sounds great, thank you Ian, please keep me updated.
John

IanG
15-Mar-2010, 13:49
I've been asked if we can meet a week before Easter, weather permitted taht mighy be better avoid the masses

Let me know which day Sat or Sun is best for you

Thanks

Ians

John Orrells
16-Mar-2010, 05:56
Weekend after next, don't mind either day, if I had to choose, Sunday
John