PDA

View Full Version : Microtek ArtixScan 1800f scanner

Mike Anderson
12-Mar-2010, 10:41
I'm going to look at a Microtek ArtixScan 1800f ($150). I see 5 year old posts here that are generally positive about this scanner. Epson 4990s are going for $200-300 on ebay +shipping, and locally available scanners in this range are pretty few and far between.

I'm wondering if anyone is still using an 1800f, wondering how they hold up after 5 or 10 years. Obviously, if it breaks it won't be worth fixing, but if I can get a couple more years out it I think it's worth it.

edit add: I use a Mac with OS X 10.4.11 and it looks like the drivers for I'd need are still available from Microtek.

...Mike

Preston
12-Mar-2010, 11:07
Mike,

I have an 1800f using Windoze. I've had mine for about 6 years. It continues to be trouble-free. I use Silverfast AI for my scanning software. Scan Wizard-Pro (the Microtek software) is pretty good. I used Vue Scan some time ago. It worked fine. but I just didn't like the interface.

If you buy it, be absolutely sure to unlock the scan head before you fire it up.

--P

Dave Aharonian
12-Mar-2010, 11:40
I'm with Preston - I still use my 5-6 year old 1800f. My only complaint is occasional streaks on my scans but that seems to be from dust on the pre-scan portion of the neg. carrier. If it works properly I thing its a steal for $150. I use the same Mac OS as you and it make great scans of 4x5 and 5x7 negs.

Dave

Lei Meng
12-Mar-2010, 13:44
Me too with a problem-free 5-6 year 1800f. I have scanned hundreds of 120, 4x5 and 8x10 chromes.

recently I upgrade my computer to MAC OS 10.5. I was able to download compatible driver from Microtek website. Too bad I can't upgrade free with Silverfast so I'm using Microtek's own ScanWizard software, works fine.

Mike Anderson
12-Mar-2010, 14:41
Thanks for the response everyone. Looks like it's a go.

...Mike

Eric Brody
12-Mar-2010, 16:51
I'd recommend giving it a try or having a return policy for at least long enough to run a few scans. I've had mine since 8/06. It is not often used these days as I do very little work with my 4x5. I have had some streaking occasionally but overall it has worked well. The late Ted Harris recommended it to me then as the best 4x5 scanner short of an Imacon, and better than the Epsons of the time, (4990, I believe). I have never tested it against an Epson of any vintage so cannot comment. Microtek no longer has a presence in the US market, if that's where you are, so if it dies, it's gone. For the price, it's certainly worth a careful look.

Good luck.

Eric

Eric Brody
12-Mar-2010, 17:09
I use it with Silverfast, I cannot recall the version, and Mac OX 10.5, no problems.

Eric

gainer
12-Mar-2010, 17:33
The image quality of the 1800f was decent for the price, but if the scanner you are buying was used in a studio or production environment I'd steer clear of it. The internal components aren't built for high-volume scanning, and even when Microtek was still in business they wouldn't sell parts -- you had to send in your equipment for repairs. I had three of these scanners fail because of mechanical problems a few years ago, and it was the same part every time.

If you do get it, I'd echo Eric's suggestion to use Silverfast.

Mike Anderson
12-Mar-2010, 18:48

If you do get it, I'd echo Eric's suggestion to use Silverfast.

I just went to the Silverfast website and it looks like it cost $398 for the basic version?! If that's correct I think I'll try VueScan ($40 - $80) first.

...Mike

gainer
12-Mar-2010, 20:12
The basic version should have come with the scanner...you might ask the person you bought it from if they still have it.

Mike Anderson
12-Mar-2010, 20:23
The basic version should have come with the scanner...you might ask the person you bought it from if they still have it.

I will check, Thanks.

...Mike

mdd99
16-Apr-2010, 15:57
I've had the 1800f for about 6 years. It now whines a bit when I do a lot of scans, but the performance is superb. I'd avoid Vue Scan. Had nothing but trouble with it. I also use Silverfast AI, and Scan Wizard-Pro (the Microtek software) is decent.

77seriesiii
20-Apr-2010, 09:49
I've had mine since '03 or '04 and if you had asked about 12 weeks ago it would have been, "trouble free", it just died. While we had it and used it, worked like a champ. When it died, it went fast. Essentially worked great on some 6x6 film scan and when I started the next load, it checked out.

I agree with the poster who stated ask the question on where it was used and how. If used in a photo lab...find another scanner. I enjoyed ours while it lasted but now have to find a new one.

./e

Mike Anderson
20-Apr-2010, 10:46
Well I got the scanner (a month ago actually) and it works fine so far. It came with Silverfast AI, but my Mac superdrive has a CD stuck in it so I can't install it (I can use the demo version I downloaded but I can't do a licensed install without sticking the disc in). In the meantime I'm getting by with the Microtek software.

All I need is a new superdrive, and of course more memory (I have 2 gig and I don't think that's enough to explore the limits of the scanner).

Thanks for the replies everyone!

...Mike