PDA

View Full Version : How did I scr*w up?

Dirk Rösler
11-Mar-2010, 23:39
Hi, need some help from experienced shooters.

Some 5x7 shots - most came out well, but these three are spoiled, apparently by the same mistake. I think I took them in succession, last of the day, so perhaps something in the setup had changed, but I can't figure out what. Perhaps the holder was not seated well? But why in three different shots the same problem? Also I noticed that a strip near the holder flap is not fogged - why?

On the way to enlightenment... thanks!

Kirk Fry
11-Mar-2010, 23:50
Probably preyed the film holder up when putting the dark slide back in. Just a theory.
KFry

Frank Petronio
12-Mar-2010, 01:50
I've never had the 5x7 Sinar back but on some of the others I think you can sometimes get it wedged oddly so that it felt like the holder was solidly in pace but perhaps you had a slight gap.

Ken Lee
12-Mar-2010, 04:39
What kind of camera ?

1) The film holder was not seated properly. (Always check).

2) The back opened when you inserted/removed the dark slide. (Hold it tightly closed whenever inserting removing film)

3) The bellows is not attached somewhere. (Take the camera into a dark room and put a light inside the camera)

Dirk Rösler
12-Mar-2010, 05:13
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4370868123_f9360ec923.jpg

Thanks guys. Some info: the camera is Sinar P back.

At insertion/removal of dark slide is unlikely, as the leakage would be on the opposite side, not the flap side I would say. Film holder not seated properly unlikely to make this mistake three times in a row in the last shots of the day and the leakage is uniform.

However I am now certain that these were the last three shots of the day. I have ten more from the day which are fine. So something must have dislocated when carrying the kit.

Bellows dislodged: this then must have happened on the left side of the back, but the film is exposed for all three shots in a similar way even though they spend different length of time with darkslide removed in the back. Also what would be the explanation for the strip of non-fogged image near the flap?

Sevo
12-Mar-2010, 06:23
Also what would be the explanation for the strip of non-fogged image near the flap?

That is the strongest indication for a loose bellows - it would be the shadow cast by the frame and back. It is rather easy to misattach the bellows on sinars - other than lenses or backs, which tend to drop to the ground and shatter if you are careless about attaching them, the bellows tension will hold it in place even if one side did not thread into the slot, especially if you are close to the short limits of the bellow. It is generally a smart idea to assemble the camera with stretched bellows.

Sevo

Diane Maher
12-Mar-2010, 06:26
My inclination is to say that perhaps you forgot to push your bail down or you pulled up the bail lever before you replaced the darkslide. I have done this before. :eek:

Dirk Rösler
12-Mar-2010, 06:39
Thanks again. Bellows might be it. I now realise that the images with the worst fogging had the left side facing the sun. The middle image with the least exposure was positioned the other way round, away from the sun. I cannot remember readjusting the bellows before those three exposures now though. Something must have happened while carrying the setup perhaps. I'll ha e a look at the bellows mechanics and see what I could have done wring when attaching.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ken Lee
12-Mar-2010, 06:50
Some of these Sinar P cameras have been around since 1970, and after 30 or 40 years, the bellows can pop loose if we aren't mindful. Mindfulness is a great help "on the way to enlightenment".

I always have to check my bellows, where it attaches to the Sinar Shutter. It's a bit prone to come loose when the bellows are over-extended.

By the way, I see you have a compendium shade on the front. I just got one, and love it. It doesn't weigh much at all: a refreshing change, in the world of Sinar equipment.

Great to see the P out in the field, where it belongs: "Sinar P - The Original Ultra-Light Field Camera"

Dirk Rösler
12-Mar-2010, 07:09
Thanks, Master Lee. I think my path is well laid out now. :) I have experienced bellows glitches before on Sinar so have to be more careful from now. Nothing like wasting $10 a shot, don't get that incentive with digital. ;)

It's actually only half P, front is F - a Basterd, but I have the front standard too now for the heavier guns.

The shade assembly is plain genius. I actually also carry a P 4x5 frame so when I need longer bellows I just couple them (without the bearer).

Ken Lee
12-Mar-2010, 07:40
You answered my question before I could ask it, Sensei !

I was wondering about the bellows, and how I could use it to get additional extension.

cdholden
12-Mar-2010, 08:06
Isn't the P/F hybrid also referrred to as a "C"? Or am I thinking of something else?

Brian Ellis
12-Mar-2010, 09:00
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4370868123_f9360ec923.jpg

Thanks guys. Some info: the camera is Sinar P back.

At insertion/removal of dark slide is unlikely, as the leakage would be on the opposite side, not the flap side I would say. Film holder not seated properly unlikely to make this mistake three times in a row in the last shots of the day and the leakage is uniform.

However I am now certain that these were the last three shots of the day. I have ten more from the day which are fine. So something must have dislocated when carrying the kit.

Bellows dislodged: this then must have happened on the left side of the back, but the film is exposed for all three shots in a similar way even though they spend different length of time with darkslide removed in the back. Also what would be the explanation for the strip of non-fogged image near the flap?

Did you by chance switch to the bag bellows for the last three shots? I had a bag bellows that was difficult to attach and when I didn't get it on exactly right I got effects like these.

Dirk Rösler
12-Mar-2010, 15:16
Did you by chance switch to the bag bellows for the last three shots? I had a bag bellows that was difficult to attach and when I didn't get it on exactly right I got effects like these.

I can't remember doing so, but we don't "record" these insignificant actions when out shooting, do we? :o