PDA

View Full Version : Super Angulon 90mm f8

Andrew Bennett
9-Mar-2010, 02:11
Hello everybody

I would very much welcome some advice. I have recently bought a Super Angulon 90mm f8 lens on ebay. It is marked 'Technika' and has the Linhof logo on the lens barrel. Unfortunately, the shutter is not working. The vendor is prepared to refund me but I was wondering whether it was worth trying to find an alternative shutter whilst keeping the front and rear sections of the lens. Were the lenses 'selected' by Linhof that much better than 'ordinary' Schneider lenses ? The serial number indicates the lens dates from the late '50s.

Thanks

Andrew Bennett

Peter K
9-Mar-2010, 02:30
Andrew, this Super Angulon 90mm is mounted in a Compur shutter size #00. This shutter is smaller as the Copal size #0 from today. But normaly with a CLA such a shutter should work fine again.

Linhof selected lenses where better but after more than fourty years something could happen with such a lens.

Peter

IanG
9-Mar-2010, 04:36
If it's the Compur 00 shutter I'd take the refund there's plenty of these lenses around in the better Compur or Copal 0, I have a 65mm f8 SA in that shutter and it's small & fiddly and just not as easy to use.

There's no preview lever, you need to set the shutter to B and use a locking cable release to set up & focus so it's slower to use.

Ian

Mike Anderson
9-Mar-2010, 09:06
If it's the Compur 00 shutter I'd take the refund there's plenty of these lenses around in the better Compur or Copal 0, I have a 65mm f8 SA in that shutter and it's small & fiddly and just not as easy to use.

There's no preview lever, you need to set the shutter to B and use a locking cable release to set up & focus so it's slower to use.

Ian

I agree, I have that lens/shutter and it's hard to use because of lack of preview and the somewhat big front element hides the little shutter. Also #00 lens boards are harder to find.

You can't replace that shutter with a larger newer one without an expensive adapter.

Send it back.

...Mike

shadowleaves
9-Mar-2010, 09:58
Just return the lens...doesn't worth the trouble. A modern SA 90/8 MC lens costs around $300 these days and the later copal 0 shutter is more convenient to use compared to ancient compur shutters.

Hello everybody

I would very much welcome some advice. I have recently bought a Super Angulon 90mm f8 lens on ebay. It is marked 'Technika' and has the Linhof logo on the lens barrel. Unfortunately, the shutter is not working. The vendor is prepared to refund me but I was wondering whether it was worth trying to find an alternative shutter whilst keeping the front and rear sections of the lens. Were the lenses 'selected' by Linhof that much better than 'ordinary' Schneider lenses ? The serial number indicates the lens dates from the late '50s.

Thanks

Andrew Bennett

Tom Monego
9-Mar-2010, 10:15
I agree with these shutters being small and fiddly, the bigger shutter would be nicer. But my Schneider/Linhof Super Angulon is a fantastic lens. Bought it with a Teknika IV and a 150 Apo Lanthar which isn't as good as the Schneider SA. With all f8 SA lenses (maybe all SA lenses) you almost need a center spot filter, lots of light fall off. But it is so sharp.

Tom

Andrew Bennett
9-Mar-2010, 10:50
Thanks to everyone who has replied. The general view seems to be-send it back !

I will plunge once more into the shadowy wonderland that is ebay.

Thanks again.

Andrew Bennett

venchka
9-Mar-2010, 11:27
Surely you can find a btter deal here.

IanG
9-Mar-2010, 11:58
Andrew, you don't say where you are but post a wanted advert here, Wayne's right, I've had some great bargains that way and even with shipping to the UK it was still very worthwhile, because US prices are far lower than the UK & rest of Europe.

Ian

Andrew Bennett
14-Mar-2010, 11:47
Thank you for the last two replies. I'm thinking about the next step.

Regards

Andrew Bennett