PDA

View Full Version : So much for digital...

adevoe
8-Mar-2010, 18:34
Hello!

I am thinking of making the plunge into large format photography. I'm looking to get my first set up (ideally a Sinar F1 or 2) and ditch my DSLR... well, not ditch it, but do some real film work. I miss film...

I am a student at the University of Wisconsin - Madison now, and will be transferring to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago next year on a partial scholarship for an undergraduate Fine Arts - Photography degree.

I have been watching the forums for a week or two now, and they have been incredibly helpful in narrowing my search for a set up! Thanks for posting all this info! I look forward to joining in...

Now... back to the search for my newest, and definitely largest (physically!) photography purchase yet.

-Alex DeVoe

Ron Marshall
8-Mar-2010, 18:43
Check out KEH Camera brokers, for a wide selection of used equipment. Badger Graphics for great prices on new and some used. Also the for sale section of this site.

adevoe
8-Mar-2010, 18:46
Thanks! I've been trolling ebay, craigslist, and every other commonly known used stuff source. Couple of near purchases so far. I'll have to check those out though...

Also,
Here is a link to the some of the work I have done so far...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexanderdevoe/

Vick Vickery
9-Mar-2010, 07:09
Welcome to group therepy! :) Don't mean to discourage anybody from taking up our addiction, but since you're about to go to a different school, you might want to check on your immediate equipment needs for the classes you'll be taking first...the LF camera could become low on your list of "Things I gotta have NOW!" No doubt a LF camera will be needed at the Art Institute at some point, though.

David Karp
9-Mar-2010, 07:22
If you do decide to purchase LF, also talk to Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange (mpex.com). In WI, you also have Badger Graphics, which is not too far from Madison.

Steve M Hostetter
9-Mar-2010, 09:29
Jack's camera has a nice Deardorff 4x5 special,,,, If were to have one LF camera it would prolly be the deardorff

adevoe
9-Mar-2010, 10:49
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have given some thought about what I may need while I am at Art Institute, and luckily they have a fairly well equipped free-to-students rental area. Studio lights, some digital gear, some LF film gear, and plenty of Medium format stuff is available, so I should be decently covered between what I have now and the tentative LF purchase I'm going to make. I have been mulling the LF plunge for about a year now, and think I am finally going to make the jump! I have some more Nikon D/SLR related purchases lined up for the future as well.. (the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 WILL find it's way into my camera bag...)

I think I found the Deardorff that you mentioned Steve... is there any specific reason that you recommend these? I do like to shoot architecture a lot, and my understanding is that I'm going to need a fair amount of back movements for that, no? Would a field camera offer these?

So far I have determined that I want a 90mm lens or maybe a little wider. I like to shoot wide. Eventually, I'll pick up a more normal lens as well, but I want to start with something a little wide. Probably going to need a bag bellows as well to allow sufficient movements, no? I LOVE the idea of lightweight, but flexibility of use is most important to me at this point, I think. What would fit the bill for this? Or easier yet for all of you, is there a thread that I could read through on this?

Jerry Flynn
9-Mar-2010, 11:21
adevoe,

The Deardorff was considered the top of the heap by many as far as wooden view cameras are concerned. The name certainly still has cachet. The company has been out of business for years, but the cameras are still good.

If you intend to shoot a lot of wide angle, be sure to look at cameras that have flexible enough bellows for you to use the rise, fall and shift you will want to use.

Monorails, such as the Sinars you mentioned, offer bag bellows for the purpose. With the exception of very short lenses, you can get away with a flat lensboard - much easier to use than some recessed boards I have encountered in my life.

On the other hand, there are field camaeras that offer flexible bellows, interchangable bellows and/or recessed lensboards.

Many, but not all, architectural photographers use monorails.

Lenny Eiger
9-Mar-2010, 13:48
I think I found the Deardorff that you mentioned Steve... is there any specific reason that you recommend these? I do like to shoot architecture a lot, and my understanding is that I'm going to need a fair amount of back movements for that, no? Would a field camera offer these?

So far I have determined that I want a 90mm lens or maybe a little wider. I like to shoot wide. Eventually, I'll pick up a more normal lens as well, but I want to start with something a little wide. Probably going to need a bag bellows as well to allow sufficient movements, no? I LOVE the idea of lightweight, but flexibility of use is most important to me at this point, I think. What would fit the bill for this? Or easier yet for all of you, is there a thread that I could read through on this?

Take a look at what Canham produces, they are fine works of art. Same for Ebony. Wista's have a paper bellows and weigh almost nothing but won't work as easily as those... A used Canham would be great. The other place to look is in the forum here. There is a lot of 4x5 gear being sold, whole kits at a discount and everything...

I wouldn't get a rail camera - but that's just me.

Good luck,

Lenny

adevoe
9-Mar-2010, 16:05
Unfortunately I can't get into the buy/sell section of the forums yet, because of the 30 day limit...

So, if I haven't bought something by that time, I will have to check that area out.

Steve M Hostetter
9-Mar-2010, 16:22
adavoe,

Jerry pretty much covered it except for the fact that the deardorff has a larger tapered bellows allowing for lens board shift instead of having to move the standard up and down.

Which in my personal use would come in handy when using the back slitter feature w/ wide angle lenses for panoramic format.. One of few if not the only LF cam that will do those.. I believe the deardorff 4x5 special is also a 5x7" camera and I believe you can get a bag bellows to fit.

Given all that I suppose it's one of the most versitile wood field cams around