PDA

View Full Version : DFW Large Format get together.

Gem Singer
8-Mar-2010, 16:53
The Dallas Ft. Worth Large Format Photography Group is planning a shoot this coming Saturday, March 13th.

We will meet at the Main Street Bakery, in Grapevine, at 8AM.

We will leave at 8:30AM and car caravan to the scene we are planning on shooting.

Everyone is invited.

Bring your camera and tripod.

There will be several experienced mentors available to help and advise beginners.

We will bring examples of both metal and wood flatbed folding cameras and monorail cameras. Formats range from 4x5 to 8x10.

If the weather does not cooperate, the shoot will be postponed until the following Saturday.

Hope to see you there.

(So that we can get an idea of the number of participants, please respond to this thread if you plan on attending).

Gem Singer
8-Mar-2010, 20:07
Thought I'd better bump this announcement before it got lost in the archives.

Anyone interested in attending?

anchored
8-Mar-2010, 20:52
I'll be there to assist in any way possible. Will have a 4x5 Linhof Master Technika available for anyone wishing learn about them. -Glenn-

Darren H
9-Mar-2010, 04:30
Sounds very interesting. Not sure if I can make it yet though, got to tweak the schedule. Can you tip your hand on location you will be photographing? If I do make it out on Saturday morning I'd be more likely to be on site photographing at dawn and not take time to eat when there is good light.

Gem Singer
9-Mar-2010, 05:26
Hi Darren,

We are meeting at the Main Street Bakery in Grapevine for the convenience of people who live near Dallas,
and only plan on spending half an hour there.

There are two outdoor locations in Ft. Worth that we believe are suitable for a beginner's shoot.

Cannot make the final location decision until we are able to determine what the weather conditions will be on Sat. morning.

Will keep you posted.

Gem Singer
9-Mar-2010, 06:23
This is a get together for beginners. People who are interested in learning about large format photography.

All photographers are welcome, but we expect the experienced people to be willing to mentor the newbies.

We plan on holding more advanced shoots in future weeks and months.

Bob McCarthy
9-Mar-2010, 07:09
Sounds very interesting. Not sure if I can make it yet though, got to tweak the schedule. Can you tip your hand on location you will be photographing? If I do make it out on Saturday morning I'd be more likely to be on site photographing at dawn and not take time to eat when there is good light.

I tend to agree about the light at the dawn patrol, but this is to introduce the craft to people w/o much large format experience. I think it's great of Gem to put this together.

We're shooting B&W so crack of dawn is not critical. You must be a color guy! I'm going to bring 2 cameras, a 4x5 Small sinar for Michael Kan to test his betterlight back with and my 8x10 so newbies can see what the view through a large groundglass looks like.

Hope there a decent turnout. You experienced folks are welcome to jump in and help. The motive is to introduce the public that has an interest in fine photography a window into how it's done and that a digital camera is not a requirement.

Besides what else do you have to do on saturday morning (you'd rather do honey-do's, eh).

bob

Darren H
9-Mar-2010, 08:28
We're shooting B&W so crack of dawn is not critical. You must be a color guy!
bob

Guilty as charged about being a color guy. :-)

But for fun, I think I still have a few Acros Quickloads left and I'll bring 'em along.

I have a couple of guys I'll try to bring with me.

brian mcweeney
9-Mar-2010, 08:36
I'll be there bright and early ...

harlekin
9-Mar-2010, 08:36
I plan to be there with my Crown Graphic. I've got my Polaroid 550 and a pack each of Fuji B&W and Color instant film to play with.

Darren H
9-Mar-2010, 08:37
Hi Darren,

We are meeting at the Main Street Bakery in Grapevine for the convenience of people who live near Dallas,
and only plan on spending half an hour there.

There are two outdoor locations in Ft. Worth that we believe are suitable for a beginner's shoot.

Cannot make the final location decision until we are able to determine what the weather conditions will be on Sat. morning.

Will keep you posted.

Please keep us posted about the location. Since I am on the west side of Fort Worth, I'd probably rather meet you there rather than drive to Grapevine and then turn around and go back.

I think I have a couple other folks who will tag along, Robert who was with me back in October and another guy who just bought a Cambo last week.

bigdog
9-Mar-2010, 12:02
Have y'all considered posting this on Texas Photo Forum? There have been some folks over there interested in going down to meet with Houston LF get togethers because they didn't know of any in DFW. :eek:

RmFrase
9-Mar-2010, 12:11
I'll be there also. Hopefully my T-Max film and new holders arrive by Friday. I just couldn't part selling my 4x5 after all and decided to switch over from the Quickloads to cut film.

Also, we will be bringing a few others. One of which just bought a 4x5 and one who is attempting to get one from a relative (who's not using it any more.)

I'll be there at about 6am'ish to have breakfast.

pandabob
9-Mar-2010, 14:00
Hello all, I'm new to the board here, but a friend and I are planning to be there. We were out at Trinity park shooting LF for the first time last week, so this is good timing.

I'll be shooting a pre-anniv. Speed Grafix with some Kodak film that expired in 1947.

In other words, I may be only making memories...

Gem Singer
9-Mar-2010, 14:56
We are considering changing the meet-up time and location from Grapevine to the Starbuck's in the old Montgomery Ward building in Ft.Worth at 9AM.

Both of our choices for shooting locations are located in Ft.Worth, and most of the responses are coming from Ft.Worth photogs.

We'll notify you if and when the change takes place and tell you the exact address of the Starbuck's.

If anyone needs to share the ride, please let me know. I will be driving hwy. 121 from Frisco.

My cell phone: 214-924-3223

Darren H
9-Mar-2010, 16:40
If y'all are coming to Fort Worth, then I'll be there for sure! And I'll meet you in Cowtown.

I know that Starbucks in the old Monkey Wards warehouse too.

Gem Singer
9-Mar-2010, 17:33
Hey David,

Just inform those guys that there is no need to travel down to Houston. They can check with this forum and join us here in DFW if they want.

Most that I have contacted are aware that there are LF shooters in Dallas but prefer to travel to Houston.

Bob McCarthy
10-Mar-2010, 06:41
FYI,

7th & Carroll St.
2600 West 7th Street
Ft. Worth, TX 76107
Phone: (817) 810-9214

Gem Singer
10-Mar-2010, 08:58
I started a new thread in order to bring everybody up to date.

There have been some major changes in the meet-up location.

See the latest (and we hope, final) arrangements on the new thread.

Feel free to join us for this Sat. morning shoot in Ft.Worth.