PDA

View Full Version : Who's mounted a Packard Shutter on a Sinar Lensboard?

Jay Decker
7-Mar-2010, 19:23
Been refurbing Packard Shutters and using them with classic 8x10 cameras, e.g., Kodak 2-D and Century studio cameras. They are simple, reliable, and it is satisfying to be able to repair them - in the same way it is to be able to work on a carburetor, rather than a EFI system that you can't effectively work on without a computer.

So, has anyone mounted a Packard Shutter to Sinar lens board, or does everyone buy the Sinar shutter? I would love to see photographs of your installation if you have done it.

Jay Decker
8-Mar-2010, 21:15
Thank you for sharing the link. Looks like someone used a four aluminum standoffs... simple is good.

wfwhitaker
8-Mar-2010, 21:53
How is mounting a Packard to a Sinar lensboard different than mounting one to a wooden lensboard? I'm not sure I understand the reason behind the original question.

Jay Decker
9-Mar-2010, 08:21
How is mounting a Packard to a Sinar lensboard different than mounting one to a wooden lensboard? I'm not sure I understand the reason behind the original question.

I should have left the word "lensboard" out of the thread title and replaced it with "camera", because your are right, you can do a relatively straight forward mounting of a Packard Shutter to Sinar lensboard. Though I don't think it is done all that often, because there a very nice the Sinar mechanical shutter is available and that can be installed in 30 seconds and works with multiple lenses.

What I was hoping to find was someone who had installed a Packard Shutter in the camera so that one shutter mounted in the camera would work what ever lens was mounted to the camera. I have two ideas to this, but I'm new to LF and would think that someone probably already has an elegant solution that I could learn from.