PDA

View Full Version : Which polaroid back for a crown graphic?

panchoskywalker
5-Mar-2010, 12:05
Hello, this is my first post on the website, I suscribed because I want to purchase a crown graphic for making portraits. so I'm looking on ebay....

Well I've read a lot of stuff about the polaroid back for this camera but as I'm a little bit stupid I still don't get to understand the whole thing:

There are polaroid backs and fuji backs, the fuji is much lighter and newer, the fuji takes FP-100c or FP 100c45, the FP-100c45 take bigger images(?) but is more expensive than the FP-100c....I feel I'm missing something, right?

Which back do I have to take?

IanG
5-Mar-2010, 13:00
Wait about two weeks and see what new films the "Impossible Project" launch, and what plans they announce.

Not all films are compatible with competitors backs, and then are the Instand images the end artwork or just an exposure/composition aid.

Ian

nonuniform
5-Mar-2010, 16:29
To the Fuji 4x5 polaroid film packs with the Crown Graphic, make sure you have one with a Graflok back, and then get yourself the Graphic Film Pack Adapter. I have one for my Crown Graphic and run the Fuji through all the time.

More info here:
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html

You do realize that you don't get the negative with the Fuji, right? Just the print.

I can't wait to see what happens with the Impossible Project.
http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

And also check out this:
http://new55project.blogspot.com/

Bill_1856
5-Mar-2010, 17:31
[QUOTE=nonuniform;566236]To the Fuji 4x5 polaroid film packs with the Crown Graphic, make sure you have one with a Graflok back, and then get yourself the Graphic Film Pack Adapter. I have one for my Crown Graphic and run the Fuji through all the time. QUOTE]

No, no, no, no! The Graphic Film Pack Adapter is for the old film packs which haven't been made for nearly 20 years.

Frank Petronio
5-Mar-2010, 18:11
FP-100c is ~ 3.25x4.25 inches and crops part of the 4x5 image but it useful for tests or you can learn to crop. It requires the dedicated Fuji holder or the old Polaroid 405 or many of the Polaroid holders made for medium format cameras.

The FP 100c45 is ~4x5 inches and costs approximately twice as much. It requires the dedicated Fuji holder or the old Polaroid 505.

Just search on the B&H Photo website to see the range of Fuji Instant Film and holders, which is limited but of high quality. The main issue that they don't make a 400 speed or a positive-negative type film.

Yes there may be some sort of reissue of older Polaroid films by the Impossible Project in Europe but you can be sure that they will be expensive! I'd figure on a Fuji Instant solution for now.

panchoskywalker
5-Mar-2010, 19:07
Hi, I'm aware that I would get only the print. I agree with Frank it's better to think about fuji solution as impossible project will launch polaroid with the purpose of making money...it's like the new beetle, remember?

Anyway, I won't get one before 2 weeks so I'll check impossible project anyway.

So with the fuji PA-45 I will get bigger instant film, color or BW.....but only 100 asa.

I'll get that one then.

Thanks.

iml
6-Mar-2010, 01:52
My understanding is that the Impossible Project will only be making integral film for the time being, not pack film.

For Fuji 5x4 pack film you need either a Polaroid 550 or a Fuji PA-45 holder, and a camera with a Graflok back.

panchoskywalker
6-Mar-2010, 06:49
What do u mean by integral film? I understand polaroids instant film has allways been sold as pack film....

Paul Kierstead
6-Mar-2010, 07:05
Just note that the 4x5 fuji materials are significantly more expensive then the 'regular' size (as is the holder).

Frank Petronio
6-Mar-2010, 07:25
Intergral films have the developing chemicals included in a pod -- thus the white bottom border on SX-70 and 600 prints -- that's the squished pod.

Thebes
6-Mar-2010, 08:34
Do the Fuji films transfer the same way the Polaroid stuff did? I did a series of emulsion transfers back in college and wonder how the Fuji materials compare.

iml
6-Mar-2010, 13:49
What do u mean by integral film? I understand polaroids instant film has allways been sold as pack film....

Pack film is peel apart film, integral film isn't. The Impossible Project is making 600 series integral film (for use in cameras like the SX-70). At some point in the future perhaps they will make larger format peel-apart pack film. Fuji instant film is all pack film, and is the only large format instant film in current production.

Sevo
6-Mar-2010, 14:02
Pack film is peel apart film, integral film isn't. The Impossible Project is making 600 series integral film (for use in cameras like the SX-70). At some point in the future perhaps they will make larger format peel-apart pack film.

Chances are somewhat slim given that pack and integral are so different that Polaroid did not make them in one factory - the Impossible Project took over the NL integral plant only, and it is rather unlikely that the integral comeback is such a huge gold mine that they can set up a new pack film factory from the profits.

Sevo

Frank Petronio
6-Mar-2010, 14:19
The best hope is that people will tell Fuji to make a good 400 ISO B&W.

I doubt they would make anything like a Type 55 but imagine if they did a modern version with 100 or 400 ISO film -- that would rock!

Dirk Rösler
6-Mar-2010, 15:39
So with the fuji PA-45 I will get bigger instant film, color or BW.....but only 100 asa.

100 only in colour. In black and white 100, 500 and 3000 speed film for the larger size, 100, 400 and 3000 for the baby size.