PDA

View Full Version : Current Favorite Matte Papers?

Peter De Smidt
23-Feb-2010, 09:58
So I finally have a printer that I can dedicate to a monochrome inkset. I'll be using MIS Eboni, LK, and LLK, along with HP PK, and a couple of dilutions of the later. I'm basing this off of one of Paul Roark's inksets. I'd like a paper with minimal or no OBAs, a decent dmax, a smooth surface, and a moderately robust, i.e. non-fragile, surface. The printer is an R2400. Thanks!

Tyler Boley
23-Feb-2010, 13:07
I'd recommend Premiere Art Generations Alise, there is a brightened and unbrightened version. and Canson Rag Photographique. Both are smooth, perform well, rival Photo Rag in all ways, and have slightly more robust surfaces...
Alise being the more economical.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/

Mike Anderson
23-Feb-2010, 14:13
I like InkjetArt Museum Digital. Smooth, warm, and fairly cheap. I don't know how I'd characterize the surface robustness.

...Mike

PViapiano
23-Feb-2010, 16:18
Tyler, I noticed the new Canson papers in the Damiel Smith catalog, as well as some Japanese papers for inkjet use.

Although, I'm mainly a darkroom printer I'm thinking od trying a sampler pack. There's an Arches and a BFK Rives inkjet-compatible paper, too.

Tyler Boley
23-Feb-2010, 17:34
sampler pack is a good way to go, I went through one. The inkjet coated Arches and BFK are very nice, also the Montval... I printed many samples for Glazers Camera on all mentioned but the Arches. Anyone in Seattle can walk in and check them out.
Tyler

Peter De Smidt
24-Feb-2010, 16:01
I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!

gnuyork
24-Feb-2010, 19:51
Go to Paul Roark's site and go with what he recommends. I used to use the MIS with the Eboni inks and it made a big difference using the his specific tone curves for specific papers. I think I used the Premiere Art paper with success. Can't remember what else I have used other than Epson archival matte (which I don't beleive was archival but they called it that.)

dalton
26-Feb-2010, 20:09
Moab Entrada is a beautiful paper, I've been using it for several years now. The natural has a nice bone white color with no OABs and is perfect for a warm-toned B&W print. The bright white does have some brighteners but is also a beautiful paper and works nicely for neutral or cool B&W prints and is great for color. Definitely give it a try.

Walter Foscari
26-Feb-2010, 21:25
Moab Entrada is a beautiful paper, I've been using it for several years now. The natural has a nice bone white color with no OABs and is perfect for a warm-toned B&W print...

I Agree. I would also add that it's substantially cheaper than many of the other previously listed.

Ultimately, don't forget that once a print is framed and under glass you'll most likely not be able to tell the difference from one paper to the other anyway.

W