PDA

View Full Version : Epson 3200- can't figure this out

r,l, Vigurs
18-Feb-2010, 22:02
I have spent the last three hours trying to scan a medium format frame. I'm ready to throw this out the window! I put the transparency into the holder, and I get three bits of the frame, when I preview. I have tried one single frame, and it cuts it into to two incomplete pics. I have loaded a three shot strip into the 120 holder, and it splits those into partial bits. Anybody have an idea if maybe I'm missing something? Or perhaps the unit is NG? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert

r,l, Vigurs
18-Feb-2010, 23:13
I just answered my own question. (only took 4.5 hours of trying). It appears that the Epson Perfection 3200 will only allow me to work with transparencies in Home Mode. Professional mode looks as though it will work with my 4x5 negatives, and photos. In home mode, I can still select up to 4800 dpi, and am able to look at the complete plastic holder on the flatbed. From there, I can place a marquis around the image part I want and scan. Whew. That took a while.

Jon Shiu
19-Feb-2010, 09:45
No, professional mode is the best to use. You need to uncheck thumbnail (the little tab next to the preview button.) Then you can use the mouse to select your scanning area. Good luck!

Jon

ps when scanning transparencies, the Epson software is a little agressive with the black point adjustment. So, click on the levels icon and slide the black point a little to preserve more shadow detail.

r,l, Vigurs
19-Feb-2010, 23:30
Thanks for the input Jon. I did try that. Deleting the thumbnail checkmark. I still found the image cropped, almost like a 35mm strip of image, while using the MF mask. Tonight I used professional mode to copy a print, and no problem. I bought a copy of Vuescan this evening, and found it fast, and quite easy to use. There is a learning curve here. I know my 45mcrx well. This is very different for me. I like the images you posted. Very nice texture. Robert

Jon Shiu
20-Feb-2010, 00:10
Just to be clear, you are using the combo 4x5/120 film holder?

Jon

r,l, Vigurs
20-Feb-2010, 08:46
Yes. I am using that holder with the 4x5 and 6x6-6x9 cutouts. Perhaps I'm not clear on using the mouse to open up the space to be scanned. I read on a post, about using a right click? I have used the mouse to draw a marquis around the part of image I want. I've tried changing the W and H numbers, but they return to a different setting for scan. Then the preview cuts the image so that it is not usable. Robert

Jon Shiu
20-Feb-2010, 10:29
Well, it is not supposed to be this hard. No right clicks or W/H settings needed. Make sure your target size says Original.

(As a work-around, you could use thumbnail mode and go into configuration to set your film size).

Jon

r,l, Vigurs
20-Feb-2010, 22:02
Thanks for your help Jon. It seems to be working well now using the epson software. I like the Vuescan too. Easy to use. One more question. When using the Vuescan, I get a reasonable file size automatically. The last transparency I scanned tonight(6x6) came out at a whopping 6627x5086. 1.51 mb for one image! I can resize in windows, then delete the original scan, but is there a way to lessen the file size sent by the 3200? I really like this scanner. It works very well, and I am getting tremendously clear scans. I can edit in Picasa. Again, I thank you for your help. You live close to the Sequoias. A beautiful place to shoot up there in Kings Canyon and Mineral King. Robert

Jon Shiu
20-Feb-2010, 22:39
Hi, you can enter an appropriate resolution for your needs, ie 600dpi for web, 1200dpi for small prints, or 2400 or 3200 for larger prints.

Jon