PDA

View Full Version : Rodagon-G 150mm vs Apo-Rodagon-N 150mm

Masa Hirai
16-Feb-2010, 11:59
Hello! :)

I try to enlarge 4x5 color negative films to 50" roll paper. The magnification ratio is about 11x. I usually use a normal Rodagon 150mm and a Componon-S 135mm for enlarging up to 20x24", but I think they don't fit to high magnification use. So I can't decide to choose between the Rodagon-G 150mm and the Apo-Rodagon-N 150mm (or the APO-Componon HM 150mm).

Because my negatives are thin, and my enlarger LPL C7453 is bright enough, perhaps I don't need F4 aperture for focusing. Moreover, I probably can get a used Rodagon-G 150mm from a camera shop easily. Should I select the Rodagon-G? But the magnification range of the Rodagon-G 150mm is 10x-40x, while the range of the Apo-Rodagon-N 150mm is 2x-15x. 11x may be too small for the Rodagon-G. And, the Apo-Rodagon-N's flatness of field allows to open 1/2 or one stop, this may be helpful to reduce the long exposure time of the big print. Should I wait until I find a used Apo-Rodagon? Or the non-Apo Rodagon is sufficient for this purpose? Which lens is better for the 50" roll print? :confused:

Thanks to all. (I'm sorry if my English writing is incorrect.)

Masa Hirai (Tokyo, Japan)

Bjorn Nilsson
25-Feb-2010, 09:58
The Apo lenses are probably the better choice, without considering the money issue.
So it seems like you can get started and make some tests with your ordinary Rodagon and that Rodagon-G. If the results are good enough with either lens, you need not to search any further.
This also depends on the negatives and how much detail they need to maintain in the final print. Again compromises with both money and time as factors. (I.e. it will take some time to find an APO lens at the right price.)

//Björn

BarryS
25-Feb-2010, 10:46
The maximum recommended enlargement for the Rodagon is 10X, while the Apo Rodagon N is recommended out to 15X, so the Apo might be worth it for you. I have an 80mm Apo Rodagon N along with and assortment of "normal" 80mm enlarging lenses and the differences aren't noticeable until you really start pushing the magnification. Have you confirmed the alignment of your enlarger (negative carrier, lens, easel) and are you using a double glass negative carrier? A flat negative and an aligned system is more important than the lens.

Bob Salomon
25-Feb-2010, 12:04
The maximum recommended enlargement for the Rodagon is 10X, while the Apo Rodagon N is recommended out to 15X, so the Apo might be worth it for you. I have an 80mm Apo Rodagon N along with and assortment of "normal" 80mm enlarging lenses and the differences aren't noticeable until you really start pushing the magnification. Have you confirmed the alignment of your enlarger (negative carrier, lens, easel) and are you using a double glass negative carrier? A flat negative and an aligned system is more important than the lens.

Barry,

He is asking about the Rodagon-G, not the Rodagon. The 150mm Rodagon G was optimized for 20x for prints from 10 to 40X the negative size. The Rodagon 150mm is optimized for 6X for 2 to 10X prints. They are very different lenses.

BarryS
25-Feb-2010, 12:11
Barry,

He is asking about the Rodagon-G, not the Rodagon. The 150mm Rodagon G was optimized for 20x for prints from 10 to 40X the negative size. The Rodagon 150mm is optimized for 6X for 2 to 10X prints. They are very different lenses.

Bob, he's posing several questions in his post--one of which is whether *any* Apo-Rodagon (or high-end enlarging lens) is necessary beyond the normal Rodagon lens. He also edited his post by adding some text after I posted my reply.

Allen in Montreal
25-Feb-2010, 15:59
Masa,

I am not sure how many of us can speak from 100 percent hands on experience in the same application as you are outlining, I know that I can not. However, you can perhaps take elements from each to help you pick a piece of glass.

I have made some huge enlargements with my Rodogan-G 105, that I cropped an 11x14 out of a 40 inch blowup and tested it against my Componon-S. The Rodagon won.
The print was at the end of the Componon's range and at the beginning of the Rodagaon-G's, nether were truly in their "peak zone". I would have been happy with the Componon-s had I not had the other to test and know the difference.

I have an Apo Rodoagon 80 that I really like, I sold my 80mm Componon-S (all my componons save for the 135mm) after using the Apo Rodagon.

Lately I have been testing a 120 Rodagon WA against a Rodagon 150 after having lost a few bids to buy an Apo 150 N.

If I were in your shoes, based on my tastes and what I have printed with to date, I would look past the G and the Componon-S and seek out a Apo-Rodagon-N 150mm or the APO-Componon HM 150mm if you like Schneider glass ( I have never seen one of these HM but I bet it is a real beauty to print with too).

Like many Rodenstock users, I can't put my finger on and describe why I like Rodagons over Componons, it seems to drive Schneider users nuts that Rodagon fans are so adamant without a graph to show why, but I just do prefer the Rodagon.
It is a feel, a taste thing I guess.

Go for the 150 Apo N and I would bet you will never look back.

Keep us posted, I for one, am curious to see how it turns out.

gary mulder
26-Feb-2010, 01:02
The Rodagons will give a slight increase of contrast compared to the Componons. Not more than half a graded probably less. Good to know if you work on graded paper.
Back to the question, if you do not mind changing lenses go for the Rodagon-G And save the money. This will give you moor ore less the same color correction.
If you are gear headed like me go for one of the Apo's. Definitely if you are using a autofocus enlager.