PDA

View Full Version : Velvia 50 5x7 possibility

Jim Becia
15-Feb-2010, 17:06
I hope this is an appropriate post. I had a talk with Jeff at Badger Graphics today. After having success with his special 5x7 order of Provia, I asked him what the possiblity would be for an order of 5x7 Velvia 50. He didn't see a reason why it couldn't happen, however, it would take an order of 200 boxes to make it happen. I don't know if we can generate that kind of order, but here's a chance to get it in 5x7 size. It would run higher than the Provia in cost by about $10 to $15 a box. I thought I would see what kind of interest is out there.

I personally would commit to at least 10 boxes. Any other interest? Jim Becia

rguinter
15-Feb-2010, 18:32
Jim: Do you have a ballpark cost per box? Does not have to be exact... just a round number. Thanks. Bob G.

ljsegil
16-Feb-2010, 04:17
Maybe, depending on price, but only a couple or so as I'm kind of both tapped out and set for 5x7 color with the Portra buy. However, Velvia 50 is special, and we've never had it for this format. As an alternative, might Kodak consider cutting some E100VS for a smaller order size? They only required 60 boxes for the Portra run. Personally, I prefer it over Velvia 50, but I suspect I'm an outlier holding that opinion (stop faster, saturated but less lurid colors to my eyes, less contrasty than Velvia, better towards the blue end of the spectrum. Just a thought, no more). Anyway, interested in another transparency alternative to the vanishing Provia, and these are my two favorites for landscape or floral work, although I would also welcome an Astia offering.
Larry
Confusing the issue, as usual.

Jim Becia
16-Feb-2010, 05:19
Bob G.

Film would be about $110 per box. This is a rough idea.

Larry,

In talking with Jeff, I got the impression that doing a run of VS was difficult. I personally would go for the VS also. However, Jeff said that Velvia would not be a problem. I'm not sure if there is another seller out there that would look into a VS sale. Just trying to see what interest is out there. (I personally have been cutting down some 8x10 film with pretty good success. Thought it would be nice not having to worry about the cutting down process, but it may be the only way to go.) Jim

ljsegil
16-Feb-2010, 11:30
Shoot, I'd go for VS in 5x7 or 8x10 (well stocked in 4x5). I wonder why it would be a problem? I assume your price estimate is for a twenty sheet box of Velvia 50?
Larry

Songyun
16-Feb-2010, 11:59
$110/per box sounds good. $10 for saving trouble cutting from 810, that totally worth it.
Now you got me totally hooked up with 5X7 format. :) I just bought a pair of 5X7 holders from Jeff.

Don Hutton
16-Feb-2010, 18:09
I'd be in for 5 - perhaps 10 boxes - cutting down 8x10 is very do-able but not exactly a fun way to spend time...

Jim Becia
17-Feb-2010, 06:11
Don,

I used the 5x7 Toho reducing back (bought from you) on my trip to Death Valley and it worked like a charm. I have several 5x7 images that turned out stunningly. It was nice using the back as it is compact and thin and added another option to my Ebony 8x10. Thanks! Jim

I guess there is not much interest in color transparency film for 5x7.

ljsegil
17-Feb-2010, 08:51
I'd be good for five boxes, long as I can sneak them past the wife. I've still got a little room on the freezer shelf, and nature does abhor a vacuum.
Larry

Songyun
17-Feb-2010, 08:58
I'd be good for five boxes, long as I can sneak them past the wife. I've still got a little room on the freezer shelf, and nature does abhor a vacuum.
Larry
:D :D :D
Same thing here 5 boxes!

Songyun
17-Feb-2010, 09:38
Jim, maybe you should post a note in the camera section. I remember there was a post there talking about 57 rvp special order.

Jim Becia
22-Feb-2010, 09:39
Looks like there is not much interest in Velvia 5x7. But a few people mentioned E100VS. For "kicks" I emailed Kodak about the possibility of a run of E100VS in 8x10 and they will do it. HOWEVER, (there's always a catch) it has to be a minimum order of $16000. I will start a different post concerning the E100VS. Jim

vinny
22-Feb-2010, 11:15
Jim, you could also post both inquiries on flickr under the large format and 8x10 groups. I'd post it on every forum if I were trying to get people interested. I have so much 8x10 e-6 film I have no need to buy any for several years.