PDA

View Full Version : New Epson 4990 - Can't change scan size to 4x5 holder?.?.?

marshallarts
13-Feb-2010, 22:58
Yes, it's a 'new' Epson 4990, I'm a little behind. Got it all set up but am having a problem. It's probably very simple but I've been trying to get it to work for hours. I simply can't figure it out (yes, I've read the manual)

I am trying to scan 4x5's with the OEM 4x5 film holder. Using Epson Scan in professional mode I select Film with film holder. But the document size defaults to 4.55 x 1.26" and when I scan or preview it looks as if Epson Scan thinks I'm using the 35mm film holders.

I've tried everything I can think of but can't get it to change to the 4x5" format. There must be a way, and I'm obviously doing something wrong. Shouldn't there be a preset for 4x5?

I know it's ridiculous. Can someone please help.

thanks

Robert Ley
15-Feb-2010, 16:55
Is this 4990 one of the refurbs from the Epson store? If so, check that you have installed the correct software. I just received mine last Friday and they sent me the software and the negative holders for the 4490 which will not scan 4x5. I called the Epson store and they are sending me out all the necessary software and holders for my 4990 no problem except the delay in using my scanner.

Good luck and I am hoping that I have no more problems with this scanner. Let us know how it works out for you.

Robert

Jack Dahlgren
15-Feb-2010, 16:58
On my V500 if I deselect the "thumbnail" checkbox at the bottom it will give you the whole screen and you can select what you want to scan using the marquee - after you preview.

Heroique
15-Feb-2010, 17:17
I think I can picture your problem ... maybe try this for starters:

1) As Jack says above, in the "Epson Scan" dialog box, set the "Preview" button for "normal," not "thumbnail." (That is, click the tiny arrow on the right side of the "Preview" button, selecting "normal.")

2) Now, go ahead and click "Preview." (This, by the way, "unlocks" the document size default.) As you've seen, the scanner will cycle through a preview scan, and a second dialog box, titled "Preview," will pop-up on the right, showing you the preview image.

3) Next, position your mouse on top of this preview image, and "left-click" it while holding down; this allows you to "draw" a square on top the initial preview image, defining that portion of the image you're interested in scanning. (As you draw, you'll notice the document size dimensions change.)

4) Once you're finished drawing, click "Zoom," and your scanner will make a second preview, this time only of the area you drew with your mouse.

5) Now, back in the "Epson" dialogue box, you can modify this second image (levels, colors, etc.).

6) Once you're satisfied, press "Scan," and after this "scanning" cycle, you'll have your scanned image, ready to be saved to your hard drive.

Epson Scan is not the most self-explanatory software, but once you learn its peculiarities, it does an excellent job. ;)

-----
Note: Since the 4990 has a single fixed lens, I don't think the choice between "Scan (w/ film holder)" vs. "Scan (w/ film area guide)" makes any difference on the 4990's operation. The story is different, of course, with the v-700/750 series.

PenGun
15-Feb-2010, 19:33
Try Vuescan. I use nothing else.

https://www.hamrick.com/

marshallarts
15-Feb-2010, 19:57
Wow! After DAYS with your help I got it to work! Sort of... I still have a few questions.
1.) As Robert mentioned, shouldn't there be a preset for 4x5? It appears the 35mm strip is the default, you'd think one wouldn't have to fiddle with the marquee tool to get it to work (i.e. it's difficult to perfectly select the image, isn't that partially the point of having the film holder in the first place, to define the area?)

2.) I do notice my document size when I select using the Marquee tool is ~4.7x3.7 (not 4x5, again I may be off because it's difficult to select accurately, another reason it should be a preset). Is this because of the border area isn't included? I sort of like the border, at least for novelty with more casual prints, wish the film holders got a piece of it.

3.) It took me a minute to realize you can select two different areas. At first it looks like when you select a second the first is deleted. Still it's also annoying it seems you can only zoom on one area at a time, unless I'm wrong. But here's my question: It bothers me one has to (1st), scan for a preview, (2nd) scan for the zoom , to finally (3rd) get the scan you want! Aren't all these scans superfluous and can it possible be excessive wear and tear on the scanner? Again, if the film holder had a size preset you could just hit scan according to the perimeters you want and have a scan ready for final touching in Photoshop!-- which leads to another question

4.) Do you really rely on the Epson Scan adjustments? Wouldn't you be better off adjusting in Photoshop? (or is Epson Scan really that good?)

marshallarts
15-Feb-2010, 23:07
Also....

After my first scan I'm disappointed by the way it turned out in areas, particularly dark areas. I scanned at 2400dpi, 16-bit Grayscale, saved as TIF, no adjustments except for Digital Ice (which still left dust in areas). It looks terrible in only these areas, in the attached photo you see it perfectly on the dark grey shirt. Looks like banding (or posterizing?) with DSLRs but I scanned it at 16bits and can't find details hidden in Photoshop...

Does anyone know what may have caused this? Was I simply underexposed or it is my scanning technique?

Thank you very much for any advice, I'm very new to scanning and have much to learn (and ultimately share)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/notastepizzaface/PreviewScreenSnapz001.jpg

linuxpng
16-Feb-2010, 05:19
Also....

After my first scan I'm disappointed by the way it turned out in areas, particularly dark areas. I scanned at 2400dpi, 16-bit Grayscale, saved as TIF, no adjustments except for Digital Ice (which still left dust in areas). It looks terrible in only these areas, in the attached photo you see it perfectly on the dark grey shirt. Looks like banding (or posterizing?) with DSLRs but I scanned it at 16bits and can't find details hidden in Photoshop...

Does anyone know what may have caused this? Was I simply underexposed or it is my scanning technique?

Thank you very much for any advice, I'm very new to scanning and have much to learn (and ultimately share)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/notastepizzaface/PreviewScreenSnapz001.jpg

Not an expert, but I think the Digital ICE is your problem. Which means you have to manually remove the dust from your scan with Photoshop.

Try to rescan it without DigitalICE enabled and see if that gives better (but dustier) results.

Tom Monego
16-Feb-2010, 06:28
I have never used Digital Ice with b&w, heard they didn't play nice together. Haven't had this problem on my V700. I only use Digital Ice when I have a really dusty transparency, I work in a medical facility, when i see an MD bringing me a tray of slides to digitize, digital ice gets turned on, otherwise I default it to off.

Tom

SW Rick
16-Feb-2010, 08:40
Everything I have seen says that ICE is not compatible with non-C41 b&w film- I assume that's what you're using. ICE sees the film grain as defects and tries to "fix" them. Don't know if that's the problem here, but "no ICE, thanks".

Jack Dahlgren
16-Feb-2010, 09:53
ICE uses infrared to detect the difference between dust (non-transparent) and the film dyes (transparent). Silver halide in black and white film is opaque to infrared so that is why it doesn't work well.

There used to be some dye-based black and white stuff (Ilford XP1 I think) which was not silver so if you used that you might be OK using ICE.