PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 135mm f/3.8 Xenar - Info sought

CarstenW
13-Feb-2010, 16:10
I picked up this lens on a whim, and it is meant to cover 4x5. The serial number is 45009xx. I have searched on both the Schneider sites (U.S and Germany), as well as on this site and on Google, and can hardly find anything about it. Does anyone have a data sheet or any other information on it?

In general it is in fantastic shape, with the exception of a little haze between the two front elements. Does anyone know what it would cost to clear that out, and sanitized, in case it is an early case of fungus?

The Synchro-Compur shutter also needs some TLC, running slow at the slow speeds, at least. The shutter-open-lever also returns to closed rather slowly, and sometimes it hangs. I can use T for this for now, but would like it fixed, of course.

I am located in Berlin, Germany, in case anyone has a repair place to suggest.

Peter K
13-Feb-2010, 16:31
The Xenar f/3.8 135mm was made from the Thirties up to the Fifties for folding cameras 9x12cm.

Mounted in Compur C1X shutter for the Technika III E and Standard-Press as the fastest, and more expensive, press-lens compared with the Press-Xenar f/4.7 127mm.

Peter

CarstenW
13-Feb-2010, 16:48
Thanks, Peter. I see that you are in Germany. Do you have a tip for where I might have it CLA'ed, and any idea of the cost?

Peter K
13-Feb-2010, 17:44
Do you have a tip for where I might have it CLA'ed, and any idea of the cost?
Ask e. g. here (http://www.geissler-service.de/index.html) but I've no idea about the costs.

Peter

CarstenW
16-Feb-2010, 07:52
I sent them an email, asking them if they can disassemble and clean lenses, and polish and so on. They replied that I could send it in and they will make a Kostenvoranschlag. Checking on their site, they state that the fee for this is non-refundable if you don't accept it, and that in the process of making this price suggestion, they may render the object (lens) in a state where it no longer works, and that they also will not reverse these changes if you don't accept.

Since I have no idea what their suggestion might be, and they gave me no hint of this, and since the lens may afterwards be useless, and since I might even have to pay for this, I am very reluctant to do this.

Do you have personal experience with Geissler, Peter?

Peter K
16-Feb-2010, 10:06
Do you have personal experience with Geissler, Peter?
Many years ago but here (http://www.fotomechanik-reinhardt.de/) is another workshop specialized also on leaf-shutters. No personal experience but positive feedback from other LF-gear users.

Peter