PDA

View Full Version : Old Book

Doug Clevenger
10-Feb-2010, 02:23
I was wondering where the most appropriate place to post a question I have regarding a bound book of individual photographs (hand printed, mounted on cloth sheets, and bound in what was once a leather-bound volume). It was evidently produced under the auspices of the Southern Pacific Company, and is entitled "Oregon Views". It has 134 8x10 pages (photographs - each titled).

I purchased it around 40 years ago in an antique shop somewhere around Placerville California, where they were going to rip out and sell each page as an individual antique picture. Back then I was into Black and White photography, as well as doing some platinum and palladium prints, so I just bought the whole book.

All of the prints are warm tinted and could possibly be Palladium prints.

The subject matter is diverse - everything from farm scenes, Rogue River at Grant's pass, old saw mills, mill of Granite Hill Gold Mine, American Goldfield Company, Soldier's Home in Roseburg, 3 page panorama of the Springfield Lumber mills at Springfield, Oregon, as well as as early pictures of the University of Oregon, Oregon Agricultural College in Corvallis, State Capitol in Salem, and downtown Portland with streetcars, wagons, and women in ankle length dresses.
My guess is that the photographs were taken in the early 1900's as some part of a documentary series done by the Southern Pacific Company.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any knowledge of such a series, and/or seen one of theses books before. I also wonder whether these are Palladium prints, because they are fairly well preserved for prints this old.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Doug (dlcii)

csant
10-Feb-2010, 03:00
Hello and welcome! Some more details on the book, and maybe a scan of a sample page could help. Are the prints on very thin paper, or is it not extremely thin? How is the surface: mat, or glossy?

jnantz
10-Feb-2010, 09:35
hi doug

you might contact the union pacific railroad ( they are still around )
and find out if there are archives from the southern pacific railroad
that they saved from the merger ( 1996 ).

my uneducated guess is the photographs were made during
the period of time when the southern pacific company
was surveying the region before they put in the railroad line.
union pacific might know who the photographer was,
or might know of a railroad historian who does ...
(who knows they might have an interest in the book ) ...

http://ribbonrail.com/rrpro/database.html
these people might be able to help as well!

good luck with your detective work !
john

Doremus Scudder
10-Feb-2010, 15:25
Doug,

There is a Southern Oregon Historical Society that may be able to help (and may be interested in your book as well).

www.sohs.org

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Doug Clevenger
28-Feb-2010, 04:26
I have taken some pictures of the old book of Oregon Views, which were going to be attached. I evidently don't understand how to get the pictures to the website through the URL process to the website

They really are poor copies of the pictures, but I believe you'll get an idea of what I have. I don't have a copy set-up, so I just pulled out the camera with the book only under one light and photographed just a few of the pictures.

The pictures in the book are magnificently sharp, and I figure they were done with an 8x10 camera. I include one picture of the back of one of the photographs to show how they were individually mounted on a cloth background.

I've been ill lately and have just been able to get back to the forum on this subject.

I'd be pleased if anyone would like to make any further comment.

Thanks, Doug

Doug Clevenger
28-Feb-2010, 04:45
Hello and welcome! Some more details on the book, and maybe a scan of a sample page could help. Are the prints on very thin paper, or is it not extremely thin? How is the surface: mat, or glossy?
I have taken some pictures of the old book of Oregon Views, which were going to be attached. I evidently don't understand how to get the pictures to the website through the URL process to the website

They really are poor copies of the pictures, but I believe you'll get an idea of what I have. I don't have a copy set-up, so I just pulled out the camera with the book only under one light and photographed just a few of the pictures.

The pictures in the book are magnificently sharp, and I figure they were done with an 8x10 camera. I include one picture of the back of one of the photographs to show how they were individually mounted on a cloth background.

I've been ill lately and have just been able to get back to the forum on this subject.

I'd be pleased if anyone would like to make any further comment.

Thanks, Doug