PDA

View Full Version : v700, silverfast se, & windows 7

Wade Guisbert
6-Feb-2010, 13:11
I was playing with my Epson V700 on my son's old laptop that runs Windows XP (40gb hard drive & 512mb RAM) it ran really slow, but it did download all the software that came with the V700, including the Silverfast SE 6, and I was able to generate 500MB sized files from 4X5 scans.

I bought myself a Dell with a 1T harddrive and 8gb of RAM in order to scan 4X5 slides and negs at the 500MB plus file size at a faster rate. Now with the new Windows 7 computer, the Silverfast SE will not install. I get a message: "This program can only be installed on versions of Windowss designed for the following processor architecture: X86"

I tried running the scan without the Silverfast software and was only getting a 44MB file in the "saved photo" when the file size posted at the bottom of the scan said the file was 2.0GB. I'm assuming the problem was because I didn't have the Silverfast SE 6 software installed. Is this assumption correct?

I got on the Silverfast website and saw that they have "updated" software available for Windows 7. What is the deal with the 32bit and 64bit? Which do I want to update to?

Jim Graves
6-Feb-2010, 18:47
Here is Silverfast's statement:

"Compatibility with older SilverFast versions?
SilverFast editions with version numbers before 6.6.1r2 aren't specially adjusted to the Windows 7 operating system. Older versions possibly may not run on a Windows 7 machine or may cause some errors. For example, installation and stability problems may occur.

It's always recommendable to use the latest SilverFast version available. If you already own a SilverFast the update is free or available for a discounted rate. "

Here's a link to that page: Link (http://www.silverfast.com/show/windows7/en.html)

Sergei Antonov
6-Feb-2010, 20:14
You could use your serial number with downloaded software, if your own copy is not too old. I got scanner (V750) quite a while ago and still use upgrades downloaded from the silverfast web site, in my case it is SF Ai. You could install latest trial version, and if it works, try to activate it with your serial number.

--Sergei

gari beet
7-Feb-2010, 02:52
I am just about to buy a V700 and so have been looking at this very issue, on the link mentioned there is a list of upgrade links including W7 32bit and 64bit. As has been mentioned, you just put the number on the disc for SF in the box when prompted.
I was told that there was no support for W7 but having looked on the site I found the aforementioned page. I was beginning to think buying the new machine was a mistake....

Gari

Wade Guisbert
8-Feb-2010, 05:28
I bounced around a bit, but eventually downloaded a "free update" for the Windows 7. Things are working fine!

Once again, thanks everybody! Oh by the way, I explored around a bit and found the "64 bit" thing on my computer.