PDA

View Full Version : problem

jp
5-Feb-2010, 09:19
LF and MF gear is so cheap and appealing after years of DSLR use. I can't say no to it, to a fault. It's like trading expensive cocaine for cheap crack.

I have 1 4x5 camera I actually use. It's in my car with meter,film,tripod at all times.

I have bought a second lens for it that needs a CLA before I use it.

I have bought an aerial 4x5 gowland that I need to fit a lens to. I have the lens.

I have bought an 8x10 camera that I'm waiting on a lensboard for. All the other accessories for it have arrived.

I have a yashica TLR that needs a CLA; I've had it for about 20 years, but I want to do MF again, but would rather have a camera with a meter in it. It's not in good enough shape to sell it. It was rough when I got it.

So now, I'm looking at a newer MF camera, and I have a couple cameras I haven't even had a chance to use yet.

I'm not rich; I just spend money on photography instead of booze, cigarettes, or gaming. I have a annual budget for the hobby and I'm blowing it fast.

I stay away from the bleeding edge. I'm ridicule the guys who think whoever dies with the most toys wins. But, I feel like analog photography is starting to make a comeback and when the economy improves, prices will go back up as more people regain discretionary spending. I just bought a lens for the 8x10 for $195 that costs $3600+ new.

cdholden
5-Feb-2010, 10:10
Can you find me one of those Cooke XVa lenses for $195?

Send your TLR off to Mark Hama. There is lots of good feedback on the forums about his services. I have no connection to his business other than being a satisified customer with a 124G. It's been purring right along since he did a CLA on it a few years ago. He even replaced the corroded battery clip!
Chris

Jack Dahlgren
5-Feb-2010, 10:58
I have a yashica TLR that needs a CLA; I've had it for about 20 years, but I want to do MF again, but would rather have a camera with a meter in it. It's not in good enough shape to sell it. It was rough when I got it.

Put it on ebay as-is. No use spending $100 on cleaning a $50 camera that you don't want to use.

Glenn Thoreson
5-Feb-2010, 12:21
If your Yashica has the Yashinon lens, get it fixed. Ugly or not, it's the best thing you can get for the price. Newer don't always mean better,in this case. :D