PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 view camera for macro?

Hank Graber
27-Dec-2001, 08:34
Could I get suggestions for a reasonably compact 6X7 view camera/lens combo that would be used mostly in the field (no long treks)for macro work. Quality and ea se of use would take priority over price. Thanks

giancatarina
27-Dec-2001, 09:18
arca F line 69 metric with digital lens if you are certain to stick to roll film, i was suppose to buy it, at the last moment i find a second hand technikardan 45 S, i will use it most of time with a 6x7 back, but i can always switch to 4x5. if weight and size are not a problem, (no long treks) you can also use a 4x5 from sinar (F2 not F), arca F line Metric 45. For macro work yoy should buy very good modern lens, otherwise you should stick to 35mm

Jeffrey Goggin
27-Dec-2001, 10:47
I don't know of any view camera that folds up more compactly than the Galvin 2x3 ... mine actually took up less room than the Bronica SQ-Ai that I also owned. If you can get by with less than 240mm of bellows extension and don't mind using non-geared movements, this is probably the best compromise between weight (under 3lbs), size and performance around. Although they're no longer available new, finding a good one shouldn't be too difficult (they do show up on eBay relatively often) and best of all, they're still quite inexpensive, as these things go.

Lars Åke Vinberg
27-Dec-2001, 13:54
As an alternative, perhaps a Hasselblad flexbody? Only 6x6 though.

paul owen
27-Dec-2001, 18:24
The Silvestri range of perspective control cameras are able to take enlarger lenses combined with their bellows units for macro work. Although they are mainly designed for wide angle architecture/landscape work.

Jack Nadelle
1-Jan-2002, 14:05
Arca Swiss, Calumet SF, Cambo (great 6x9 if you can find it) Horseman, Galvin ( quality in that order) probably is not solid enough to handle extended bellows- all right for ormal shooting though. Toyo g 2x3 is nice but big as a 4x5. Any lens between 125-180 (depends on camera draw and desired image size. Lens designed for macro use (nikon etc. work best but not for normal shots)

Ellis Vener
3-Jan-2002, 00:24
Outside of a big heavy monorail complete with with extention bellows and two support points , the best view camera I've used for macro work is the Canham DLC. For up to a 1:1 reproduction ratio (at least) on 4x5 with a 240mm it can't be beat, except with something like a big Linhof, Arca, Sinar (P, C or X cameras-- not the F series), or Horseman, etc. monorail. Approximately 540mm of rail and bellows is built into the design. Very stable, very good (bright and contrasty) groundglass/fresnel combination.