View Full Version : Velvia 50 5x7 - Special Order

ant740
29-Jan-2010, 06:41
Hello,

Good news !!! :D
Japan Exposure can takes Velvia 50 5x7" pre-orders
You can find explanations here :

http://www.japanexposures.com/2010/0...x7-sheet-film/

Please read carefully conditions of this special order !

Regards,
Anthony

ant740
29-Jan-2010, 07:53
Sorry, a little problem with the link...
http://www.japanexposures.com/2010/01/28/special-order-fujichrome-velvia-50-5x7-sheet-film/

vinny
29-Jan-2010, 07:59
that's only $8.80/sheet folks at todays' exchange rate if you buy 10 boxes!

Steve Hamley
29-Jan-2010, 12:15
If you're willing to use a paper cutter, you can get it for $4.85 - $5 a sheet by buying a box of 8x10 from Badger Graphic or B&H and making two cuts. Or if you're willing to do the same for lowly Velvia 100, you can do it for about $4.35 a sheet, saving a full half.

I'm not against paying a bit extra for something I really need, but I'd rather save half and use the cutter.

And you can always cut 8x10, but you can't put two 5x7s together!

Cheers, Steve

Dirk Rösler
29-Jan-2010, 18:18
The future of film is about availability, not price. Better get used to it.

Thanks for the link.

Songyun
29-Jan-2010, 18:45
Probably the future of the film is B&W.
In the other post, another good E-6 lab closed.

Steve Hamley
30-Jan-2010, 11:43
Dirk,

I apologize and didn't mean to offend, certainly what you say is true. BUT film is a commodity generally priced by the square inch (or square meter or whatever), and if the film is made in any format, then it's available in any other format if the manufacturer wants to cut it and package it that way, since it's made in master rolls.

So the offer at nearly double the price seems to be simply paying close to $4.50 per sheet for the manufacturer to cut it and put it in a box.

Now if this was a format that you couldn't cut yourself, like ULF, then there might be a compelling reason for many folks to pay twice the price. And for some who don't feel comfortable cutting film, it may be the only ball game in town.

Anyway, thank you for offering it.

Cheers, Steve

Dirk Rösler
30-Jan-2010, 17:21
So the offer at nearly double the price seems to be simply paying close to $4.50 per sheet for the manufacturer to cut it and put it in a box.

Hi Steve, no offense taken and certainly no apology needed. I agree with the above and that is also my frustration in dealing with the manufacturer. But it is worth a try and the convenience might be worth it for some photographers. After all, many people are very keen to pay double for Quickloads ;)

r.e.
30-Jan-2010, 18:49
What this mostly shows is that repeated posts on this forum that if we didn't make an order with Badger Graphic right away for Portra 5x7, we would never again be able to get colour 5x7 film, were bunk. Badger is now offering the film on the open market, B&H will take a bulk order and Japan Exposures has never been known for cheap prices. Not to mention, as pointed out above, that cutting down 8x10 is not rocket science.

Steve Hamley
30-Jan-2010, 19:07
Things have always been pricey in Japan and the exchange rate doesn't help either. But if I wanted some Acros QLs (and I will at some point) or anything else not available stateside, I wouldn't hesitate to buy some from JE.

Cheers, Steve

Songyun
30-Jan-2010, 19:43
Japan Exposures has never been known for cheap prices. Not to mention, as pointed out above, that cutting down 8x10 is not rocket science.

This probably has something to do with Fuji's sales in Japan. If you check their 120 film price, that is about the same as here in U.S.

Then I agree that cutting 810 into 5X7 is the way to go. If you can cut them yourself, it is cheaper that way. Badger has 5X7 RDP 20 sheets for $120, but 10 sheets 810 should be less than $100, last time I checked. If Fuji offer $120 for RVP 50 in 57, I guess a lot of ppl here wont bother to cut the film themselves, even though it is still a bit expensive.

It doesn't make any sense to me. I like the way ilford offers, it is almost proportional to the area of the film. (with a few exception, WP for example is the same price as 810, which is understandable).

ant740
31-Jan-2010, 06:35
Hello,

I cutting 5x7 in 8x10 regulary
but this is definitely not my favorite activity ! ;)
It's not very complicated, but I've sometimes scratches or none exact dimensions

I'm agree with you, price is high...
but for this price I've 20 "perfects" sheets.

I've ask to JE if this special order will be possible, and he has ok to try experience
I've ask on a french large format forum
some peoples are interested, so I transmit information to try to reach minimal quantity for special order

Regards,
Anthony

ps : Sorry for my english ...:o

Songyun
17-Feb-2010, 22:26
Hi, guys there is a discussion in resourse section, probably won't get as much exposure as here, if anyone is interested, go check it out.