PDA

View Full Version : Florida Everglades

Simon Benton
27-Jan-2010, 06:39
My wife and I and another couple are spending the month of February in Florida and are planning a trip to the Everglades. This will be an opportunity for us to explore the area and take some photographs. Could any of the members suggest places to see that are not tourist traps, quaint hotels to stay at and good places to eat. Any information and suggestions gratefully received.

George Stewart
27-Jan-2010, 06:54
Places to shoot and see, besides the Everglades, would be:

Big Cyprus National Preserve;
Cork Screw Swamp Sanctuary;
Clyde Butcher's Gallery on Tamiami Trail (HWY 41); and
if you are into art deco architecture - South Beach.

John Brady
27-Jan-2010, 16:07
The Florida Everglades is a vast wonderland and not all parts are easily accessed. I live on the western edge of the Everglades and have devoted my current work to capturing it on film. As George mentioned, The Big Cypress Preserve is a good place to go and also the Everglades national park.

It will really depend on whether you will be on the East coast or West. If you like you can call me and I will give you some ideas. 239-273-5813

www.timeandlight.com
www.gladesgallery.com

Robert A. Zeichner
27-Jan-2010, 16:28
I've made some nice images in Treetops Park near Pembroke Pines. There is also a newer park in that general area where they are attempting to restore portions of the Everglades that have been over developed. It's called the Long Key Nature Center. It's a little north and west of Pembroke Pines. I was there a couple of years ago and there were some interesting stands of trees and even some nesting areas for Egrets that I was able to photograph. I intend to visit that area in February as well. We are leaving for FL on the 11th and staying in Pembroke Pines through the following Monday. Let me know if you might be interested in getting together. I'll be bringing my Voigtlander 667 for a trial run.

Bill_1856
27-Jan-2010, 18:39
The motel and restaurant in Flamingo are good. There are many tours from the National Park headquarters.
Whatever you do, don't fail to drive out the Tamiami Trail (US 41) to Clyde Butcher's gallery in Big Cypress. WWW.ClydeButcher.com.

Brian Ellis
27-Jan-2010, 19:26
When I used to photograph in the Big Cypress Preserve I stayed in Everglades City at the Rod and Gun Lodge. Very rustic old place with a pretty good restaurant and a real "old time Florida" atmosphere. It's one of those Florida places built a long time ago, maybe 1920s or earlier, that used to be popular with tycoons and U.S. presidents. IIRC you have easy access to the northwest entrance to Everglades National Park from Everglades City.

I did a lot of legal work many years ago for a guy who was convinced that Everglades City was going to become the next great Florida resort area. So he sunk a million dollars or more (1970s dollars) into building a restaurant and motel there. Unfortunately Everglades City didn't live up to his dreams and he eventually went broke. But the restaurant and motel he built are still there. The restaurant is called the "Captains Table" and is o.k. but I liked the food and atmosphere at the Rod and Gun Lodge better. I never stayed at the motel.

The Photograph America publication on the Everglades is useful if you've never been to the area before. It only costs about $8 and you can order on line or download it as a pdf. Just google on Photograph America.

Do you plan to spend the entire month in the area of the Everglades? If not, and if you'll be in the Tampa area, let me know. I lived there most of my life and can suggest a few things (a very few, which is one reason I now live in Oregon) to photograph and some restaurants.

Tom Schaefer
28-Jan-2010, 12:00
The motel and restaurant in Flamingo are good. There are many tours from the National Park headquarters.
Whatever you do, don't fail to drive out the Tamiami Trail (US 41) to Clyde Butcher's gallery in Big Cypress. WWW.ClydeButcher.com.

Hate to say it but there is no longer a motel or restaurant in Flamingo. They were casualties of the last couple of hurricanes. Their is still a campground with minimal
services. It is 42 miles from the park entrance to Flamingo still a great place.

Tom

peterjnolan
28-Jan-2010, 12:34
If you are able to drive the Tamiami Trail (aka HWY 41), I highly recommend driving on Loop Road. Loop Road is extraordinary. Enter from the west, and turn around when the road gets too rough. Last month I drove in from the east — it was very "exciting" in my 4x4. You'll see alligators and wading birds up close! Plus, it is east to get out of the car and explore.

If you are interested in hiking, check out the Florida Trail (http://www.floridatrail.org), which starts on Loop Road and cuts through both the Tamiami Trail and I-75 to the north, allowing easy access to interesting terrain.

Feel free to contact me, I live in Ft. Lauderdale and head into Big Cypress quite often.

--Peter
peter@peterjnolan.com
www.peterjnolan.com (http://www.peterjnolan.com)