PDA

View Full Version : Bring On the Brassies, I've adapted to Them!

Richard K.
25-Jan-2010, 14:17
Just finished putting together an adapter that will couple *most brass lenses mounted on Sinar boards to a Sinar Auto Shutter which is then coupled to any camera that has a Sinar front standard. I like this method because the shutter is not attached in between the front standard and the bellows, leaving the camera uncompromised, able to fold etc. Other than some Sinars you would still need an adapter behind the front standard. In the set-up I'm using, the cameras and lenses are their own entities and the Sinar Shutter moves as one accessory with front and back adapters attached. All of this is thanks to one **Ducky Tse (really!), a fine gentleman in Hong Kong, who produces exquisite work for a very reasonable price. I have no affiliation with Ducky whatsoever except that of happy customer. Here are 2 photos showing the set-up ready to accept your 1856 lens on Sinar board (1st photo) and the whole 3 piece adapter/shutter/adapter ready to go on to any Sinar type front standard (2nd photo).

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/Ducky11.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/Ducky12.jpg

* lenses that extend much beyond the flange would have to be mounted on to a "top hat" type board or another apacer adapter used (watch for vignetting in short focal lengths!). This problem would eventually occur in all such set-ups. The only other small concern with SOME cameras is that the weight of the adapters/shutter (a little over 2 lbs) might produce worrisome torque and force against the top retaing clip on the front standard but I doubt that this is a problem.

**You can contact Ducky through his current auction of the second adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-shutter-adapter-Barrel-lens-5x7-8x10-film-camera_W0QQitemZ150407328459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2304f9b2cb

Ken Lee
25-Jan-2010, 15:23
(For those who have not seen one, but are curious: In the photos above, the lens is towards the left, and the bellows is to the right.)

Is the following statement correct ?

On a Sinar camera - without your adaptors - the bellows plugs into the rear of the Sinar Shutter, and the front of the shutter plugs into the rear of the front standard.

However, with your adpators, the Sinar Shutter sits out front, plugging in where a lens, mounted on a Sinar board, would normally be. To the front standard, it appears like just any lens board. And to a lens on a board, it appears just like the front standard.

Is that right ?

So instead of the standard holding the lens, the standard + shutter holds the lens. I guess that would work for all except the heaviest lenses, since everything here is made of metal.

Pretty clever !!! I wonder if I can get an adaptor for my old Kodak 2D !!

Lachlan 717
25-Jan-2010, 15:25
Not too sure that I'd want to hang a large/heavy lens on this...

Your thoughts?

Also, just to clarify something you wrote, Shen Hao is about to release a 4x5 that has a Sinar bellow. Thus, these Sinar shutters are going to be usable on a field camera very soon (allowing up to 400mm draw and the weight to be supported by the front standard, not the shutter).

David McNiven
25-Jan-2010, 16:49
I use Sinar Copal shutters in the usual way, ie. between front standard & bellows because I also use DB mount lenses.
As far as I can see you could just turn the shutter back-to-front to use it in the way you describe, subject of course to using top-hat boards so lenses don't protrude behind the boards at all.
Or am I missing something?

Richard K.
25-Jan-2010, 17:31
(For those who have not seen one, but are curious: In the photos above, the lens is towards the left, and the bellows is to the right.)

Is the following statement correct ?

On a Sinar camera - without your adaptors - the bellows plugs into the rear of the Sinar Shutter, and the front of the shutter plugs into the rear of the front standard.

I would say yes you speak the truth...but...is that true for ALL Sinar cameras?

However, with your adpators, the Sinar Shutter sits out front, plugging in where a lens, mounted on a Sinar board, would normally be. To the front standard, it appears like just any lens board. And to a lens on a board, it appears just like the front standard.

Right again!

So instead of the standard holding the lens, the standard + shutter holds the lens. I guess that would work for all except the heaviest lenses, since everything here is made of metal.

True except it's the standard, shutter and 2 adapters that hold the lens...:)

Pretty clever !!! I wonder if I can get an adaptor for my old Kodak 2D !!

All you need is to convert the standard to Sinar...:D

Richard K.
25-Jan-2010, 17:41
Not too sure that I'd want to hang a large/heavy lens on this...

Your thoughts?

Also, just to clarify something you wrote, Shen Hao is about to release a 4x5 that has a Sinar bellow. Thus, these Sinar shutters are going to be usable on a field camera very soon (allowing up to 400mm draw and the weight to be supported by the front standard, not the shutter).

I've had 5 lb lenses on my Ebony and Chamonix cameras with no perceptible stress so I think that a 2 lb adapter + small to medium brass lens should be OK...I HOPE!!!:eek:

If you are asking about stress on the shutter, the adapter screws in several turns into the threaded filter hole on the adapter - quite solid.

That's a great deal with the Shen Hao BUT...I'd still rather keep all my cameras intact and just carry a completely compatible to Sinar, Chamonix, Shen Hao etc. adapter that attaches quickly on all of my cameras. In my case each of my 4 cameras would need an adapter behind the front standard. Thus this for me is way easier! :)

Richard K.
25-Jan-2010, 19:26
I use Sinar Copal shutters in the usual way, ie. between front standard & bellows because I also use DB mount lenses.
As far as I can see you could just turn the shutter back-to-front to use it in the way you describe, subject of course to using top-hat boards so lenses don't protrude behind the boards at all.
Or am I missing something?

No you are mostly right! It's just that the profile of some cameras (Chamonix being one) won't allow the shutter close enough to the board space to be clipped in because that space is just slightly recessed and the shutter edge hits the frame before it's close enough to engage. Now Ebony ALMOST works; it's just the end of the clip (at right angles to the rest of it) that slides down to hold the board in place on top that hits the shutter before locking. This, however might have a cheap fix by getting a longer clip or avoiding the right angle bend in it.

john wood
26-Jan-2010, 12:38
Richard, that looks great. Thanks for all you help in steering me in the same direction; I'm halfway there...

Mark Sawyer
26-Jan-2010, 18:38
Bring On the Brassies, I've adapted to Them!

Try as we may, no one ever really adapts to the Brassies...

DavidBon
28-Feb-2015, 12:14
I want to buy it)

Tin Can
28-Feb-2015, 15:49
Now for the Horseman question.

Horseman uses the same lens board and bellows as Sinar, does a Sinar shutter work with Horseman directly and or will this new adapter work as shown with Horseman?

The eBay link is gone.

Peter De Smidt
28-Feb-2015, 16:04
Randy,

A Sinar shutter should work just fine on a Horseman monorail. I haven't done that, but I have used the bellows interchangeably on both systems. I suppose there might be some protuberance on a model of Horseman that would keep one from mounting the shutter...but the whole point of Horseman using the Sinar frames was to promote compatibility. Eventually I'm going to pick up a Sinar shutter.

I like Richard's solution.

Lachlan 717
28-Feb-2015, 16:37
Randy,

As Peter wrote, the Sinar Shutter is perfect with the Horseman L-Series cameras. It simply attaches behind the front standard, with the bellows attaching to it. I used this set up for a while before getting the Shen XPO.

It is also a much more solid solution than the one above, as the weight it borne on the standard, not the shutter.

William Whitaker
28-Feb-2015, 17:37
The eBay link is gone.

Old thread. Unfortunately.

Tin Can
28-Feb-2015, 17:47
Old thread. Unfortunately.

I know, so much of what we have linked is gone. :(

Steven Tribe
1-Mar-2015, 01:46
Mr. "**Ducky Tse " doesn't seem to list on ebay anymore. It was obviously a fine piece of work, although I am sceptical about using the sinar coupling system with so much torque.

jesse
1-Mar-2015, 11:36
I adapted my Petzval lens to fit on the Sinar shutter like this.

Misko
28-Aug-2015, 10:40
Richard,
Do you maybe remember how these items were listed / called when you purchased them?
It seems like a "sinar plate to sinar plate" on the back & "sinar plate to sinar mount' on the front?

alex from holland
28-Aug-2015, 14:36
I recently made this with a sinar shutter
http://youtu.be/kZVT3RNu7HA

Peter De Smidt
28-Aug-2015, 15:05
Nice work, Alex. I did the same thing minus the iris lens holder.

Misko
28-Aug-2015, 20:01
Alex, what is the silver part that you have attached to your wooden camera plate?

alex from holland
29-Aug-2015, 09:26
That's a self made lens plate... So nothing special

Misko
29-Aug-2015, 18:03
so a simple lens plate that you have attached back to the camera's lens plate with some spacer in between?