PDA

View Full Version : Michael A. Smith/Paula Chamlee Workshops

Michael A. Smith
25-Jan-2010, 05:42
We have announced our workshop schedule for this year. Details are here: http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/calendar.html

We will be conducting a workshop in Iceland in July and weekend Vision and Technique Workshops as follows:

Bucks County, Pennsylvania: May 28–30
London, UK: June 11–13
Paris, France: June 18–20
Gochsheim, Germany: June 25–27
Florence, Italy: July 2–4

Although Paula and I work with large-format negatives, the workshop is not format specific. Among many other comments we have received about our workshops are these:

"I'll likely never look at a photograph or my ground glass the same way again."

"There are events that occur in one's life that you consider a milestone for growth for who you are or become. I can honestly say that your workshop is one of my milestone events."

"I truly enjoyed your workshop. The experience expanded my perspective and I have not felt this level of excitement since I started in photography. The best workshop of the dozen that I have attended."

"I must say that your seminar was the best investment I have made since I bought my first shares of GE a long time ago. Not a day goes by that I do not put to use some of the vast knowledge base I learned."

Michael A. Smith

Jim Ewins
25-Jan-2010, 11:45
Michael & Paula advertised that their workshop was the last one that I'd ever need. Well it was a great workshop in a great location, Sedona, and I agree it is the last workshop I'll ever need. Paula's method of using the tripod was a revelation and I use it today. Thanks.

jshanesy
25-Jan-2010, 15:29
Paula's method of using the tripod was a revelation and I use it today. Thanks.

She's not bad with a camera either.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
25-Jan-2010, 15:42
Paula's method of using the tripod was a revelation and I use it today
Please reveal this to us? Doe she place all three legs on the ground?

Greg Blank
25-Jan-2010, 17:13
Eventually ;)

Monty McCutchen
25-Jan-2010, 22:58

dude,

that is hysterical.

monty

Don Hutton
26-Jan-2010, 00:02
dude,

that is hysterical.

monty
Have to agree! Not often the LF brethren bring humour to the party (unless pyro/drum/flatbeds/Steve whatsit count), but when they do....

G Benaim
26-Jan-2010, 10:18
Actually, for those not in on the joke, what Paula does is show you how to scan the scene to discover what else is there, beyond what you already know to look for. I found their workshop very, very useful on in all sorts of ways, from the basic approach to seeing that they teach, through the tons of technical stuff they just hand you in a platter after years of experience, to the incredible education of looking at stacks and stacks of their prints, and on and on. I can honestly say I use something they taught me every single time I do something photographic, be it shooting, printing, finishing, whatever. They pack an incredible amount of knowledge and experience into their workshops, and if you're paying attention, you can learn a whole of a lot. Can't recommend them enough. [end of testimonial, back to your regularly scheduled programming ;) ]

Vlad Soare
27-Jan-2010, 02:18
Well, that Gochsheim certainly sounds very tempting. I've been dreaming about these workshops for some time, but was always put off by the idea of having to fly to the US.
The workshop also comprises darkroom techniques. Do you have access to a well equipped darkroom in every one of those cities, or will the course cover just the theory?
How about lodging and meals? Will this be arranged for us (payed for separately, of course), or shall we be on our own?
Thank you.

Michael A. Smith
27-Jan-2010, 19:54
Well, that Gochsheim certainly sounds very tempting. I've been dreaming about these workshops for some time, but was always put off by the idea of having to fly to the US.
The workshop also comprises darkroom techniques. Do you have access to a well equipped darkroom in every one of those cities, or will the course cover just the theory?
How about lodging and meals? Will this be arranged for us (payed for separately, of course), or shall we be on our own?
Thank you.

Yes, we have darkroom facilities in each place. The Gochsheim workshop has filled we believe, but there is still space in the other three.

During the workshops we will have all meals together, although everyone will have to pay for their own. Lodging can be arranged in Italy--I believe a hotel has been already selected, where we will be staying, too. In Paris and London, you would be on your own, but there are lots of hotels in all price levels there.

Michael A. Smith

Bill_1856
27-Jan-2010, 20:32
In my 60+ years of photography, I consider my weekend workshop with Michael and Paula in Bucks County one of my most rewarding experiences. Their workshop is superb!

Stefano
28-Jan-2010, 07:00
Yes, we have darkroom facilities in each place. The Gochsheim workshop has filled we believe, but there is still space in the other three.

During the workshops we will have all meals together, although everyone will have to pay for their own. Lodging can be arranged in Italy--I believe a hotel has been already selected, where we will be staying, too

As "organizer" in Italy, I can confirm what Michael has written, here I found a good Hotel near the location where the workshop will be done, the meal will be in my home and for the demostration in darkroom we will use the mine.
If you have interested in it, you can contact Michael & Paula or also you can sign up directely by this link:

http://www.stefanogermi.com/english/newse.html

Best

Stefano Germi

Tim Meisburger
28-Jan-2010, 07:51
Too bad for me, as I am actually going to be near Gochsheim in June.

Vlad Soare
29-Jan-2010, 03:40
I tried to sign up here (http://store.michaelandpaula.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3) and noticed that Italy is not listed. Does this mean that Italy has filled, too? :(

Stefano
29-Jan-2010, 13:41
I tried to sign up here (http://store.michaelandpaula.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3) and noticed that Italy is not listed. Does this mean that Italy has filled, too? :(

Hi Vlad,
no in Italy it's not filled yet, you can signed directly by this link:

http://www.stefanogermi.com/english/newse.html

at the end of the page you can find the button to sign up.
Michael has to put the link to my site on his site,and it's been early.

I hope you can come in Italy

best

Stefano Germi

Vlad Soare
29-Jan-2010, 22:31
Thanks, Stefano. I've just signed up. :)

Stefano
30-Jan-2010, 06:12
Ok Vlad I've received it!

See you soon

Stefano