PDA

View Full Version : Monitor advice please

parasko
23-Jan-2010, 13:49
Hi folks,

I want to purchase a monitor for photo-editing, colour work but I'm confused by all the issues. I'm not technical by any stretch and my questions are based on what I have read on the net.

1. IPS or PVA? From what I have read, IPS is the way to go. However, many of the best-brand monitors, such as Eizo, are S-PVA in my price range. What gives?

2. Wide colour gamut or standard? So, wide is better for fine art colour printing to match screen and final print (Adobe RGB). What happens if I also need those same images on a website (sRGB)? How do people get around this with wide gamut monitors? Is standard in fact better if you are using one monitor for both needs?

3. Specific monitor recommendation? I have factored in between $1000-$2000 Aussie dollars (US$900-$1800), but preferably in that mid-range. I am considering one of the NEC multisync models. 24" is sufficient. Opinions?

4. In this price range, is there really much difference between brands and types with issues such as even brightness across the screen, viewing angles etc?

Any advice appreciated.

Peter De Smidt
23-Jan-2010, 16:42
Look into the Dell 2209WA. It's an e-IPS panel. I have one, and I'm very pleased with it's performance for Photoshop work. You could buy two for how much you're talking about, which would be great, as you can put all of your palettes on the second one.

RPNugent
24-Jan-2010, 06:35
Read this or other similar posts explaining the difference.

http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/choosing_an_LCD_monitor/

Dell has a habit of changing what panel is in their monitors with no notice so make sure you check specs before committing to one.

I have an NEC 2690uxi (the i is for IPS) which is probably beyond your price point and love it. No color or brightness shifts no matter how you move your head while using. Be aware that if you get an LCD you will need to calibrate it at a much lower brightness setting than it comes with or prints from it will be too dark. Their Spectravision software works great for this combined with the EyeOne display puck.

If you are using an Epson printer read Eric Chan's website for tips on calibration settings. http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/

I've also used an Eizo, but it was also IPS not PVA so can't speak for PVA quality compared to IPS.

Atul Mohidekar
24-Jan-2010, 08:59
Specific monitor recommendations:

Look at NEC 2690WUXi-2 with SpectraView-II Color Calibration Solution from X-Rite. This is an LCD wide gamut monitor that almost covers Adobe RGB gamut (97.8%). Using the X-Rite h/w+s/w solution, profiling the monitor is a breeze. There is a review of this monitor in this month's Shutterbug magzine. I think it goes for just over $1K. There is also a 30" version that uses the same wide gamut technology. There used to be a 24" version that did NOT have the same wide gamut. I'm not sure whether that has been updated in the past year.

If you want slightly larger gamut for a considerably higher price, look at LED monitors from Samsung.

// Atul

Brian Ellis
24-Jan-2010, 12:25
If you go to the digital darkroom forum at www.photo.net and search for "monitors" or something like that you'll find lots of information about various monitors in different price ranges.

Sideshow Bob
24-Jan-2010, 12:26
I have the NEC with calibrator that Atul recommended and am very pleased with it.

Gale

Ben Hopson
24-Jan-2010, 14:39
The NEC 2690WUXi2 is a very good monitor. I bought one in December and it was within your specified budget for a monitor. The SpectraViewII software works well. Also note that you can switch viewing profiles quickly from Print to sRGB etc. depending on your needs.

Visit the NEC site and read about it if you are interested.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Series/?series=171d9fbb-281e-44d8-be67-14d146e8ada0

Ben

parasko
25-Jan-2010, 03:49
Thanks for your responses.

Looks like I will buy either a NEC Multisync 2690WUXi2 or the Eizo Flexscan Premium
SX2462W.

Having read positive comments both here and in other forums re: the NEC model, I am swaying towards this monitor. However, I was hoping to purchase a 24" due to physical space contraints.

If anyone has any experience with this particular Eizo model or both monitors, it would be great to read your opinions.

Thanks again.