PDA

View Full Version : Lens hood for Schneider 121mm on 8x10

Eric Constantineau
21-Jan-2010, 00:54
Hi there !

I just bought a Schneider 121mm lens, and I will use it on an 8x10 camera. Does someone know if this lens is prone to flares ? Any idea for a hood ? I know it's a 77mm filter thread, so I taught buying a wide angle hood on ebay would do just fine, but if someone has a particular experience with this lens, it would be appreciated !

Thanks

eric black
21-Jan-2010, 06:24
any lens in the right (or wrong for that matter) situation is going to exhibit lens flare- for wide angle situations like what you are proposing, I typically use a black card either hand held or held in place with a Calumet Multiclip over the top of the lens to cut down on this phenomenon. Solutions as simple as a hat held in the same place work as well. I find that a compendium does more getting in the way and requires much more in the way of adjustments to accomplish the same purpose. BTW I have not ever owned that particular lens so cant really comment in it per se.

Eric Constantineau
21-Jan-2010, 08:07
I know that all lenses in the good/bad situation will have some flare. But is this lense "prone" to flares ?

I will also add : the camera will be used handheld... So holding a paper or a hat is out of the question here. It won't be a perfect solution but I just need to know what hood people use on that particular lens.

Thanks again

mandoman7
21-Jan-2010, 08:57
lens shades don't really help much with extreme wide angles.

ic-racer
21-Jan-2010, 16:23
I'm curious, is there a Schneider 121mm that covers 8x10?

rdenney
21-Jan-2010, 16:32
I know that all lenses in the good/bad situation will have some flare. But is this lense "prone" to flares ?

I will also add : the camera will be used handheld... So holding a paper or a hat is out of the question here. It won't be a perfect solution but I just need to know what hood people use on that particular lens.

Thanks again

The 121/8 Super Angulon is not prone to flare, but it is an older, single-coated lens and will exhibit some veiling flare in the right conditions. You can see this effect about as bad as it gets with this lens in this picture:

http://www.rickdenney.com/images/japns_maple_scan0015_lr.jpg

It appears as a subtle glow around the very bright spaces between the leaves.

In the grand scheme of things, that is very subtle veiling flare. I have never seen internal reflections or ghosting with any of my Super Angulon lenses.

I prefer to use camera-mounted compendium shades when shading is needed, rather than a screw-in shade on the lens.

Rick "yes, a 121/8 will cover 8x10--barely--if you don't mind fairly extreme darkening in the corners" Denney

Maris Rusis
21-Jan-2010, 17:35
I use a Schneider 121/8 Super Angulon on my Tachihara 8x10 a lot; several hundred exposures over the last few years.

The 121 does not properly cover 8x10 but it does cover the slightly smaller film area exposed to light in a regular 8x10 film holder. The few millimetres difference here turn impossible into possible. The other side effect of extremely limited film coverage is that the 121 has to be accurately set on the camera. A couple of millimetres high or low means image cut-off. Any front tilt or swing means image cut-off. Anything screwed onto the front of the lens, even the thinnest rim filter you can buy, will cause vignetting.

I reckon a lens-hood wide enough to stay out of the picture is way to wide to adequately shade the front element. I shade my 121 with the dark-slide or a hat held at arm's length. And I have unwanted pictures of dark-slides and hats to prove this works.

Filters can be used on the 121 provided they are big plastics or gels placed directly against the front of the lens and held on with steady hands or blobs of Blu-Tac.

Jerry Bodine
21-Jan-2010, 18:34
Just to add some numbers to quantify the coverage, according to my Sinar data from the era of the 121mm Super Angulon:
Image circle = 289mm (f/22 at infinity, of course) and has no room for movements when used on 18x24cm format which is slightly smaller than 8x10. So you can certainly expect some vignetting in the corners of the image, which may not be noticeable on the groundglass due to its clipped corners. I totally agree with Maris about shading this lens and using filters.

ic-racer
21-Jan-2010, 19:10
Thanks for the info on the 121mm, I may have to get one :). Since I projection print, some falloff at the corners is not a problem because I can crop it out. I routinely use a Symmar-S 210mm for 8x10 which also barely covers.

largeformat apt
22-Jan-2010, 15:25
Hi,
I use a 121 F8 on my Cambo SCX 810. Dead centre, level no movements, A very slight cutting of the top corners, if three millimeters, I looked at filters, didn't fit any. One day just moving the apeture collar and waived to myself. About 17mm on 35mm. I also use a Nikkor 240 f 5.6 it gives me a bit of movement. The other things to remember if using a mono rail, MAKE SURE THE RAIL IS BEHIND THE CAMERA, only did it once, and noticed after the shot was taken.
Pat.