PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Gel that will burn nicely....

Frank Petronio
16-Jan-2010, 18:32
I have an idea for some photos using fire as the light source. What I want to do is add a flammable substance to a concrete all and do a fairly long exposure through a strong ND filter....

I've used Gasoline before but it burns off too quickly. Lighter Fluid is pretty wimpy. So I need something inbetween... a gel would be idea because I could control exactly where it goes.

Any suggestions?

I've already tried some Ambroid (model airplane cement) but it burns too low and is expensive.

I figure that all you engineers and nerds are closet pyromaniacs and know you're doing ;-)

John T
16-Jan-2010, 18:50
It seems like the best product for your purpose would be Pyro Gel. This is the stuff that they use in movies when they light a person on fire. It is a gel that is spread on the person (in a firesuit if they want the person to survive) It is controllable, non-explosive.

Jim Michael
16-Jan-2010, 18:53
What type and color flame? Do you want smoke with it? What color?

Jim Edmond
16-Jan-2010, 19:07
Would Sterno work? I believe it's jellied alcohol.

Nathan Potter
16-Jan-2010, 19:29
Sterno was my thought also. Or an equivalent jellied fuel as used in camping. For more dramatic effects you can add other material such as magnesium chips for white sparkles or mothballs for smoke. Experiment a bit with small samples first, to get the feel of it.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Frank Petronio
16-Jan-2010, 19:36
I shoot B&W so who cares what color it is? ;-) Thanks.... rubber cement and sterno so far....

jhogan
16-Jan-2010, 20:07
Try Shoe-goo. Contains toluene which burns with a bright orange flame. Also excellent for concentrating and inhaling, if you're into that kind of thing.

JRFrench
16-Jan-2010, 20:33
Dissolve polystyrene foam in petrol, makes a very flammable goo :) Used to play with it as a kid, the fumes it gives off probably aren't that nice tho.

Jerry Bodine
16-Jan-2010, 20:50
Road hazard flares?

percepts
16-Jan-2010, 21:54
how big do you need the flames are will they be in shot?

vinny
16-Jan-2010, 22:10
In the film industry they use rubber cement, always. It may not burn as long as you like but just add more!

Lachlan 717
16-Jan-2010, 22:36
Naphthalene mixed with some Palm Oil...

Jim Michael
17-Jan-2010, 10:44
This (http://www.amazon.com/Real-Flame-Clean-Burning-Gel-Fuel/dp/B001MJXULY) might be the ticket.

Jim Galli
17-Jan-2010, 10:48
Hand cleaner gel.

Steve V
17-Jan-2010, 10:49
Dissolve polystyrene foam in petrol, makes a very flammable goo :) Used to play with it as a kid, the fumes it gives off probably aren't that nice tho.

Basically the formula for Napalm-B.

Steve

Ash
17-Jan-2010, 16:49
mix something with the stove fire cubes you get at camping/surplus stores?

percepts
17-Jan-2010, 16:54
He's gone very quite. Do you think he's torched himself?

Frank Petronio
17-Jan-2010, 17:45
Rubber Cement works perfectly and is reasonable ;-) thanks

Drew Wiley
17-Jan-2010, 21:48
You might call Michael Fatali.

eddie
18-Jan-2010, 04:30
He's gone very quite. Do you think he's torched himself?

now i am getting worried.....after his comments on my get together thread!?!?! lol!

i will have to go buy some fire extinguishers for sure.....you listening frank?

eddie

Jim C.
18-Jan-2010, 09:43
Contact Gary Zeller - http://www.zeller-int.com/

He may have some products that may work for you, but I suspect that you may need
a pyro license to purchase.

Be very careful with the previous suggestions if the fire doesn't get you the smoke byproducts might.

Wally
21-Jan-2010, 14:33

Back in the '60s my father was day foreman at a factory that made paper cups/plates and foam cups.

The drums of beads came from Dow and were labeled "NAPALM Ingredient A". Yes, put a stack of foam cups in gasoline or (kerosene for a longer burn time) and dissolve them and you've got Napalm.

Please exercise all due caution. The stuff burns very hot.

// Wally

Frank Petronio
21-Jan-2010, 14:57
I've been using Rubber Cement outdoors, very small amounts and being careful. I could see it being a huge accident because it sticks to you... so I'm very cautious with it. But so far it burns nicely and is controllable, just be extra careful.

rknewcomb
21-Jan-2010, 15:07
Seeing Frank Petronio asking about a gel.... - boy did I get the wrong idea until I read further.

Jean HER
22-Jan-2010, 04:49
ethanol in gel ?
no smoke and no smell

Harold_4074
25-Jan-2010, 14:17
It isn't clear whether you want the flames to provide a light source for another subject, or whether you want the flames themselves to be imaged.

Generally, heavy, complicated hydrocarbon molecules make the most dramatic fires, since the heat cracks them into carbon-rich fragments which burn with a luminous flame. (Take this too far, and you have a fire burning behind a layer of soot.) With the right mix (try roofing cement thinned with mineral spirits) you will get a very dramatic fire, and a mixture thick enough to act a bit like napalm.

You should be very cautious with anything that has a low flash point (gasoline, etc.) because of the possibility of a flash fire or even a fuel-air explosion. I would hesitate to cover a large area with rubber cement, for this reason (the solvent is probably something like hexane, as bad as or worse than gasoline).

Frank Petronio
25-Jan-2010, 14:29
Success, I might do more but I figured out how to do it relatively safely. Be careful, I take no responsibility for your own dumb mistakes!

Jim Michael
25-Jan-2010, 15:31
Burnin' Love

Frank Petronio
30-Jan-2010, 00:08
Safety First!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs131.snc3/17876_458030425645_843525645_10922338_6819743_n.jpg